Booking seats on plane?

What is Thomson/Marella like for sitting you next to each other on your flight,  if you don’t pre-book seats. We don’t  normally do it, but as the flights are almost 5hrs long, we’re thinking it might be better to book than taking the chance? Has Anyone ever been separated on their flight?  Thanks

Yes, family of 4 and youngest was about 7 at the time. We've taken the extra hit each year since. However I can't understand that why as I'm booking a package holiday ......they cannot allocate 4 seats together with the booking.....after all they don't split us up in the accommodation. A package should be such.

15 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

Yes, family of 4 and youngest was about 7 at the time. We've taken the extra hit each year since. However I can't understand that why as I'm booking a package holiday ......they cannot allocate 4 seats together with the booking.....after all they don't split us up in the accommodation. A package should be such.

It is all about revenue with TUI. Once you accept that they will be trying to squeeze every last penny from you you will be fine.

Yep, all about the money for sure and although we all see it for what it is we still need to fly. I`d be more easily duped by TUI(and other companies) if they just added it to my holiday cost and squeezed the cash out of me that way.

It is a bit of an insult to our intelligence to be asked to pay to sit together. If my job was to seat 50 couples together on a 100 seater plane and I couldn`t manage it I`d expect to be dismissed.

1 hour ago, oscarshep said:

Yep, all about the money for sure and although we all see it for what it is we still need to fly. I`d be more easily duped by TUI(and other companies) if they just added it to my holiday cost and squeezed the cash out of me that way.

It is a bit of an insult to our intelligence to be asked to pay to sit together. If my job was to seat 50 couples together on a 100 seater plane and I couldn`t manage it I`d expect to be dismissed.

All companies are out to increase revenue any way they can , the 50 in to 100 is fine ,not so simple with odd nos of travellers, singles, odds/singles selecting seats , the layout becomes more complex ,to be honest in over 100 seperate flights with thoms/tui only ever once been split up and never paid (was soon rectified on the plane), i dont believe they go out of their way to split you to try to get you to pay ,try flying with vermin of the sky, if you dont pay they would put you on seperate planes if they could

As far as I understand it the plane seating is either 2 or 3 rows of 3. The don't allow a couple to book the isle and middle seat in an outside group of 3 unless the window seat is already booked. This means they have lots of single isle seats left so a couple might sit on opposite sides of the isle. Single passengers have it better if they don't mind which row they sit in.

We always have aisle seats across from one another as we don't like being trapped in our seats this makes it easy to get to the loo and have a little walk on long haul We pay to select these seats on long haul but not on short Med flights as we always can get aisle seats together - so far 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

3 hours ago, suekay said:

I'd pay on longhaul, but not on short haul as it's not the end of the world for us if we sit apart for 3 hours

I’d normally not pay but our flights on this cruise are almost 5hrs long and don't fancy sitting at opposite ends of the plane (which actually happened on our last flight to Spain!)

16 minutes ago, meeann said:

I’d normally not pay but our flights on this cruise are almost 5hrs long and don't fancy sitting at opposite ends of the plane (which actually happened on our last flight to Spain!)

I think I'd pay if the flight was almost five hours especially as time sitting on board waiting to take off is added onto the actual flight time.It just irks me though😊