Basel to Amsterdam sept or oct

markperth

Hello all you knowledgeable people,

we are considering scenic river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam.

there is a big price difference from sept dates and October dates,  and was wondering why this maybe?  Weather related, river conditions etc.

any thoughts please.

btw we are actually on the scenic jasper next week from Budapest to Amsterdam, and have been keeping a keen eye on the river condition posts.

thanks all, mark.

G'day Mark.

We are pre-registered for Basel - Amsterdam with Scenic for 2021. This goes on sale in Jan / Feb 2020, so we can't actually answer your question.

But we will be interested in the thoughts of others with more experience on this issue - and we will be very interested in following your Budapest - Amsterdam adventure (your thoughts about cabin, food, tours, on-board experience etc). So please feel free to post your thoughts from time to time.

We did Budapest - Amsterdam with APT some years ago and had a great time (perfect weather, perfect water levels) so we hope you have an equally great time.

Cheers from Qld

Edited by helenandfrank
spelling

Hi helenandfrank,

have a a look at the thread from  1 of , it’s long but has great info about scenic etc.

almost 5 years to the day, we did scenic Budapest to Amsterdam, the same one we are doing next week. 

I always said to the misses that I would love to do it again. And we are. Given that we do a lot of travel, ocean cruising over 30, not boasting but just giving some relevance to my next quote.

we found that the service, food,  overall experience staff far more superior than a 5 star ocean cruise in one of their suites. We tend to do a lot of things by ourselves and scenic gave us the best of both worlds, we could join in any organised tour at any time, or just get out and do our own thing.

it would be hard pressed for anyone to say they did not enjoy it, out side of factors beyond Scenic’s control, river levels etc.

Most river lines seem to have peak pricing in September. We have done Basel to Amsterdam in late October and found the weather delightful, crowds minimal. Can’t imagine a better time for touring. We did the Danube and the Seine in November and had picture perfect weather on both of those cruises as well. So I am pretty much sold on later fall dates for river cruising in a Europe. I know we have probably been very lucky with weather, but I am not really very tolerant of heat and crowds so the bargain cruises in shoulder season work well for us. And you can have bad weather days at any time of year. 

Personally I would not pay the premium price for a September date but every one has different priorities. 

On 9/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, mhb1757 said:

Most river lines seem to have peak pricing in September. We have done Basel to Amsterdam in late October and found the weather delightful, crowds minimal. Can’t imagine a better time for touring. We did the Danube and the Seine in November and had picture perfect weather on both of those cruises as well. 

Very good to hear since we are cruising in late October first Basel to Amsterdam and then Paris and the Normandy beaches (B2B) in November and hoping for good dry weather.   We will pack layers.

• Thanks 1