Gratuities for beverage service- do servers get it or not?

VegasChic2014

I was reading the details about the service charges- 

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

This sounds like conflicting info. I know they charged me 20% on the drink packages, but then say the beverage service doesn't benefit from it? Am I reading this wrong? 

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this!

20% for tips is added to the bar bill and specialty dining packages for the folks who serve you there.

GSC takes care of those in the main dining room, room stewards, etc.

If you feel someone went over and above, you can give them cash tips.

16 minutes ago, VegasChic2014 said:

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

This sounds like conflicting info. I know they charged me 20% on the drink packages, but then say the beverage service doesn't benefit from it? Am I reading this wrong? 

There is no conflict.  The "overall service charge" is the DSC.   The 20% on the dining and drink packages are gratuities.

Who gets what out of either of those items is something NO ONE other than NCL knows for sure.  Many speculate but none know.  Most well reasoned people will take NCL at its word that the DSC is as defined on the FAQ, a means to fund an incentive program to encourage crew members to work together as a team.  How NCL determines who is working as a team and who isn't is actually none of anyone's business but NCL and their employees.  Bottom line is that you are more than welcome to tip (or not tip) any crew member any amount at any time and said crew member will be appreciative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasChic2014 said:

The first part of this discuss the DSC, not the service charges on the drink or dining packages. The bar servers do not benefit from it. They instead benefit from the service charges on the drink and dining packages.

The quoted paragraph shoud probably be broken into two paragraphs.