Dress code

If you are on one of the newer ships the dress code is posted outside the MDR each night and for dress to impress night, which is once a week, its just that! they sometimes allow dress shorts but no vests or open sandals for men? some passengers wear tux for men and evening dress for ladies but smart casual is ok, self service is ok if you don't like to dress up.

On the older ships the formal captains night is a little more formal with no shorts or vests and its no shorts on any of the other days in the MDR but again you can eat in the self service dressed as you wish.

Generally if you go smart casual you will be ok on all ships and in all restaurants  

• Like 1

As PC advised smart casual is the usual dress code i.e. trousers and open neck shirt for men or dress, skirt or trousers for ladies but we found found that most people make an effort to dress up on Dress to Impress night. There will be many people wearing tux or suits but just as many will wear trousers with shirt and tie and either long or short for the ladies. Just dress as you would for a nice restaurant.

• Like 1

Just back off the Dream and I would say 20% of men in the MDR were wearing shorts, maybe more which was a big change from last time. At the Medusa in the evenings maybe even higher than that. Definitely seen a big change in quite a short (pardon the pun!) time re dress code. I have no opinion on it really, for me it`s not that important although I choose to wear long trousers in the evening myself. I would expect to see casual dress become the norm throughout Marella in the next year or so. The popularity and affordability of cruising nowadays makes this inevitable.

Rather than discuss what people wear I`d rather raise the issue of their selfishness. My blood boils when I see lazy, able bodied people  hogging the lift on the ship to go up ( and even down!) one floor leaving those who genuinely rely on the lifts waiting longer than they should. This was the case last week on Dream. Sadly, this just seems to be how too many British people behave nowadays whether at sea or at home...….rant over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oscarshep said:

Just back off the Dream and I would say 20% of men in the MDR were wearing shorts, maybe more which was a big change from last time. At the Medusa in the evenings maybe even higher than that. Definitely seen a big change in quite a short (pardon the pun!) time re dress code. I have no opinion on it really, for me it`s not that important although I choose to wear long trousers in the evening myself. I would expect to see casual dress become the norm throughout Marella in the next year or so. The popularity and affordability of cruising nowadays makes this inevitable.

Rather than discuss what people wear I`d rather raise the issue of their selfishness. My blood boils when I see lazy, able bodied people  hogging the lift on the ship to go up ( and even down!) one floor leaving those who genuinely rely on the lifts waiting longer than they should. This was the case last week on Dream. Sadly, this just seems to be how too many British people behave nowadays whether at sea or at home...….rant over.

hi oscarshep sorry you had such a disappointing experience I must admit I have never experienced this, or witnessed it, when on Dream but have had problems on the Discovery with children and lifts😒 . We were on Dream earlier this year and did not see any shorts in the MDR  but can fully relate to what you are saying, but apart from all that you must have enjoyed our favourite entertainment couple, 2Intense sad I know but we have known them since they started on Thomson over ten years ago.

Edited by Pensioncruiser
Spelling
  • Like 1

WE were on Explorer 1 in Jan this year in the Caribbean.

About 25% of male pax wore tuxes in the MDR on dress to impress nights. Most others wore smart casual and odd one's were tatty.

Lifts.....If it's 3 or more floors up, we take the lift. I have a dodgy knee which is only apparent when it does a give way "jiggle"

Always walk when it's down we are going.

Yes, there are a lot of people of all sorts who take the lift everywhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

The craft beers are great definitely worth the upgrade to premium package alown and the better wines are really good. 😉 

What craft beers? only 2 available and one of them has so many hops it is revolting IMO

I think Marella should increase the variety of popular bottled beers as Old Heckled Spen gets boring after 19 days, if it lasts that long

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

The craft beers are great definitely worth the upgrade to premium package alown and the better wines are really good. 😉 

What are you drinking PC  Is there any decent draught beers on?

hope you are having a good time

Edited by Brummijam

2 hours ago, Brummijam said:

What are you drinking PC  Is there any decent draught beers o n?

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

What craft beers? only 2 available and one of them has so many hops it is revolting IMO

I think Marella should increase the variety of popular bottled beers as Old Heckled Spen gets boring after 19 days, if it lasts that long

We all have different expectation Dave and after three days still working through them.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, Brummijam said:

Hope you have a great holiday mate, Sink a couple of pints for me.🍺

Am I jealous? You bet.🤢

Keep well.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, Brummijam said:

What are you drinking PC  Is there any decent draught beers on?

Sorry BJ wifi problems, lots of draft beers on premium,hobbgoblin,spec hen and Abbot lots more and seventeen bottle/cans beers ciders , I like the Chimay or Duval and they have a nice IPA . Happy days.

Edited by Pensioncruiser