La Guardia to Manhatten to Cape Liberty

coronadogal

My DD and I are from Seattle and are doing a cruise on Empress of the Seas May 18, 2020.  I am thinking since we have the SWA companion pass that we will fly into La Guardia the Friday or Saturday before and stay in NY to see a play and sight see.  Looking for recommendations for hotel that then would be convenient to get to Cape Liberty but also for getting around NY.  How would it be best to get to cruise ship terminal on Monday?  We will probably fly home from EWR using an Alaska companion pass.  Airfare schedules aren't out for SWA yet but want to have a plan in place when they are open so I can make final decisions.  Haven't been to NY since 2008 so it's a bit fuzzy.  Open to other ideas.  Thanks for the help.

I thought Southwest is no longer going to fly out of EWR.  You would have to fly into LGA.  If you go into LGA then you could take uber or taxi to a hotel in Manhattan.  If you don't want to uber around Manhattan, then suggest you stay near Times Square and you could walk to a show.  On departure day; arrange for uber or car service to take you from hotel to Cape Liberty.  I know there are some experts on this forum who will want to know what day you are coming in; price range for hotel, and some other key facts.  

Edited by AF-1

That’s a tight budget for Manhattan.  Lastminutetravel.com is offering a bunch of Holiday Inn properties that are non cancellable that would come out about $200 including tax and a bit more if you get 2 double beds.  Are you buying trip insurance that covers your whole trip?

Usually buy insurance for at least the cruise. I tend to stay away from hotels that are non-refundable. I have AAA so sometimes the difference between the two isn't significant. I hadn't started looking at hotels so couldn't remember how expensive it was. Small chance we can stay with some acquaintances. Was interested if one area made it easier to get over to the port than another. From what I recall, it's easy to get around NY by subway or walking.

It would be helpful if you could identify your sightseeing objectives so we could recommend hotel areas.  If you fly SWA to La Guardia in Queens, you have to pay for a cab, Uber, or car service to get to your hotel in Manhattan.  You don’t want to stay in Queens if you’re sailing from Cape Liberty because it will cost a lot more to get yourselves to CL in NJ.  Another thing to consider is that LGA is under serious construction - look for threads about that on this forum.

Another option is to forget about SWA and use your Alaska companion fare and go round trip to Newark.  Train to Newark Penn Station from the airport is $13.25/pp - free airtrain to the Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit to New York Penn Station.  If you’re really on a tight budget, consider staying at the Hilton Doubletree Newark Penn Station (newly refurbished as a Doubletree), which has an AAA rate of $127 plus tax for 2 doubles for May 15-18 plus a free hotel shuttle from the airport.  The hotel is connected by a skywalk to NJ Transit train to New York Penn ($5.25/pp) and PATH to World Trade ($2.75/pp - read the sticky at the top of this forum about weekend World Trade Service which involves a free transfer at Exchange Place to a ferry to World Trade).  Uber to Cape Liberty should be in the $20-30 range.

Post back for more suggestions when you focus your plans.  You have to balance time, money, and stress when dealing with the NY metro area.

2 hours ago, 138east said:

It would be helpful if you could identify your sightseeing objectives so we could recommend hotel areas.  If you fly SWA to La Guardia in Queens, you have to pay for a cab, Uber, or car service to get to your hotel in Manhattan.  You don’t want to stay in Queens if you’re sailing from Cape Liberty because it will cost a lot more to get yourselves to CL in NJ.  Another thing to consider is that LGA is under serious construction - look for threads about that on this forum.

Another option is to forget about SWA and use your Alaska companion fare and go round trip to Newark.  Train to Newark Penn Station from the airport is $13.25/pp - free airtrain to the Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit to New York Penn Station.  If you’re really on a tight budget, consider staying at the Hilton Doubletree Newark Penn Station (newly refurbished as a Doubletree), which has an AAA rate of $127 plus tax for 2 doubles for May 15-18 plus a free hotel shuttle from the airport.  The hotel is connected by a skywalk to NJ Transit train to New York Penn ($5.25/pp) and PATH to World Trade ($2.75/pp - read the sticky at the top of this forum about weekend World Trade Service which involves a free transfer at Exchange Place to a ferry to World Trade).  Uber to Cape Liberty should be in the $20-30 range.

Post back for more suggestions when you focus your plans.  You have to balance time, money, and stress when dealing with the NY metro area.

Thank you for the information. I was thinking it would be easier to split among airports but maybe not which is why I was asking. I'll look into your NJ suggestions. We've done most of the tourist things so other than trying to see Hamilton (good luck I know) I hadn't asked DD what she wants to do. Haven't been to WTC memorial so that might be an option. I definitely want to reduce stress so we can enjoy ourselves. 

48 minutes ago, coronadogal said:

Thank you for the information. I was thinking it would be easier to split among airports but maybe not which is why I was asking. I'll look into your NJ suggestions. We've done most of the tourist things so other than trying to see Hamilton (good luck I know) I hadn't asked DD what she wants to do. Haven't been to WTC memorial so that might be an option. I definitely want to reduce stress so we can enjoy ourselves. 

Here’s the ongoing saga about LGA.  

Personally I love Alaska Airlines and fly them to Portland 1-2 times a year.  I avoid SWA and would never choose to fly them to LGA if there were other options.

The WTC Memorial is free, but the WTC museum requires tickets.

We used to be in San Diego and needed to get to Baltimore and Milwaukee for kids colleges so needed flexibility of SWA.  Now that we are all in Seattle, I am beginning to see the benefits of Alaska since they are premier in Seattle and will start using them more.  Hard to give up though the flexibility of SWA booking and changing flights with no penalties.  I will watch for deals on Alaska.  It's still early so prices seem high.

• 1 month later...

I have been watching airfare and my best option seems to be Alaska Airlines going into EWR on May 16 and leaving from JFK May 25, which is Memorial Day.  The price out of EWR on that Monday is $400 difference.  I can do RT with companion pass for $556.19 for the two of us.  I figured we have plenty of time to get to JFK from the ship or even take Royal Caribbean's tour of NY and airport drop off for $100/pp.  Does this price seem reasonable for air?  The companion pass I am trying to use needs to be booked by Nov 18, 2019.  I have another companion pass I can use if I wait.  Not sure if prices will get any better?!  I booked the Hilton at Newark Penn Station for the 2 nights before the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, coronadogal said:

I have been watching airfare and my best option seems to be Alaska Airlines going into EWR on May 16 and leaving from JFK May 25, which is Memorial Day.  The price out of EWR on that Monday is $400 difference.  I can do RT with companion pass for $556.19 for the two of us.  I figured we have plenty of time to get to JFK from the ship or even take Royal Caribbean's tour of NY and airport drop off for $100/pp.  Does this price seem reasonable for air?  The companion pass I am trying to use needs to be booked by Nov 18, 2019.  I have another companion pass I can use if I wait.  Not sure if prices will get any better?!  I booked the Hilton at Newark Penn Station for the 2 nights before the cruise.

Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor. There are some parts of Newark that are better than others. I know because I worked there for four years. Hope you have a great cruise.