Docking position

canyoncam

Is there any way to know which berth the ship will dock at? My sister wants a balcony and is requesting she can look at the mainland while on the ship. I believe it is impossible to know this for sure as the berths aren't assigned until much closer to actual port day. And then they sometimes pull in or back in for weather reasons. But I just want to make sure I've given her accurate information as she wasnt happy with my answer 🙄

Which ship is she sailing on? Which ship will determine which pier you are at.

Most ships dock with bow toward the island.  Which side of the pier is determined upon arrival and presence or expected presence  of other ships.

If by seeing the mainland, she means the mainland of Mexico, that may be difficult to do depending on the weather.  And it will be far away. 

If she means the island's land, the buildings, etc., it will depend upon if another ship is on the other side of her ship.

At the Punta Langosta Pier, if her ship is the only ship in she can see a lot of the northern end of town, and either up toward the airport or down toward the other two piers.

If at the International Pier, she may see either the Puerta Maya Pier ships or up toward Punta Langosta.

If at the Puerta Maya pier, she may see the International pier or south toward the southern beaches.

46 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Which ship is she sailing on? Which ship will determine which pier you are at.

Most ships dock with bow toward the island.  Which side of the pier is determined upon arrival and presence or expected presence  of other ships.

If by seeing the mainland, she means the mainland of Mexico, that may be difficult to do depending on the weather.  And it will be far away. 

If she means the island's land, the buildings, etc., it will depend upon if another ship is on the other side of her ship.

At the Punta Langosta Pier, if her ship is the only ship in she can see a lot of the northern end of town, and either up toward the airport or down toward the other two piers.

If at the International Pier, she may see either the Puerta Maya Pier ships or up toward Punta Langosta.

If at the Puerta Maya pier, she may see the International pier or south toward the southern beaches.

Thanks.

Carnival Legend next February and the mainland of Mexico for the water/ocean view. And yes, I mean it’s IMPOSSIBLE to know for sure how the weather will be that day and if another ship will berth next to them. She just wants to know the best chance of getting her view so wants to know which side, port or starboard, she should book.

Based on what you’ve said and what I recalled port side would overall be best?

But if it pulls in forward or another ship pulls between them and mainland I know she’ll pout. At least I am not sailing with her. 

Well first of all, I doubt even if she were on an aft balcony last ship in, that she would see much of the main land. The channel is about 10-12 miles wide. 

The Legend will most likely dock at Puerta Maya.  That is what's currently showing on the Puerta Maya port schedule.  https://www.puertamaya.com/port-schedule.aspx

Assuming that schedule is correct, every day the ship is in port it arrives early. 8AM.   The other ship or ships (2) arrive around 10AM.  

If memory serves correctly, the first ship, or largest ship usually ties off on the pier's starboard side forward. Right side of pier facing the Dufry shop. Thus the views of anything other than ships would be from a starboard balcony, as a port balcony would look out to the International pier and potentially be blocked or partially blocked by the arrival of the other two ships.

Of course that's not set in stone and if the legend ties off on the port side of the pier (left side of pier facing the Dufry shop), she'll have no views of any land once the other ships arrive.

Edited by crewsweeper

Thanks Crewsweeper!

I just wanted confirmation that there are “NO GUARANTEES”

I am flexible and would just sit in the Serenity area for my views but she wants them from her own balcony, which I can understand. 

Edited by canyoncam
Add