Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi 

Santa cruse de Palma is an island in the Canary  Islands group  and is in the Atlantic ocean. 

Unfortunately  this not Palma de Mallorca, so I can't help you 😢 

Roger 

Ugh, sorry, I put Palma de Cruz in the search and it took me here, I didnt even realize it took me to the wrong place!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I asked earlier about bicycling in La Palma. Roger you are a great source of information and I got some rental companies. It also looks great to rent a car and explore. We love to bike (not on mountain roads) Could we bike along the coast then rent a car for the afternoon to venture out to a town or beach depending on the October weather? Would love to hear your opinion and suggestions. Sorry I tried to find you DIY not new, but couldn't locate it. Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, TBruc said:

I believe I asked earlier about bicycling in La Palma. Roger you are a great source of information and I got some rental companies. It also looks great to rent a car and explore. We love to bike (not on mountain roads) Could we bike along the coast then rent a car for the afternoon to venture out to a town or beach depending on the October weather? Would love to hear your opinion and suggestions. Sorry I tried to find you DIY not new, but couldn't locate it. Thanks in advance!

Hi Not sure if you are on the right island La Palma is in the Canary islands.

I can only help with Palma de Mallorca.

Roger b 

8 minutes ago, TBruc said:

Palma de Mallorca 😃

12 minutes ago, TBruc said:

Palma de Mallorca 😃

Hi, 

You are in the right thread now.

I don't think you will be to do a cycle ride and hire a car.

There is a lovely cycle ride from the port all along the the coast for miles.

http://www.portbikemallorca.com/en/

If you hire a car for the day there are many things to see just look back at my past posts.

https://arashrentacar.com/

They will leave the car at the port to pick up and return to the port.

Roger b 

22 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi, 

You are in the right thread now.

I don't think you will be to do a cycle ride and hire a car.

There is a lovely cycle ride from the port all along the the coast for miles.

http://www.portbikemallorca.com/en/

If you hire a car for the day there are many things to see just look back at my past posts.

https://arashrentacar.com/

They will leave the car at the port to pick up and return to the port.

Roger b 

Hi, 

I forgot  to mention  that October  is my best month  in Mallorca. 

Sea warm, nice temperatures,  and the crowds have gone .

Roger b 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm hoping for some help.  My wife & I are arriving on Sunday, June 2 '24.  We will be on the island from 12pm-11pm.  Our plan was to rent a car and follow one of the routes suggested, but it appears as though Arash Rentals is closed on Sundays.  We are hoping for a recommendation for another rental option that would be open on that day, & would accommodate a late return.

4 hours ago, Jesse B said:

Hi, I'm hoping for some help.  My wife & I are arriving on Sunday, June 2 '24.  We will be on the island from 12pm-11pm.  Our plan was to rent a car and follow one of the routes suggested, but it appears as though Arash Rentals is closed on Sundays.  We are hoping for a recommendation for another rental option that would be open on that day, & would accommodate a late return.

Hi ,

I think  If you contact Arash they will leave a car for you at the port ,with a locked key box, that you return to the port ,this can all be done on line .

Failing this the only other option to hire a car would be the airport, you have plenty of time as it will not take longer that 30mins to get to the airport by taxi.

Roger b 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roger B! What a wealth of information you have! We are two adults in port June 13 at 12 noon and departing at 8 p.m. What is the closest lovely, quieter beach to the cruise ship pier in Palma? We would like opportunity to rent chairs and possibly umbrellas but don't need other amenities. Second question -- instead of beach on our own, I'm considering a 4-hour catamaran sailing from La Lonja Marina Charter at 2:30 p.m. but my husband is very nervous we won't make it back to the ship by the 8 p.m. sailing. Can you provide advice on availability of taxis from port to La Lonja Marina and then if there should be some to take us back? My research shows it should be about 15-minute drive from port to the marina. Thank you!!! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, traveluphill said:

Hello Roger B! What a wealth of information you have! We are two adults in port June 13 at 12 noon and departing at 8 p.m. What is the closest lovely, quieter beach to the cruise ship pier in Palma? We would like opportunity to rent chairs and possibly umbrellas but don't need other amenities. Second question -- instead of beach on our own, I'm considering a 4-hour catamaran sailing from La Lonja Marina Charter at 2:30 p.m. but my husband is very nervous we won't make it back to the ship by the 8 p.m. sailing. Can you provide advice on availability of taxis from port to La Lonja Marina and then if there should be some to take us back? My research shows it should be about 15-minute drive from port to the marina. Thank you!!! 

Hi,

The Nearest beach is Cala Mayor,  Very near the port 10 mins in a taxi you could walk in about 30 mins.

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/cala-mayor-beach-palma-de-mallorca-cala-major-(beach-resort)-664263,

Not my choice if you want a quiet beach, this is a very small beach ,lovely setting ,20 mins by taxi ,going back to the port you might have 10 min walk into the village of Portals nous where there is a taxi rank or the bus .

https://www.fincallorca.com/mallorca/beach/cala-bendinat

You will find it a struggle to get back it is at least 4.5 hours , I would not take a chance on the catamaran tour.

Roger b

Edited by roger b
A bit missing

• 2 weeks later...

Last Nov 2 we visited Valldemossa and Palma including a guided inside visit of the Cathedral. Both fantastic!
Again this year we arrive on an NCL ship on Sat Oct 19 at noon that departs at 8pm.
Is DIY doable to Soller and Port of Soller, say between 12:30pm and 5pm? If there was time, it would be fun to take the tram between the two. If yes for any of it, how so?
If the information is still correct, I read a previous post you wrote on how to find the bus.

2 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Last Nov 2 we visited Valldemossa and Palma including a guided inside visit of the Cathedral. Both fantastic!
Again this year we arrive on an NCL ship on Sat Oct 19 at noon that departs at 8pm.
Is DIY doable to Soller and Port of Soller, say between 12:30pm and 5pm? If there was time, it would be fun to take the tram between the two. If yes for any of it, how so?
If the information is still correct, I read a previous post you wrote on how to find the bus.

Hi ,

You could get the 1.30 train would get you Soller at 2.30 , so you should  be able to do the tram to Port de Soller the bus back can be found by looking  at Google  maps .

https://www.tib.org/ca/linies-i-horaris/autobus/-/linia/204.

Rogerb 

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi ,

You could get the 1.30 train would get you Soller at 2.30 , so you should  be able to do the tram to Port de Soller the bus back can be found by looking  at Google  maps .

https://www.tib.org/ca/linies-i-horaris/autobus/-/linia/204.

Rogerb 

Thank you!

Should I pre-purchase tickets? If so, how far in advance would you suggest?

Do we re-trace our steps to Soller, or is there a bus directly from Port de Sollar to Palma and near the ship?

11 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Thank you!

Should I pre-purchase tickets? If so, how far in advance would you suggest?

Do we re-trace our steps to Soller, or is there a bus directly from Port de Sollar to Palma and near the ship?

There is no bus from the Port to Port de Soller ,If you decide  to get the bus you will have to get to the bus station ,get a taxi to Plaza Espana where it starts .

You should  not have problem  getting  a place on the train back as most cruise people  will not be coming back to Palma until later

Rogerb 

19 minutes ago, roger b said:

There is no bus from the Port to Port de Soller ,If you decide  to get the bus you will have to get to the bus station ,get a taxi to Plaza Espana where it starts .

You should  not have problem  getting  a place on the train back as most cruise people  will not be coming back to Palma until later

Rogerb 

Please excuse me, to be clear, from Port de Soller we would take a bus back to Soller, then a bus back to Palma?

3 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

Please excuse me, to be clear, from Port de Soller we would take a bus back to Soller, then a bus back to Palma?

We are not the same page.

You are taking the tram and train back from Port de Soller.

This what I proposed.

(1) Cruise terminal to port de Soller via bus or taxi.

(2) Spend a little time in Port de Soller and then get the tram back to Soller.

(3) Then take the 1.30 train back to Palma from Soller and spend 2/3 hrs in Palma before returning to the cruise terminal.

Hope this now clearer look back to how it is done I have been over various options before with times and plans for your day out.

Roger b 

9 hours ago, roger b said:

We are not the same page.

You are taking the tram and train back from Port de Soller.

This what I proposed.

(1) Cruise terminal to port de Soller via bus or taxi.

(2) Spend a little time in Port de Soller and then get the tram back to Soller.

(3) Then take the 1.30 train back to Palma from Soller and spend 2/3 hrs in Palma before returning to the cruise terminal.

Hope this now clearer look back to how it is done I have been over various options before with times and plans for your day out.

Roger b 

I see we are not on the same page. : )  As mentioned #638, we dock at noon until 8pm.  

Thanks for your patience in trying to help me figure out if we can DIY to Port de Soller and experience the tram (or even just Soller for a train ride) with such a late arrival.

1 minute ago, Adventures ahead said:

I see we are not on the same page. : )  As mentioned #638, we dock at noon until 8pm.  

Thanks for your patience in trying to help me figure out if we can DIY to Port de Soller and experience the tram (or even just Soller for a train ride) with such a late arrival.

So Sorry its me that somehow thought your ship was in port from 8 am until 6 pm

https://trendesoller.com/eng/timetable

Should be no problem ,Get the 1.30 train from Palma and the 5.15 back to Palma buy your tickets on line , this will get you back to Palma by 6.15 in plenty of time .

rogerb

24 minutes ago, roger b said:

So Sorry its me that somehow thought your ship was in port from 8 am until 6 pm

https://trendesoller.com/eng/timetable

Should be no problem ,Get the 1.30 train from Palma and the 5.15 back to Palma buy your tickets on line , this will get you back to Palma by 6.15 in plenty of time .

rogerb

Thanks again!

On 4/15/2024 at 4:28 PM, TBruc said:

Yes, sorry I guess it’s just Palma oops 

hi

We know it is to get confused. Just to clarify and help to understand

PALMA:

1- City: PALMA, island: Mallorca  (Balearic islands)

2- City: SANTA CRUZ DE LA PALMA, island: La Palma (Canary islands). Do not confuse with Santa Cruz... de Tenerife (both are island capitals but first La Palma island, second Tenerife island)

3- City: LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, island: Gran Canaria (Canary islands).... and capital of a province named Las Palmas.

In addition

4- Palma de Gandía, south of Valencia

5- Palma del río, inner Andalucia

6- La Palma del Condado, near Seville direction Portugal

7- La Palma del Cervelló, near Barcelona

5 hours ago, alserrod said:

hi

We know it is to get confused. Just to clarify and help to understand

PALMA:

1- City: PALMA, island: Mallorca  (Balearic islands)

2- City: SANTA CRUZ DE LA PALMA, island: La Palma (Canary islands). Do not confuse with Santa Cruz... de Tenerife (both are island capitals but first La Palma island, second Tenerife island)

3- City: LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, island: Gran Canaria (Canary islands).... and capital of a province named Las Palmas.

In addition

4- Palma de Gandía, south of Valencia

5- Palma del río, inner Andalucia

6- La Palma del Condado, near Seville direction Portugal

7- La Palma del Cervelló, near Barcelona

Hi

Well this correct but I don't understand how you could be confused !!!