Best of Oslo Shore Excursion

shel003

I will be travelling on the Island Princess next year and making a stop in Oslo Norway.  I use a wheelchair to get around.  I booked the "best of Oslo without lunch" shore excursion through the cruise line because it had a handicap icon next to it and in the detailed itinerary stated that the motor coach was wheelchair accessible and "steps could be avoided", however when I contacted the shore excursion office for another matter, they informed me that the motor coach for this excursion had no motorized lift.  I replied asking for clarification about the excursion, citing the information from the description.  The excursion office was unable to clarify whether the motor coach may have a ramp instead of a lift and suggested I wait until onboard the cruise and ask their excursion desk.  I would rather not wait until the last minute hoping that I can still see the sights.  Has anyone been on this excursion and may be able to give me more information on whether the motor coach has an accessible option for boarding such as a ramp that may fold out of the floor or something???  Thanks in advance.

I have no experience with this tour, but I suspect "steps could be avoided" referred to sites on the tour, not to the bus.

Usually the wheelchair is kept in the luggage compartment below and the person must use the bus steps to get onto/off of the bus.

However, Easy Oslo (Wheelchair accessible) tour says " This departure is space set aside on lift-equipped vehicles for Wheelchair Accessible passengers." But this is not as complete a tour as the one you are asking about.

We were actually on the Regal in Oslo two weeks ago. It was a short day in port so we decided to take a tour with Alla Tours. They have a few different tours offered but am uncertain about accommodating handicapped passengers. They had a coach for transportation and several people used walkers but no wheelchairs. Maybe look at their site and see if there is one that appeals. They are excellent with communication. Another plug, we used them in St. Petersburg as well, cannot say enough positive things about their tours and guides. 

9 hours ago, caribill said:

I have no experience with this tour, but I suspect "steps could be avoided" referred to sites on the tour, not to the bus.

Usually the wheelchair is kept in the luggage compartment below and the person must use the bus steps to get onto/off of the bus.

However, Easy Oslo (Wheelchair accessible) tour says " This departure is space set aside on lift-equipped vehicles for Wheelchair Accessible passengers." But this is not as complete a tour as the one you are asking about.

I saw that they have an accessible tour (the Easy Oslo one you mentioned) but this is mostly a "drive by" tour and I don't want to be on a motor coach the whole time.  I wish cruise lines understood that just because one is in a wheelchair doesn't mean they don't want more active and engaging tours.  

The "steps could be avoided" comment was directly posted under the the accessibility information for the motor coach and it was labeled as wheelchair accessible.  The way that princess details their itinerary they provide accessibility info, walking distance, number of steps etc for each destination on the tour as well as the motor coach.  All of the sites were listed as accessible as well as the motor coach.  That's where my confusion lies. 

31 minutes ago, JoRoy218 said:

We were actually on the Regal in Oslo two weeks ago. It was a short day in port so we decided to take a tour with Alla Tours. They have a few different tours offered but am uncertain about accommodating handicapped passengers. They had a coach for transportation and several people used walkers but no wheelchairs. Maybe look at their site and see if there is one that appeals. They are excellent with communication. Another plug, we used them in St. Petersburg as well, cannot say enough positive things about their tours and guides. 

I checked out the site and all of their tours state that they are not accessible.  I can transfer from my chair to a car or van and put my collapsible wheelchair in the trunk, but their prices were pretty expensive for just two people (as I would have to do a private tour).  The cruise line seemed to have the best price for what we wanted to see and do, that is why I was really hoping that the excursion was truly accessible as it was described.