Free wifi on Meraviglia

jimbri

I have the All in package which includes free limited wifi. How do I connect when I get on the ship?  Do I keep my phone on airplane mode?  I have an android.  Don't want to be charged extra by my provider.  Also I won't be able to send text messages home if I am correct. I would need a separate chat app.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We had wifi on Meraviglia in March and had Samsung phone.  You connect direct to their wifi- no issue.  BUT, when you are done, make sure you shut off wifi as you might have apps that use it in the background.  This will eat thru your limit.  Our family of 4 (2 teens) had 1 gig each (shared 4gig).  I would check work emails 3x a day and kids would message friends only 2x a day.  It was perfect.  No one was on their phones too long at all.  And obviously don't post 40pics a day to facebook.

• Like 1

There'll be an internet login code on your cruise card. When you open your wifi connections they'll be an MSC one. You create an account using the code and password, then you're good to go. But as stated, just ensure you start and stop your sessions to avoid using all of your data. It does automatically log you out after a certain time but background apps still eat up your allowance. 

I'd leave your phone in airplane mode to ensure you don't connect to the maritime network and incur charges from that either. 

• Like 1

Here is what I did on my last cruise:

Before I left home, downloaded the app, "What's App"

(This allows texting between others who have the app. using only wi-fi)

Kept my phone in "Airplane Mode" throughout my trip, from the time I boarded my intercontinental flight until I landed back on US shores.

Used wi-fi only on the ship and in foreign ports/cities.  

I have unlimited data, so that was never an issue.

YMMV

Hope this helps...

There are many article on the web about avoiding extra cell phone charges when traveling overseas, I suggest you read a few of them.

Happy cruising!!

• Like 1