Senation..what I wish I knew before

basketballdad

5 day Sensation Miami Nassau Half Moon Cay and Grand Turks.

Embarkation fastest ever about 10 minutes.   Ship was at Port D if you take Uber.   Not allowed in state rooms until 130 pm so if u come early just know that.  Lunch is open of course.  Luggage took about an hour.

Cabin steward came by and asked if we wanted morning or evening cabin service and his sheet also said both so we said both and he did.  Also asked for ice and he supplied a bucket of ice all cruise.  We tipped extra at the end.

We had a back balcony which was good.  Most beds in most cabins run parallel to the ship, meaning as the bow goes up and down your foot end of the bed goes up and down slightly if that make sense.  However for the few cabins at the aft the beds run perpendicular to the ship meaning the bed goes up and down left to right instead of foot to head.  It was just weird to be rocked that way all night.

Nassau is the only port on this cruise you need both your key card and I.d.  a driver's license is all you need for this cruise. No passport.  The other parts needed just your sign and sail card.  

We walked 3 blocks south and 3 blocks east from the port and took a city bus on an unnarrated island tour for a buck and a quarter.  You pay at the end.  Bus 19 is a good one to see behind the scenes of you have done this island alot.  

Private island... No tips...it was very hot.  Bring lots of sunscreen.  Excellent cell phone service. 

Grand Turks.  It was so hot the locals were swearing badly.  There is limited free beach  chairs and cabanas and such right off the boat on the left of their pier so you want to be the first off.  The green umbrellas are free and the blue chairs behind them are free. First come first served.  The others are $25 for 2 chairs and an umbrella.  

The 2nd night is formal night and an upgraded menu.  Be sure to try the rare finds like frog legs if that is your thing.  Most of the dinning room tables were for 8 to 12 people. Long gone are the days of tables for 2 and 4.  Every night they would stop service and the staff dance.  It use to be 1 night on cruised we took in the past.  Now everynight.  The background music is the same track each night.  We are dessert to Kenny g, entrees to a remake of Richard Marx, each night. It became a joke at our table.  Oh, this song is on, must be time for the bread..etc.

By far the best part of the cruise was Deon the cruise director.   On 3 nights he had an event in the atrium about 845 pm. This is a must do.  It might be listed as name that song or something but just go. He had hundreds of people leaning over the edges of all the levels in the palm of his hand.

IMHO one of the best vocalists at sea that we've seen is with the band Sixth Element.  They played most nights midship level 9.   Mostly standards from the 80s and 90s.  Some before.  They nailed so many songs so close that my phone app was showing the titles and original artist.  They have a new big fan   the crowds got bigger each night as passengers learned of them.

The ship is old and worn out.  They have worked hard with upkeep but the price was right to overlook stuff.  The cabins have a hair drier and in the shower there are soap and shampoo dispensers.  One power outlet in cabin and 1 in bathroom.  We brought a very small splitter to charge 3 devices.

Internet and cell phone...nassau if you have TMobile its local.  Others international plans work.  Half moon cay cell tower right by where dock is.  Turks the same.  On the sea day about 4 pm and off and on all night you are nearby towers on the islands you pass to get phone and internet.  In other words just make sure you are not on cellular at sea which is the ships towers, and you can stay connected without buying the ships internet package. 

Overall a Nice cheap getaway.

2 hours ago, basketballdad said:

Embarkation fastest ever about 10 minutes.   Ship was at Port D if you take Uber.   Not allowed in state rooms until 130 pm so if u come early just know that.  Lunch is open of course.  Luggage took about an hour.

Cabin steward came by and asked if we wanted morning or evening cabin service and his sheet also said both so we said both and he did.  Also asked for ice and he supplied a bucket of ice all cruise.  We tipped extra at the end.

We had a back balcony which was good.  Most beds in most cabins run parallel to the ship, meaning as the bow goes up and down your foot end of the bed goes up and down slightly if that make sense.  However for the few cabins at the aft the beds run perpendicular to the ship meaning the bed goes up and down left to right instead of foot to head.  It was just weird to be rocked that way all night.

Nassau is the only port on this cruise you need both your key card and I.d.  a driver's license is all you need for this cruise. No passport.  The other parts needed just your sign and sail card.  

We walked 3 blocks south and 3 blocks east from the port and took a city bus on an unnarrated island tour for a buck and a quarter.  You pay at the end.  Bus 19 is a good one to see behind the scenes of you have done this island alot.  

Private island... No tips...it was very hot.  Bring lots of sunscreen.  Excellent cell phone service. 

Grand Turks.  It was so hot the locals were swearing badly.  There is limited free beach  chairs and cabanas and such right off the boat on the left of their pier so you want to be the first off.  The green umbrellas are free and the blue chairs behind them are free. First come first served.  The others are $25 for 2 chairs and an umbrella.  

The 2nd night is formal night and an upgraded menu.  Be sure to try the rare finds like frog legs if that is your thing.  Most of the dinning room tables were for 8 to 12 people. Long gone are the days of tables for 2 and 4.  Every night they would stop service and the staff dance.  It use to be 1 night on cruised we took in the past.  Now everynight.  The background music is the same track each night.  We are dessert to Kenny g, entrees to a remake of Richard Marx, each night. It became a joke at our table.  Oh, this song is on, must be time for the bread..etc.

By far the best part of the cruise was Deon the cruise director.   On 3 nights he had an event in the atrium about 845 pm. This is a must do.  It might be listed as name that song or something but just go. He had hundreds of people leaning over the edges of all the levels in the palm of his hand.

IMHO one of the best vocalists at sea that we've seen is with the band Sixth Element.  They played most nights midship level 9.   Mostly standards from the 80s and 90s.  Some before.  They nailed so many songs so close that my phone app was showing the titles and original artist.  They have a new big fan   the crowds got bigger each night as passengers learned of them.

The ship is old and worn out.  They have worked hard with upkeep but the price was right to overlook stuff.  The cabins have a hair drier and in the shower there are soap and shampoo dispensers.  One power outlet in cabin and 1 in bathroom.  We brought a very small splitter to charge 3 devices.

Internet and cell phone...nassau if you have TMobile its local.  Others international plans work.  Half moon cay cell tower right by where dock is.  Turks the same.  On the sea day about 4 pm and off and on all night you are nearby towers on the islands you pass to get phone and internet.  In other words just make sure you are not on cellular at sea which is the ships towers, and you can stay connected without buying the ships internet package. 

NOT sure what you mean about WISH I KNEW BEFORE? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, basketballdad said:

Thanks for posting this.  We will be going on the sensation next week.  I have been on her sister so I know what to expect.  It was a great deal though that fit the time I had to get away for a bit.  If I heard correctly, only balconies and suites get hair dryers.  We will have an ocean view this time and I don't think I will be given a hair dryer.  No big deal to me though.  I don't usually use one.  I am glad you had a nice time.  I will look for the band you mentioned, Sixth Element.  

7 hours ago, basketballdad said:

Well,almost everything starting that we couldn't get into our rooms until 130 to what the internet situation was especially on half moon cay.

That is not just the case on the Sensation. On all Carnival ships the rooms are not ready until 130 pm unless you buy Faster to the Fun or have platinum or diamond status. 

HTH, 

Donna

Quite possibly one of the best cruises we were on was on the Sensation last September. We did the 5 day to Nassau, HMC and Grand Turk. The vibe on the ship was great and we would absolutely sail on a fantasy class ship again.

7 hours ago, basketballdad said:

Well,almost everything starting that we couldn't get into our rooms until 130 to what the internet situation was especially on half moon cay.

Was this your first cruise? Because it’s well known that unless you are Platinum, Diamond or have FTTF, you cannot get to your cabin until 1:30. And most people know that cell phones should be kept on Airplane Mode unless you want to incur a high cell bill.

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Was this your first cruise? Because it’s well known that unless you are Platinum, Diamond or have FTTF, you cannot get to your cabin until 1:30. And most people know that cell phones should be kept on Airplane Mode unless you want to incur a high cell bill.

Sometimes we post for ourselves, sometimes to give tips to others.  Ya, this was my first cruise...for this month lol.  You didn't read closely...of course you don't draw data on the ship without a plan...if you stay off cellular at sea you can pull data each day including the sea day, if you wait til about 4 pm.  So ya reading closely matters.