What is the best souvenir you brought back from St Thomas??

mame2boyz

What was your favorite souvenir you brought back with you.

I want to bring back something special but don't want it to be something that oh well I saw that at Walmart last week. Something unique to the area...

:)

I bought a Caribbean Hook bracelet. You can find a wide price range on these. I asked the shopping person onboard where to find them. You may be able to see them if you do a google search. There is some symbolism on the bracelet and I got the laramar (sp?) stone on mine which is a Caribbean stone. I like my bracelet because it can't be found here.

On our first trip to St Thomas at one of the shops on top of the mountain top I spoted a "poster" that was a relief of the islands over the sea (hard to describe) its all blues & purples etc...not a typical map (the islands are only faintly outlined). Anyway it is quite large and I got it for $10. I matted and framed it (which cost me much much more) and its my favorite picture in our bedroom. Actually that picture sparked my "collection" I now get at least one picture/painting or something from each trip or place we go. Most of them have gone into our "caribbean/island" themed bedroom.

One of my other favorite souveniers I also got on that first cruise in Dominica. It is a hand carved purse made out of a gorde. I know it sounds funky, I never used it but it looks great hanging on the wall.

I look for something that catches my eye and shouts "this will remind of this beautiful place" everytime I look at it.

Of course I also love to find unique jewlery items!! I've had loose stones set which is fun, but I also like to find some unique cheap items that are fun to wear. On our trip to Puerto Vallarta last May I got a cheap necklace ($5) that everyone absoultely raves about everytime I wear it. Fun.

Deb

Thanks Deb and cubsr#1,

I'll look forward to expanding our collection. We started it years ago when on holiday in Florida at Disney, when our children were young. Since then we've bought ornaments in Australia, San Francisco, Boston, Vermont, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and even Paraguay. Our kids bring things back from their trips too. Our Christmas tree is full of memories. We also have decorations given to us by various loved ones, several no longer with us. It's always special putting up the tree and remembering where the decorations came from. :)

We have bought gorgeous ball ornaments - the artist is diane artware. You will see her work in several shops. They are stunning - we have one of a cruise ship and one of a mermaid and will get another every time. The website is http://www.dianeartware.com. Don't know her but love her work.

I also buy larimar jewelry every trip. It's relatively inexpensive every day jewelry that never fails to get a compliment when I wear it.

I have to find at least one item at each port for our " wall" We have a rather large wall and the only things allowed on the wall are from our different ports. We have everything from a wooden carved mask (costa rica) to pictures that were spray painted (belize) to an ornamental scroll (nassua) We enjoy showing it to people and explaining where everything came from it helps keep the memories alive. I hope one day to never see the wall behind the wall!!

Probably the best place in town to purchase local gifts is Into the Sea in Royal Dane Mall. Don't know if they have Diane's ornaments, but they have the best selection of unique gifts in the area. Royal Dane Mall is really the quaintest place to shop, in my opinion. Some shop there should have Diane's ornaments if Into the Sea doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't been at St. Thomas for a long time but we used to be able to by a cheap watch that had a disk that revolved as the second hand. I believe they were called satelite watches. The really cool ones had the words "Virgin Islands" on the face. Everytime I looked at my watch...it made me smile!

Has anyone seen these? We are on our way to St. Thomas after Christmas.

Archived