Driving and traffic

linerode

We are planning to just rent a car and drive to Maho and around to the flea market in Marigot and some other stops. However, I'm a little nervous about traffic. We sure don't want to miss the ship. What can we expect for traffic?

11 hours ago, linerode said:

We are planning to just rent a car and drive to Maho and around to the flea market in Marigot and some other stops. However, I'm a little nervous about traffic. We sure don't want to miss the ship. What can we expect for traffic?

If going to the French side take your passport, as the French are getting twitchy with Americans, as US visitors to Martinique will testify.

The drive to Marigot is about 1.5 hours, with a couple of viewings, but the return will depend as to how many ships are in port.  Direct back from Marigot, for safety would allow 1.5 hours to return, then add 30 minutes with the hire company and return to the ship.  Add more time if you wish to shop quayside.

I noticed a few years ago that streets aren't very well marked. They did have some signs indicating the direction of major sites, for example the airport or cruise port, but when I visited again about a year after the hurricane, they weren't there. I'm not sure the status now.

However, with a good map or GPS or sense of direction you should be fine. The main road getting back to the cruise port can be busy in the afternoon so Port Royal's info above sounds right.

Have you been to St Maarten before?  The roads are narrow, two-lane, with twisty hills and corners.  Also, as others have said, the road back to Phillipsburgh can get very jammed up at afternoon rush hour.  However, I would not book an overpriced cruise excursion (which did once, and it was a huge bus that crawled along.  It stopped a couple of times, and it took forever to get everyone off and back on, not to mention the latecomers who held everyone up.)

We have arranged private small small group tours twice on St Maarten, with companies that provided a guide and seating for about a dozen.  These have been fine, and give you a good sense of the island.  You can find these companies listed on trip advisor or via google.  They will get you back on time - their reputation depends on it.  We have also taken a taxi to Orient beach, reasonable price, lovely place.

Have a great cruise!