Advice on taking a 2 year old on QM2

JollyJackTar52

Hi.  

It's now been 5 years since we did our wonderful, amazing Transatlantic Crossing on Queen Mary 2.  It's been so long because we've been trying for, and now have a beautiful little girl who we now feel is ready to experience her first adventure with Cunard.

So.  Our question's are all about how we go on with a 2 year old girl. 

• Is there space to put a cot in a Britannia Balcony, or Britannia Inside Stateroom (I can't remember)
  • Should I be concerned about a balcony? What about the other railings on the ship?  I do seem to remember that the railings on 8 looked "Climbable" as do the railings on the top of the new bit at the front of the superstructure. Not that we'll be leaving her unattended but she's like a whippet and quite the climber already and you can't be too careful.
  •  Should we consider bringing Grandma and having 2 adjoining staterooms if we can?  How difficult are such staterooms to book?
  •  How good are the child / toddler facilities?

Thanks in advance!

We did a back to back transatlantic with our son 2 years ago, he was 18 months old at the time. I will try and answer your questions.

There is plenty of room for a cot in a Britannia Balcony,  I have never been in an inside so no clue on that front. We had been warned the cot mattresses were fairly hard so we took a folding cot mattress with us, it made the cot much more comfortable and our son slept well.

We went for a sheltered balcony as like you I worried about the glass balcony with a small child. The sheltered balconies would be impossible for a child to climb. Although it wasn't really an issue as we never left him unattended on the balcony and the door to the balcony could not be opened by a toddler.

The child facilities seemed very nice and the staff were great. As your daughter is 2 she would be able to make full use of them. Under 2 the only facilities our son could use was the night nursery that let him sleep in the nursery from 6pm to 11.30pm. They provided a pager if there were any issues. This worked great for us as we could go for dinner and drink each evening.

Children can only use the swimming pools if they are fully toilet trained, no swim nappies. 

Can't comment on the Grandmother as we didnt take one. You can book adjoining rooms, no clue how far in advance you would need to book to secure one. It is worth noting you may need to book fairly far in advance to take your daughter anyway as there are limits on the number of children onboard and a limit to the number of rooms that permit 3 people. They will not just add a cot to any room, it has to be a room designated for 3 people.

Happy to try to answer any more questions you have but I would definitely recommend Cunard with a child. We are doing another back to back crossing with our now 3 year old next month.