Shipboard Money that's NOT a "Freebie"

flipoid

The interest you'll get from the bank is piddly for this amount of time. If you want to make any money on the investment, you'll have to take some risk, and if it goes sour on you, then you are stuck.

I wouldn't pay down my ship account before the cruise even starts either, but I don't see anything wrong if somebody feels more comfortable this way.

• 2 months later...

One needs to make sure that the Hold on the CC is lifted after the payment. I find this mistake has happened to me, twice, on Princess Cruises.

I now have a cure for this (use my Small CC in the Personalizer to board - then pay off with my Big CC).

I am not understanding this - must be a CruiseHeimer's Attack.

I am under the impression that anything left over as a Credit on my on-board Folio will be lost.

FLIPOID: Did you ever call Princess back to verify? If you are budgeting, do you come pretty close to what you spend on board? :confused:

Crown Prince, yes I did call Princess to verify when I added more money to our shipboard account. I was told this time that of course if it's our money we will get anything that's left over back as a refund. As this is the first time we've done this (only been on 2 cruises together previously), we'll have to see if this helps in our budgeting. But we think it will, and we've put enough on the account to cover the auto-tips, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and Sabitini's that we plan on doing, an estimated amount for froo-froo (or is that foo-foo?) drinks and other items that aren't covered in the cruise fare, and our pre-reserved shore excursions. We are taking cash/traveler's checks with us for our port visits and to have cash for tips (porters, room service, any extra tip for the room steward). But for us, this seems to be a better method of sticking to a budget. We will see how it works out.

Thank you so much for all your responses! That's why I love this board--everyone is so helpful.

Ron-we do not want to rack up credit card debt; putting money in the shipboard account ahead of time is one of our ways of helping budget what we spend while we're on the cruise.

I'd suggest that instead of sending that money to the cruiseline, put it aside in an interest bearing savings account, use the credit card and then when the bill comes in use those funds to pay it off. If you are as careful with your onboard spending as you would be if you were using your onboard credit to settle your account, you won't run up your credit card debt and can use the credit card company's money until the bill comes in. At today's rates that money won't earn much interest but even a little is better than giving it to Princess well in advance of your cruise.

Are you making a difference between Ship Board Credit that is given to you by a TA or Princess and money you put into your shipboard account. I think of it this way, money I put into my cabin account is not a Ship Board Credit. I may have credit in my account but it is my money. Any SBC that someone gives you is not refundable. I have never had a problem using it up before the cruise is over.

Archived