Snorkeling Areas other than West Bay/West End?

UnaPalomita

Hello 🙂 First time in Roatan. Will be cruising with the NCL Dawn in March. Looking for other less crowded options than the West End/ West Bay Snorkeling at the hotels there. 

I found the Sol y Mar beach club. Has anyone been? How is snorkeling from shore? Also do vendors bother you?

Any other areas you could suggest would be great. TIA!

You can go to Sandy Bay.   It's on the north west side of the island.  The beach is fairly long and usually populated only by people staying at some of the small hotels or resorts. The reef from the west end crests along here and can be farther out than the West Bay.  Look up Anthony's Key Resort as that's probably the main place.  But any beach is open access for any one, just bring your own equipment and be careful as you'll be on your own.

• Like 1

The problem with Sandy Bay is the shallow mucky water for some distance from the shore so one would need a kayak or pier to get farther out. I have done both in Sandy Bay. 

I am not sure if Anthony's key is a good choice.. they may not offer day passes and they have a fleet of dive boats coming and going.. ahh but maybe they would do a snorkle trip via boat for you. 

I would suggest getting in touch with Blue Bahia in Sandy Bay, spending the day with them buying food / drink and using their pier to acess the swimmable water to the reef. 

It is possible  Sol y Mar offers a snorkel boat as well, or maybe kayaks. It is a new place and I have not been there as yet. 

Fantasy Island offers day passes and one could swim the channel to CocoView's front yard. 

Most of the remainder of the island the reef is to far out to access without a boat. 

On another note ~ The sand is sandy bay is mostly hard packed and not at all nice.  West Bay is the premier beach on the island for several reasons,  the white fluffy sand would be one of them :0) 

Edited by Guest 2000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...