Miami port to Ft. Meyer Airport & rental car

sloper12

I'm wondering if anyone would have any idea about how long it might take to get a shuttle from Miami port the the MIA airport?  I have to following scenerio and wondering if we could make a flight.    We would be leaving the cruise at Miami port and we have a rental booked.  The shuttle for the rental leaves from the port then goes to Miami Airport where we would pick up the car.  From there, I'm looking at a flight out of Ft. Meyers (RSW)  According to Google Maps, it's about a 2 hour drive from MIA to RSW.  The flight is at 2:30 p.m.  My concern is how long it might take to get the shuttle from port to MIA then the 2 hour drive from MIA. 

The 2 hour estimate for Miami airport to Fort Myers is very reasonable. Traffic on Alligator Alley / I-75 / Turnpike moves very fast.  I don't what the status of the tolls situation is, so you should consider accepting the toll-by-plate option from the car rental company.  Some roads have converted entirely to cash-free, I don't know if this combination is among them.

If it was up to me, I'd take a cab from the cruise port to the airport car rental tower. I would not be willing to wait until the shuttle was filled, or every passenger showed up.

Miami International Airport has a transportation hub located a mile or so from the airport terminals.  Most of the car rental firms are there, as is Tri-Rail. Also the Metro-Rail train to downtown Miami. The car rental building is just a few minutes from the airport expressway,  much closer than the airport terminal building.

curious why you would drive to RSW for a flight ?

Can you not  fly from MIA or FLL  to your destination ?

In any case just grab a taxi or UBER  to the rental car depot   the shuttles will wait until full  usually before leaving

It's a two hour trip because once you get on 595, it is interstate all the way there and traffic MOVES on I75.  

That said, can you stay an extra day and leave the day after your disembarkation?  You could take your time getting to Fort Myers and maybe spend the day on the beach.  The Gulf Coast has some of the best beaches on the planet.