Pre-cruise time killer @ Miami

jsstiles

We fly into Miami for a cruise out of port Miami.  We are taking a red-eye in so we get there at 5:30 am so we're have about 5 hours to kill before we can board. 

Any ideas of things to do prior to the cruise? Nice place for breakfast?

Take the hotel shuttle to the airport Hilton or Marriott, tip them to watch your bags, and then enjoy breakfast and a couple of mimosas!  When you are ready grab an Uber or Lyft to POM. 

Or book a cheap room for the night of your flight near the MIA airport, let them know you will be checking in late (about 6:15), and then ask for late check out (about 1:00 or so).  You have time for a nap, shower, maybe a dip in the pool, and breakfast before checking out and heading to the port.  La Quinta East is a budget option near MIA popular with cruisers and okay for a few hours.  There is also a hotel inside of the MIA airport, cleverly called the Miami Airport Hotel, where you can grab breakfast or even a room for  a few hours of nap time and a shower - but no pool.

I definitely wouldn't book a hotel room to kill 2+ hours.  I do like the idea of just taking one of the hotel shuttles and just hanging out there for breakfast.

You can head to the port around 9:15 - 9:30 (arrive around 9:45 - 10AM).  So you definitely don't have anywhere near 5 hours to burn.  It's not that bad.  By the time you get your bags and what not, maybe 3 hours.

7 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Take the hotel shuttle to the airport Hilton or Marriott, tip them to watch your bags, and then enjoy breakfast and a couple of mimosas!  When you are ready grab an Uber or Lyft to POM. 

Or book a cheap room for the night of your flight near the MIA airport, let them know you will be checking in late (about 6:15), and then ask for late check out (about 1:00 or so).  You have time for a nap, shower, maybe a dip in the pool, and breakfast before checking out and heading to the port.  La Quinta East is a budget option near MIA popular with cruisers and okay for a few hours.  There is also a hotel inside of the MIA airport, cleverly called the Miami Airport Hotel, where you can grab breakfast or even a room for  a few hours of nap time and a shower - but no pool.

THIS^^^^^  OP is going to be up for hours at that point.  If not a nap, just a quiet place to hang your hat and chill.  I hate sitting in that terminal, we board around 2p, its so less hectic then.  

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

I definitely wouldn't book a hotel room to kill 2+ hours.  I do like the idea of just taking one of the hotel shuttles and just hanging out there for breakfast.

You can head to the port around 9:15 - 9:30 (arrive around 9:45 - 10AM).  So you definitely don't have anywhere near 5 hours to burn.  It's not that bad.  By the time you get your bags and what not, maybe 3 hours.

OP lands at 5:30 and will have bags and be finished at the airport by about 6:15-30. Many arrive at the port about 9:30-10, but you do not need to be at check in until about 2:00-30 ( check your boarding documents).  After a red eye flight a shower and a nap will make the first day of the cruise much more enjoyable!! 😎

OP - your call. Welcome to the boards and have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

OP lands at 5:30 and will have bags and be finished at the airport by about 6:15-30. Many arrive at the port about 9:30-10, but you do not need to be at check in until about 2:00-30 ( check your boarding documents).  After a red eye flight a shower and a nap will make the first day of the cruise much more enjoyable!! 😎

OP - your call. Welcome to the boards and have a great cruise!

I tend to enjoy the first day of my cruise on the cruise ship and not in a hotel.  But that's me!  Each their own.

13 hours ago, JohninDC said:

THIS!!

I am a hot mess after a redeye and a hot shower and couple hour nap will make me a new person.