Best thing to do in San Juan at night time docking?

TRAVELBUGCRUISER

Hey Everyone

We're on the NCL Encore Nov 24-Dec 1. We have a stop in San Juan from something like 6pm until midnight. Whats the best thing to do there during these hours? Last time we were there we did the whole historic thing. We're thinking of a eating and drinking tour.... or maybe just drinking ( lol ). Is the Bacardi tour worth it or too commercialized? Any other recommendations would be great:)

Thank you!

Go to the flamenco show at Triana on Recinto Street in Old San Juan. They have a show every night except Monday. Buy $20+ worth of food/drink per person. 

Go to La Factoria that was featured in Despicito video.

Go to Carly Jazz club across from Triana.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, Ms411 said:

Go to the flamenco show at Triana on Recinto Street in Old San Juan. They have a show every night except Monday. Buy $20+ worth of food/drink per person. 

Go to La Factoria that was featured in Despicito video.

Go to Carly Jazz club across from Triana.

Norwegian Cruise Line has a ship excursion "Fiesta Latina" that is $79 per person.  Does not include dinner, says sangria samples.  Sounds like the same place.  Thinking we could just go there on our own and have dinner for less money and see the same show.  Trying to find out.  NCL's description is "In this folkloric show, the featured guitarist will be Juan Carlos, an entertainer that has traveled the world playing flamenco and singing in his distinct baritone voice.

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/SJU_55/Fiesta-Latina

http://www.trianatapasyflamenco.com/en

• 1 month later...

Back from our 11/24 cruise.  We went to Triana Tapas and Flamenco -- show started 7:30pm, we called before we cruised to make dinner reservations at 7pm.  The show is 6 nights a week so call ahead to confirm.  Juan Carlos, the Spanish guitarist was incredibly talented and the flamenco dancers beautiful.  Food very good and many choices.  NCL Encore was docked 5:30pm-12.  Before dinner, we walked along Paseo de la Princessa to the end by the water where there is a beautiful water fountain.  After dinner and the show, we walked back to the ship dock only 2 to 3 small blocks) and bought a few things $5 San Juan hats, magnet and tree ornament.  There were a few other items for sale on the street right before the ship dock entrance - necklaces, leather belts and wallets and bags.  Before the 7:30pm show, there was another show that seemed to be a cruise ship excursion.  I saw a ship excursion $79 per person and did not include anything but a sample of Sangria.  NOTE: There is NO CHARGE for the show and you can easily walk to the restaurant.  They asked for $20 minimum per person purchase of food and drinks.  Our total bill was about $120 for 3 people including drinks, several seafood tapas, and tip.  Walked away stuffed.....!   http://www.trianatapasyflamenco.com/en

28 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

Based on the cruise excursion description, it sounds like that show is different though similar. There may be more musicians.

It's the same.  The photo on NCL's web site for the shore excursion called "Fiesta Latina" shows the same musician and names him in the description -- Juan Carlos.  I can't imagine how NCL justifies charging $79 per person for a show that is free for anyone dining there and is a two to three block walk away.  The excursion details do not mention getting anything but a sample of sangria, no ride (not needed), no walking tour on the way to the restaurant, nothing.  Makes me want to sail with a different cruise line.  I expect ship excursions to be higher priced than going on our own but this is charging $79 for nothing.  https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/SJU_55/Fiesta-Latina ?destination=Caribbean+Cruises&port=SJU&sort=searchWeight&sortOrder=asc&perPage=12&startingRecord=12

Edited by SeaWatcher65

I have never heard Juan Carlos do plena/bomba which is why I think the ship tour is a little different. The show may also have bomba dancers in addition to the flamenco. The cruise lines are good at creating excursions that may be similar to a DIY, but they always add something.

It is expensive. Since the ship is there at night they need to offer night time excursions. One of the forts used to have night time lectures at least once a month. The clubs that used to offer salsa lessons have all closed. 

I'm glad to see an attempt to provide local night life. Going to San Juan again in March so hope to see the show again.

Triana's with the Flamenco Show looks great for an evening stop in San Juan, i reached out to them via email and they don't usually have a show on Monday's (which is the day we are docked).   Does any one know of a similar restaurant with a show not to far from the port ?  We are a family of 4 - 2 kids aged 12 & 14, not too many options around the port at night with kids .

I've been using AirBnBs Experiences lately when planning my trips. Lots of options in San Juan for both day and night. I reserved a Mermaid Experience for my March 2020 trip but it's during the day. The salsa dance classes may be fun for the family. Short taxi ride from the port. The drum lessons sound fun, too. Considering that, too.

The Condado lagoon offers night kayaking, I think. Short taxi ride from the port, but not sure if the activity is offered every night.

Carli's, the jazz club, has live music but might not be interesting to many young people. 

• Like 1