What ports are not to miss with kids?

Hammergirl

We have 2 kids who will be 16 and 11 when we sail. We will not be doing any helicopter or small plane excursions due to major anxiety with that sort of thing. We are more interested in seeing sea lions, whales and of course sled dogs. We would also do 4 wheeling or that type of thing. That being said, what port are not to be missed with kids and these types of activities. Trying to plan our  first cruise to Alaska and want to make sure we pick the right ports!

Thanks!

We have cruised to Alaska twice, in 2015 with children aged 5 & 7 yrs, and then in 2019 by which time the children were 9 & 11 yrs. Trip reports are here:

and here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221528

Try to fit in a small boat trip from Seward or Whittier (depending which port your cruise starts or ends at) - 26 Glaciers or Glacier Quest in Prince William Sound out of Whittier and Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward - this will deliver on the sea lions, whales, other sea mammals and get you close to glaciers and fabulous scenery. You should see sea mammals from the cruise ship too, but at more of a distance - but you do have to be looking - I loved walking round the promenade deck in the evening and seeing wildlife in the water, I would have missed it if I was in the theatre or a bar.

hope that helps

Lou