Ordering drinks not specifically listed on bar menu - ever denied?

doconner

On 10/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Named-Tawny said:

I've never had a problem. A few years ago, on the Pearl, the Dark and Stormy that they had on their menu was above the $15 threshold, so I kept asking for a Moscow Mule with dark rum instead, and I never had a problem.

Hmmm, last week on Escape a Dark and Stormy was $11 on the menu. Since we were sailing to Bermuda, they had to highlight the National Drink!

Hard to believe it would be valued over $15, since it is just Gosling's rum and ginger beer.

11 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Hmmm, last week on Escape a Dark and Stormy was $11 on the menu. Since we were sailing to Bermuda, they had to highlight the National Drink!

Hard to believe it would be valued over $15, since it is just Gosling's rum and ginger beer.

Yup, it was a bit ridiculous - they've since fixed the pricing on that.

Nice that there was always a workaround though.

Very rarely and only when we try to order something they don't know how to make.  We love French 75s and try to make it our first drink onboard but after getting blank stares at the Atrium bars upon boarding every cruise we have given up and just order champagne! LOL 

I've had bartenders make me drinks not on the menu (sometimes I've had to tell them how to make it,) and I've had them dr. a premade drink that I didn't necessarily like (adding tonic and less sugar to a caipirinha, etc.. It still didn't taste like Rio)  and they've all done it with a smile.   Of course I usually tip them or give them candy.   They only time I've seen them NOT make a drink request was if they didn't have those ingredients at that specific bar.   Sometimes when they aren't swamped I'll tell them to make their favorite and I"ve gotten some delicious drinks from that. 

I believe Chocolate and expresso martinis are both more than the $15 limit so you will have to pay the difference.   If you're looking for the chocolate one in specific, try the Rum Cake Martini.   It's quite chocolately and VERY delish!!

On 10/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, sid_9169 said:

The Grass Clippings is only on the menu at one bar on the away class ships, and I know they have the ingredients to make it... The other incidents occurred at different bars when I tried to order with "upgraded" liquors... 

Oh man I had GrassClippings on the escape.  I think at the bar near cigar place. it was one of the best drinks I had on the ship I want it again on my upcoming JOY cruise.  what is in it?

Edited by bhampshire
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bhampshire said:

Oh man I had Grass Clippings on the escape.  I think at the bar near cigar place. it was one of the best drinks I had on the ship I want it again on my upcoming JOY cruise.  what is in it?

OMG I love the Grass Clippings  Martini also. However, it can be difficult to find as it has fresh Cilantro as an ingredient. If you can find a great bartender and make fast friends (cash IS king) and they know you will be repeatedly visiting their bar in the evening, it can happen for you. Some NCL bartenders are happy to gather and set aside fresh ingredients like cucumber, basil, mint and cilantro for you but understand this is outside of their duties and you should tip nicely for having this access. I have been able to get them with the nightly bar staff at the Champagne Bar on the Dawn. Outside of that I have been able to order lovely martinis with fresh herbs and speciality enhanced simple syrups on multiple ship's Haven bars. Any where I cruise, I tip well, get to know multiple bartenders, and tell them what I'm in the mood to drink. I think as long as they aren't highly busy, they enjoy making a special drink for you, in my experience. 

My favorite NCL drink of all time was the Cherry Limeade.  They no longer carry all the correct ingredients, but if you find a bartender who has been there for a few years, they'll make you a good facsimile.  (Chocolate Cowboy, especially.)

I've never been denied, although people have been surprised when I ordered it.  

Also of note:  I'd never do this when the bar is busy and they're working their butts off.