Shadowmeboy helps close down Alaska on the Bliss!

shadowmeboy

I sure hope somebody turns off the lights and winterizes the plumbing when you leave because it could be a real mess when Alaska thaws out and re-opens next spring. 😱

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, S_cruiser said:

Shadowmeboy

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your reviews on your various trips.    I have not yet completed them all but will do so.  I also wanted to say I appreciate your pictures especially those around Wenatchee.   I grew up in Wenatchee/East Wenatchee and currently live in FLorida so when I see pictures from the Northwest, I am thrilled.  The photo of entering Wenatchee certainly brought memories of the hours that as a teenager, we would drive up and down the Avenue to see who was out and what they were doing.  The pictures of Turtle Rock and Columbia River bring back the memories of when Rocky Reach Dam was built and Turtle Rock became the island it is today and Stevens Pass and the Cascade Tunnel (been through it several times)

As a child, my family boated and waterskied around Turtle rock as well as picked huckleberries near both the old Cascade Tunnel as well as the new one.

Anyway, I just wanted to say your pictures bring bac fond memories and I appreciate you showing them.  I left Wenatchee in 1966 but have managed to get back every few years.  Each time there has been so many changes that the Wenatchee, I knew really does not exist any more.

Thanks again for sharing .

Sharon

s_cruiser

Ocala, FL

I appreciated your post here. Sometimes I question whether I should put the journey to the cruise, but getting there is sometimes half the adventure. I love how the pictures bring back memories of the Wenatchee you grew up with, its still changing and we have been over here 12 years. Washington State is so unique with so many differing types of climate zones; Rainforests on the peninsula, Evergreen forests of the Cascades, Ponderosa Pine forest of the high desert areas, desert, farm land such as wheat fields and orchard land, to the deciduous treed areas near Seattle. Yet many people only think of Washington as Seattle, and I hope to share a bit more of our diverse state. 

Thank you again for sharing! I appreciate the memories you shared.

Matthew

• Like 4

3 hours ago, justhappy said:

Oh thank you for another great review! Going on the Bliss next June, I’ll be taking notes.

Please ask any questions that you have.

2 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

I concur. We’re sailing on the Bliss in February, so I’ll be following closely!  Thanks for your rather extensive pictorial reviews!

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you for following along! 

18 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I sure hope somebody turns off the lights and winterizes the plumbing when you leave because it could be a real mess when Alaska thaws out and re-opens next spring. 😱

Your post made me chuckle! Awesome!! 

Some of you know in the middle of my review of the Dawn, Susan and I took a trip to the Southwest in late July/ early August. Well we did vlog that trip, so if any of you are interested in seeing the adventures we did, the vlogs are on my YouTube channel http://youtube.com/c/shadowmeboy

Here are the direct links to the first three:

Feel free to check them out if you want!

I was staying at the Best Western Seattle Airport hotel for the night before the cruise. Susan and I love it there and their breakfast is one of the best or the best included breakfasts you can find at a Best Western hotel and we stay at a lot of them.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-in-seattle/best-western-seattle-airport-hotel/propertyCode.48077.html

I caught the hotel shuttle to the light rail station at Angle Lake (3 minutes tops from the hotel). The shuttle runs from the hotel to the airport which is 10 to 15 minutes depending on lights and traffic. 

I caught the light rail and took it through Downtown out to the University of Washington station (cost: 3.75) You can purchase day passes that allow you to use street buses and the light rail all day long. 

IMG_2100-L.jpg

IMG_2102-L.jpg

These were taken in the tunnel downtown.

When I got to UW station, I popped up to street level and was greeted with this view!

IMG_1966-L.jpg

Husky Stadium! I am a big UW fan, and think Husky Stadium is one of the best college stadiums in the nation. Plus you can boat to the game if you wanted to. It was a Saturday, but the Huskies were away today, so it was really quiet.

I came to UW station to meet up with my cousin and her husband and new baby who I hadn't met yet. We were going to go out to lunch. 

IMG_0288-L.jpg

I explored the outside of husky stadium while I waited for them to pick me up.

IMG_0289-L.jpg

IMG_0290-L.jpg

Dubs - the Husky Mascot who is actually an Alaskan Malamute.

IMG_0291-L.jpg

UW light rail station (across the street from Husky Stadium)

They pick me up, we go to lunch, and then they dropped me back off at the light rail. We had a fabulous time!

I go from UW station to Downtown Seattle (Westlake Center) and head to Pike Place Market.

IMG_1967-L.jpg

I play tourist in the city I grew up in and went to college in! 

IMG_1968-L.jpg

IMG_1969-L.jpg

IMG_0292-L.jpg

Pike Place Fish Market (aka the guys who throw the fish)

IMG_0293-L.jpg

If you purchase a fish they will throw it, catch it, and fillet it for you! Showing a fish for the camera.

IMG_0294-L.jpg

IMG_0295-L.jpg

IMG_0296-L.jpg

Getting ready to throw the fish

IMG_0297-L.jpg

Calling out the throw

IMG_0298-L.jpg

IMG_0299-L.jpg

the fish is mid air by the green sign

IMG_0300-L.jpg

IMG_1970-L.jpg

The New Orleans Saints were in town to play the Seattle Seahawks the next day, so a lot of Saints fans milling around the market.

IMG_1972-L.jpg

It was fun to watch people's reactions!

IMG_0301-L.jpg

I went and explored other parts of the Market.

IMG_0302-L.jpg

IMG_0303-L.jpg

IMG_0304-L.jpg

IMG_0305-L.jpg

IMG_0306-L.jpg

IMG_0307-L.jpg

a different fish stall

I headed out to the plaza over looking the waterfront.

IMG_1975-L.jpg

IMG_1976-L.jpg

panorama

IMG_0308-L.jpg

Lets compare pictures...

Below is 9/21/2019

IMG_0309-L.jpg

Below is 6/9/2018

IMG_1540-L.jpg

Spot the difference?

The viaduct is gone.

IMG_0310-L.jpg

Norwegian Joy in port, the Holland ship is already on its way from Pier 91.

IMG_0311-L.jpg

IMG_0312-L.jpg

You can actually see them working on getting rid of the last standing section of the viaduct.

• Like 1

IMG_0321-L.jpg

The Washington State Ferry Sealth leaves Seattle for Bremerton, which is about an hour ferry ride.

IMG_0322-L.jpg

IMG_0323-L.jpg

Norwegian Joy getting ready to toss lines

IMG_0324-L.jpg

IMG_0325-L.jpg

Train coming out of the tunnel below Seattle

IMG_0326-L.jpg

coal train heading to Vancouver BC

IMG_0327-L.jpg

IMG_0328-L.jpg

IMG_0329-L.jpg

The Washington State Ferry Wenatchee

IMG_0330-L.jpg

Almost clear!

IMG_0331-L.jpg

IMG_0332-L.jpg

IMG_0333-L.jpg

IMG_0335-L.jpg

Clear for a brief moment!

• Like 1

IMG_0336-L.jpg

Designated power unit (DPU) on the end of the loaded coal train

IMG_0337-L.jpg

IMG_0338-L.jpg

Slightly better!

IMG_0339-L.jpg

IMG_0340-L.jpg

WSF Wenatchee leaving Seattle for Bainbridge Island (25-30 minute ferry ride)

IMG_0341-L.jpg

IMG_0342-L.jpg

IMG_0343-L.jpg

All of my favorite things; Planes, Trains, Ferries, Ships, Cars, and of course Cruise Ships!

IMG_0344-L.jpg

IMG_0345-L.jpg

Container ship pulled his anchor and started turning.

IMG_0346-L.jpg

IMG_0348-L.jpg

Norwegian Joy's lines being pulled in

IMG_0349-L.jpg

IMG_0350-L.jpg

The red ship is being tugged out of the berthing area

IMG_0351-L.jpg

This ship is going to go where the red ship was.

IMG_0352-L.jpg

Mt. Rainier was so beautiful!

IMG_0353-L.jpg

Amtrak 8 - the eastbound Empire Builder leaving Seattle and starting its journey to Chicago.

IMG_0354-L.jpg

IMG_0355-L.jpg

Norwegian Joy leaving Seattle

IMG_0356-L.jpg

IMG_0357-L.jpg

Another BNSF freight exiting the tunnel

IMG_0358-L.jpg

IMG_0359-L.jpg

Goodbye Norwegian Joy!

• Like 1

I walk back to Westlake Center to catch Link light rail back to the hotel.

IMG_0369-L.jpg

ping pong tables in Westlake Park.

IMG_0370-L.jpg

IMG_1982-L.jpg

Downtown Seattle from the light rail

IMG_0371-L.jpg

Street tacos for dinner! Used an Uber eats promo, so Dinner was delivered to me!

I surfed the internet and then decided it was time to turn in. It had been a long day.

• Like 2

IMG_0381-L.jpg

It was a little wet today! Heading toward Seattle from the SeaTac area.

IMG_0383-L.jpg

Crossing the Duwamish Waterway

IMG_0384-L.jpg

Heading to E Marginal Way

IMG_0385-L.jpg

IMG_0386-L.jpg

IMG_0387-L.jpg

Centurylink Field - Seahawks and Sounders play here.

IMG_0390-L.jpg

IMG_0388-L.jpg

T-Mobile Park - Mariners stadium

IMG_0391-L.jpg

IMG_0392-L.jpg

Look there is the Bliss!

IMG_0393-L.jpg

Alaska Way Boulevard

IMG_0394-L.jpg

IMG_0395-L.jpg

Colman Dock - Washington State Ferry pier

IMG_0396-L.jpg

It’s been 4 years since I’ve been in Seattle and I’ve been to Pike Place Market but I’m curious where you’re standing when you’re above the train tracks and have those great views. Is there a viewing platform off the back of the Market area? 
I’d like to see the trains when we are there next May.

5 hours ago, justhappy said:

It’s been 4 years since I’ve been in Seattle and I’ve been to Pike Place Market but I’m curious where you’re standing when you’re above the train tracks and have those great views. Is there a viewing platform off the back of the Market area? 
I’d like to see the trains when we are there next May.

Pike%20Place%20Map%20edited-L.jpg

See above! Yes, it a new area opened in 2017. I love it there! I spent nearly 2 hours out there just enjoying the waterfront and everything going on. 

The map I got from the Pike Place Market and edited it to show key locations.

If you want to see trains, you can watch them rumble past from street level practically across from the cruise terminal too. You will have to wait to see those pictures later in the review (spoiler alert).

42 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

Would you please inquire of the price of a shot of Bacardi at any bar?  Trying to figure out whether to get a bottle for the room.  Thanks!

this is not a live review nor am I currently on any NCL ship. Your question might be better directed to one of the live reviews going on from the Encore as pricing is consistent fleet wide generally.

8 hours ago, shadowmeboy said:

Pike%20Place%20Map%20edited-L.jpg

See above! Yes, it a new area opened in 2017. I love it there! I spent nearly 2 hours out there just enjoying the waterfront and everything going on. 

The map I got from the Pike Place Market and edited it to show key locations.

If you want to see trains, you can watch them rumble past from street level practically across from the cruise terminal too. You will have to wait to see those pictures later in the review (spoiler alert).

Thanks so much! We’ll be staying at the Marriott across from the cruise port so I assume the trains run behind the Marriott? 
I, like you love watching ships, trains, ferries and all the big construction equipment around a port. We took a harbor tour last time we were there and the tour boat got really close to a shipping facility and we got to see some cargo ships up close. 

14 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Thanks so much! We’ll be staying at the Marriott across from the cruise port so I assume the trains run behind the Marriott? 
I, like you love watching ships, trains, ferries and all the big construction equipment around a port. We took a harbor tour last time we were there and the tour boat got really close to a shipping facility and we got to see some cargo ships up close. 

yes, they do. Post 35 third picture from the bottom you can see the Marriott. Walk down Alaska way and you get them at street level!

• Like 1