Barcelona guide

Mr. Manhattan

Hi Mr M, I cant directly help you but if we stop at any large city in the world, for about £6 or $10 I always buy a DK top 10 guide, it is basically as stated, a top 10 of virtually anything you are likely to want to see or need. It is not a substitute for a professional tour but we find it is a great starting point for an overview.

It may be worth buying one on line.

We have used a company called Pepito Tours many times when we have visited Barcelona.  José Soler is the owner and he has tailored tours for us both within the city and to nearby places like Tarragon and Sitges, Girona, Bésalu, and Montserrat among others.  

• Like 1

We've used Barcelona Day tours a number of times while visiting Barcelona. They offer private and small group tours.  We've done Montserrat and Barcelona city tours with them- they picked us up at the port on disembarkation morning, took us on our tour, held our bags while we toured and dropped us off at our Barcelona hotel.  If you are not extending your stay in Barcelona, they will drop you at the airport at the end of the tour.  

Our travel agent booked us through Made for Spain in 2017 for our extended stay in Barcelona after a Western Med cruise.  We were extremely happy with the service.  The company was quick to make last minute changes (we added a detour to Figueres the afternoon before our tour to Girona which required extensive changes to transportation) and provided fantastic guides who not only knew the city inside and out but also seemed to know all of the security personnel at the various attractions so that wait times were almost non-existent.

This isn't exactly what you asked about but I thought I would throw it out there. 🙂 We did a food tour with a company called "Culinary Backstreets" and it is by far the best food tour I have ever done and I have done a lot. They limit the size to 8 or less and well worth the price. 

This suggestion may also not be quite what you are asking about, but "Wine Ventures Barcelona" may be worth considering.  We spent a day in the Penedes Valley with David in 2018 and enjoyed it so much that we have booked another day with him in May, 2020.  The Penedes Valley is only about 45 minutes from Barcelona.     https://www.wineventuresbarcelona.com/

• 3 months later...

We have a wonderful guide in Barcelona that we have used on two different trips.  We have referred her to several people who have all loved her.  She is now more of a friend than just our tour guide.  Her email is: SusanaSole.g@gmail.com and her international phone number is +34626065636.  You can also find her on Facebook.

Tell her Jodi sent you!

• Like 1

Judging by your profile photo, you are a fit couple. :-)

Barcelona has one of Europe's best HoHo bus system, with frequent buses, severals interlinked routes and good commentary.

Unless you think that a private guide is really necessary, the HoHo shows you really all the major sights.

If you are planning to see the new cathedral, La Sagrada Famiglia, DO PRE_BOOK ON LINE!

The day-ticket lines can be murderous! You still will wait for a bit with the pre-booked tickets, but minutes, rather than hours.

Another must-see (at least if you are a foodie) is the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, often simply referred to as La Boqueria, is a large public market, just of the main drag of Las Ramblas. Stunning food stuff. Not cheap, but WOW.Do this in the morning, before noon and stay for a counter meal at one of the seafood stalls. (Not much of a chance to grab a set at the counter after 11.30 or so)

As everywhere in Barcelona, be very careful of pickpockets. They are MASTERS!

Leave original documents in the hotel and carry photocopies of everything you may need.

• Like 1

Another recommendation for Barcelona Day Tours. DW was sick on the morning of the Monserrat tour and we couldn’t go. They sent me an email offering a free tour for 1 person the next time in Barcelona.  They didn’t need to do that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...