San Juan, Tortola and St Martin

loudoncruiser

Hiring private scooter  accessible vans is very expensive.   Can anyone recommend a tour they've taken that they've enjoyed that is reasonably priced?   Is there anything you did on your own in any of these ports?  My husband uses a mobility scooter for distance but a walker for a very small distance if this makes a difference.   Thanks in advance for your help. 

We've been to all these ports and even though we took tours years ago, we now do it on our own.   My husband has a scooter that we rent to use on cruises.   (are you renting a scooter?)    You should be able to get off the ship at all these ports with a scooter.   The ship crew is very helpful in assisting people with wheelchairs, scooters, etc. up and down the ramps on and off the ship.  

You don't say which cruise line you'll be on, but make sure you contact the Access Dept of your cruise line to advise that he will be using a scooter.     This department will also be able to advise of any accessible shore excursions offered by the ship.   Assuming you are renting a scooter (and will not have one until get get on the ship) you might take advantage of the option to have one of the ship's crew push him in one of the ship's wheelchairs from check-in to your room or the buffet, etc.   Then you can pick up his scooter (if you're renting one).   The Access Dept can help you get signed up for wheelchair pushing assistance, too.

Do you have an accessible stateroom?   You might not be able to get a scooter into a standard room and it cannot be left in the hall. 

We haven't taken many tours since having the scooter but here are some websites by people who have done just that:

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2019/01/28/cruise-port-of-call-wheelchair-accessibility-review-st-thomas-us-virgin-islands/

https://www.curbfreewithcorylee.com/2014/07/31/wheelchair-accessible-san-juan/

There's a new shopping area just off the ship at Tortola:

https://www.porthole.com/something-for-everyone-at-tortola-pier-park/

• Thanks 1

Actually, you can pretty much see what ever you want on your own. The roads or sidewalks are not any better than the cobble stones in Europe, but they are doable. I've been to all the ports multiple times. Using Google maps, you can determine the distances you will be traveling. I currently use 12V15AH batteries, thus better mileage.

Roadtown – Suggest you refer to Google maps and copy a map area a bit further north than what I show on the attached one. The Botanical Garden is worth a visit and it is a tad bit north of what I show. Head there first and then you can see the rest of the things when you come back into the town area. The ship indicates where you will dock.

St. Martin, I normally just go into town. Many years ago, before becoming disabled, I did see a few sights out of town. Now I just take the sidewalk into town and collect the free give-aways (jewelry) for my granddaughters. The sidewalk from the ship comes in on the lower right hand side of my map. Unfortunately, one of the hurricanes wiped out their zoo. The animals they were able to rescue, they donated to another island.

San Juan you have a couple choices of Forts worth visiting. However, Castillo de San Cristóbal is the easiest one to get to from the ship. Actually, it is much closer than Castillo San Felipe del Morro. I have heard that there is a space for a wheelchair on the free trolley that goes to all the sights, but have never seen the trolley, thus I do know. San Juan sidewalks do have curb cutouts with a few in strange places. The ship on my map is the area you will dock at. There is a beautiful walk way directly west of the dock and it is doable. It will take you to the city gate. It does go further north, but we never went that direction. I am hoping to get to Casa Blanca on my next trip. They have goofy hours. It is suppose to be partially wheelchair accessible and I would really like to see the insides.

If you have a small scooter, many taxis are willing to take you. They normally charged the same rate, however we would give a little extra tip for lifting the scooters in and out of the trunk (boot).

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

San Juan Puerto Rico 2021.jpg

st maarten 2019 map.jpg

Tortola.jpg

• Thanks 1