Monarch of the Seas in the News

Any reviews from this cruise ?

On Friday, 27 January, at least 10 suites on deck 10 were flooded from a broken pool pipe -- carpet had to be replaced in rooms and in hallway; passengers given $150 each onboard credit. According to a passenger: "Huge mess! ... Loud air movers blowing all weekend. Some very pissed off passengers."

On Monday, 30 January, Captain Joern Rene Klausen (38 years old) was found dead in his cabin at 4:15 AM before arriving in Los Angeles. Police boarded the vessel in LA and disembarkation was delayed until removal of the body. The death appeared to be from natural cases; authorities in LA will conduct an autopsy.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

I thought "natural causes" was usually referring to an older person who dies from old age. Even a heart attack or cancer is not usually referred to as "natural causes". Perhaps they are just saying he did not die from suspicious causes but still...38 is very young to die from anything but an accidental death...like a car accident or something....please keep us posted if anyone hears the actual cause of death...thanks!

Any reviews from this cruise ?

On Friday, 27 January, at least 10 suites on deck 10 were flooded from a broken pool pipe -- carpet had to be replaced in rooms and in hallway; passengers given $150 each onboard credit. According to a passenger: "Huge mess! ... Loud air movers blowing all weekend. Some very pissed off passengers."

On Monday, 30 January, Captain Joern Rene Klausen (38 years old) was found dead in his cabin at 4:15 AM before arriving in Los Angeles. Police boarded the vessel in LA and disembarkation was delayed until removal of the body. The death appeared to be from natural cases; authorities in LA will conduct an autopsy.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

1. So sad about the captain-so just what are "natural" causes of death for a healthy person under 40??

2. I am booked in a 10th floor suite on the March 17 sailing-wonder if it was one of them that flooded??

Was just off the Monarch, sad to hear. We had Captain Olaussen, so never had a chance to meet Captain Klausen.

In addition, there was a pipe on the top deck that burst on our cruise (Jan-12th) and they came up and shut it off. Wonder if it was the same one?

I'm booked in a suite on deck 10 on Feb 17th. I hope they get the moisture out by then.

Capt Klausen....so sad. :( He was the captain on my last two sailings on the Monarch and I chatted with him for a bit on my cruise in Oct. When I told him I would see him again on Feb 17th sailing, he said he was leaving the Monarch when it went into dry dock. He said he was going to take a couple months off. So I was quite surprised to hear he was the captain that passed away as I thought he had left the Monarch.

Archived