Walking the Malecon in Mahahual

tm3750

4 minutes ago, tm3750 said:

Anybody get a cab to the far end of the Malecon and take walk back?  if so what can you expect to see along the way?

Restaurants, shops, bars ? 

We have taken a taxi to Luna De Plata, beyond the malecon and walked to Blue Kay, about 1.25 miles. We then caught another taxi back, about another mile.

It is interesting to see the different tempo of the beach bars along the malecon. It is a string of one bar/restaurant literally one after another, with small shops/ vendors. There are occasional restaurants between Blue Kay and port, more if you venture into Nuevo Mahahual. There are other businesses on the side streets and the vehicle road one block in from coast. You can do a virtual walk of most of it on Google.

Crew used to have a photo review and map in his signature but not sure if it is still available.

Yes you can walk back. Luna de Plata is a good starting point.  But as you get to the middle of the malecon you may be pestered by guys hawking loungers at various beach clubs. You can walk all the way to the lighthouse and then up the beach toward port. It may be more developed now but there is/was a path from the beach to the street running along the south side of the port.

Sorry, my photos and maps were in Photo bucket and got dropped. 😟

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes you can walk back. Luna de Plata is a good starting point.  But as you get to the middle of the malecon you may be pestered by guys hawking loungers at various beach clubs. You can walk all the way to the lighthouse and then up the beach toward port. It may be more developed now but there is/was a path from the beach to the street running along the south side of the port.

Sorry, my photos and maps were in Photo bucket and got dropped. 😟

sorry your photos disappeared, Crew - I thought I read you had a problem with Photobucket. Luckily i printed off the list of names before my walk!

I know you used to be able to walk from the port to the lighthouse along the beach “in the old days” before the port became a walled fortress. I haven't tried it since but I thought people had reported that it was difficult to find a way back in now? I think you have to allow plenty of time if you try that route.

59 minutes ago, astridwilson said:

Curious about "malecon you may be pestered by guys hawking loungers at various beach clubs".  Are there places where you can find a chair to just sit on the beach? How much should you expect to pay for a chair in the shade? 

Tropicante is a popular beach bar - you can reserve in advance at no charge then PAYG. No charge for lounger but you are expected to purchase a drink or some food.

Take a look through some if the Costa Maya posts for several other recommendations although many bars are trying to push AI now whether they take walk-ups or not.

Crew is warning of the guys along the malecon that will try and direct you to their bar - some are more scrupulous than others. Best to have done some research and have the name of some bars in mind before you go AND make sure are actually AT the bar you think you are at by checking menus/ name tags etc.

27 minutes ago, astridwilson said:

Is the water nice at Tropicante?  Can you snorkel there?

Snorkeling along the malecón is not great. Some people have taken a boat out to the reef.  Some people have had more success from the shore at the northern end at Blue Kay. Blue kay has a variety of charges that you may be able to negotiate for loungers.

Whether or not the water is nice depends on time of year and the currents. Unfortunately Costa Maya has been plagued by the sargassum problem affecting the Caribbean and when it is bad it can be very bad but it will affect ALL the beach clubs in the area since they all face the same way. Some do a better job than others of clearing it - Tropicante does work hard. In addition seagrass can also be a problem. I have not tried snorkeling at Tropicante but I have swam in the sea without a problem on days when it is clear.

• 1 month later...