City tours from San Pedro/LAX

Seaside maid

Help please.  We disembark in LA on 15th Dec 2020 from NCL Bliss.  We are having a one night stop over before our flight back to the UK on the 16th Dec..  we are looking at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel at LAX so any observations on this would be helpful.  My main query is. Does anyone know if NCL do any disembarkation tours around LA before dropping off at the airport, I m assuming we can catch a shuttle bus back to the hotel from LAX.  If these tours are possible does anyone know what they consist of, itinerary, costs etc.  Any info would be most helpful.

1 hour ago, Seaside maid said:

Help please.  We disembark in LA on 15th Dec 2020 from NCL Bliss.  We are having a one night stop over before our flight back to the UK on the 16th Dec..  we are looking at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel at LAX so any observations on this would be helpful.  My main query is. Does anyone know if NCL do any disembarkation tours around LA before dropping off at the airport, I m assuming we can catch a shuttle bus back to the hotel from LAX.  If these tours are possible does anyone know what they consist of, itinerary, costs etc.  Any info would be most helpful.

First, I have no specific knowledge of NCL's offerings, but virtually every cruise line offers an LA tour with an airport drop-off on disembarkation day...BUT, I wouldn't take it...They're usually shorter than most tours and have a fairly early dropoff at LAX since they're expecting most on it to have flights out of LAX that day...

The alternative I would suggest is doing a tour with these guys:

https://sunseekertours.com/

They will pick up at the ship (maybe the only LA tour company that does that since they are based in Long Beach) and give you a more complete 8 hour tour in a smaller group/vehicle...and drop you off at LAX--or, likely even at your LAX area hotel...You can read a description of their tour on their site.  BTW, if it can be avoided, you don't want to be dropped off at LAX to get a shuttle even to a local hotel--LAX can be a zoo...I would try to beg whatever tour driver I had to drop me off at my hotel if possible.

As to staying at the Courtyard at LAX--or ANY hotel in the immediate area of LAX--I am not a great proponent of that--UNLESS you have a flight out very early in the morning that next day.  The reason is that there is virtually nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel...You are, virtually one block from the end of the runways...and it is an industrial area with very little other than other airport hotels, car rental and long-term parking lots, warehouse/distribution facilities and offices for airport-related businesses.  If you've taken a tour and are dropped off here before dinner, you really have nothing other to do than eat at your hotel restaurant (a very limited one at this hotel) or grab a taxi or city bus or Uber to some other area for a restaurant, then back to the hotel.

If your flight home is very early on 16th, then you put up with the location so as not to worry about traffic that morning.  Otherwise, you may consider staying elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Seaside maid said:

NCL usually offers 3 different 5 1/2 hour tours that end at LAX. How good they are depends on what you want to see. At $160 plus tip for two, I think you can do as well going directly to the hotel, dropping your bags and then making your own way into LA. Again it matters what sights you want to see. Any one day experience will hit just the surface of what LA has to offer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

First, I have no specific knowledge of NCL's offerings, but virtually every cruise line offers an LA tour with an airport drop-off on disembarkation day...BUT, I wouldn't take it...They're usually shorter than most tours and have a fairly early dropoff at LAX since they're expecting most on it to have flights out of LAX that day...

The alternative I would suggest is doing a tour with these guys:

https://sunseekertours.com/

They will pick up at the ship (maybe the only LA tour company that does that since they are based in Long Beach) and give you a more complete 8 hour tour in a smaller group/vehicle...and drop you off at LAX--or, likely even at your LAX area hotel...You can read a description of their tour on their site.  BTW, if it can be avoided, you don't want to be dropped off at LAX to get a shuttle even to a local hotel--LAX can be a zoo...I would try to beg whatever tour driver I had to drop me off at my hotel if possible.

As to staying at the Courtyard at LAX--or ANY hotel in the immediate area of LAX--I am not a great proponent of that--UNLESS you have a flight out very early in the morning that next day.  The reason is that there is virtually nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel...You are, virtually one block from the end of the runways...and it is an industrial area with very little other than other airport hotels, car rental and long-term parking lots, warehouse/distribution facilities and offices for airport-related businesses.  If you've taken a tour and are dropped off here before dinner, you really have nothing other to do than eat at your hotel restaurant (a very limited one at this hotel) or grab a taxi or city bus or Uber to some other area for a restaurant, then back to the hotel.

If your flight home is very early on 16th, then you put up with the location so as not to worry about traffic that morning.  Otherwise, you may consider staying elsewhere.

Thank you for all that information. I have looked at the company you suggested and it appears to be exactly what I am looking for.  I need to wait until all my flight times are confirmed then I will get in touch with them.

On the subject of the hotel, is it just that particular hotel that you would advise against if I have a evening flight on the 16th or all the airport hotels.  Any help is greatly appreciated as I've never been to Los Angeles before and will probably not get an opportunity again so I need to make the most of my time whilst there

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

NCL usually offers 3 different 5 1/2 hour tours that end at LAX. How good they are depends on what you want to see. At $160 plus tip for two, I think you can do as well going directly to the hotel, dropping your bags and then making your own way into LA. Again it matters what sights you want to see. Any one day experience will hit just the surface of what LA has to offer.

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately due to our family circumstances it isn't possible to just take bags to hotel and take ourselves off into LA.  We need to have something a little more structured.

45 minutes ago, Seaside maid said:

On the subject of the hotel, is it just that particular hotel that you would advise against if I have a evening flight on the 16th or all the airport hotels.  Any help is greatly appreciated as I've never been to Los Angeles before and will probably not get an opportunity again so I need to make the most of my time whilst there

It's not that hotel, it's the entire area just to the east of LAX near Century Blvd.  There just isn't a lot there and you will feel a bit stranded.  You'll likely need to take Ubers to find somewhere else to hang out and eat dinner...unless you are totally drained and don't want to leave the hotel...But, if your flight isn't until the evening of the 16th, then there's no real reason to stay there.

To "make the most" of your time in LA having never been here before (and absent knowledge of any specific special interests), here's what I would suggest:

Find a hotel for that night in Santa Monica--something near the Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier (Loews, Marriott Le Merigot, Shutters-at-the-Beach, Fairmont Miramar, Huntley, Wyndham, Georgian, Hampton Inn, Marriott Courtyard...even the more budget minded and old fashioned CarMar).  It may be a bit pricier...but the location cannot be beaten and it will make your time in LA the most productive.

Contact Sunseeker Tours and see if they can arrange a full day tour for disembarkation day with a pick-up at the ship and a drop-off at your Santa Monica hotel with your luggage.  (The alternative would be to get an Uber from the ship to your hotel, then use the HOHO bus to tour Hollywood, etc. on that first day).  The assumption is that, as a newbie to LA, you'll want to take in the typical tourist favorites:  Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, etc.

When you get to the hotel, check in, then go for a walk along Palisades Park--if it's still prior to sunset--for the views of the sun setting over the Pacific...then, choose an area restaurant for dinner--there are a number of good ones on the Promenade, a block or so off or on Ocean Avenue and near the Pier (Ask your hotel desk for some recommendations depending on what you want to eat--there is virtually everything available--in terms of type of cuisine and of price range)...Then stroll along the promenade in the evening...You'll find street performers, lively shops, etc.  The next morning, have the hotel hold your luggage after check-out until you are ready to leave for LAX.  Head down to the Pier...or, if the weather is good, maybe a quick ride (Uber or public bus) down to the Venice Boardwalk.  When you get closer to your flight time (or 2-3 hours before your flight time--it is LAX, fifth busiest airport in the world), be back at your hotel to retrieve your luggage and catch an Uber to LAX.

That would probably give you the best use of your limited time to get the California experience...

BTW, an added note:  Santa Monica has long been a favorite of British Expatiates...there are several British pubs, Fish and Chips houses and more...Back in the 70s, there used to even be an English Music Hall ("Mayfair Music Hall")--but, unfortunately, it's long closed now...What I've heard from British friends is that it reminds them a bit of English seaside resorts like Brighton--but with much better weather!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/09/the-brit-list-the-most-british-towns-in-america/6

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/santa-monica-travel-guide

Edited by Bruin Steve

49 minutes ago, Seaside maid said:

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately due to our family circumstances it isn't possible to just take bags to hotel and take ourselves off into LA.  We need to have something a little more structured.

Then pick one of the three tours offered. It will drop you at LAX and then you can shuttle to the Courtyard.

43 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's not that hotel, it's the entire area just to the east of LAX near Century Blvd.  There just isn't a lot there and you will feel a bit stranded.  You'll likely need to take Ubers to find somewhere else to hang out and eat dinner...unless you are totally drained and don't want to leave the hotel...But, if your flight isn't until the evening of the 16th, then there's no real reason to stay there.

To "make the most" of your time in LA having never been here before (and absent knowledge of any specific special interests), here's what I would suggest:

Find a hotel for that night in Santa Monica--something near the Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier (Loews, Marriott Le Merigot, Shutters-at-the-Beach, Fairmont Miramar, Huntley, Wyndham, Georgian, Hampton Inn, Marriott Courtyard...even the more budget minded and old fashioned CarMar).  It may be a bit pricier...but the location cannot be beaten and it will make your time in LA the most productive.

Contact Sunseeker Tours and see if they can arrange a full day tour for disembarkation day with a pick-up at the ship and a drop-off at your Santa Monica hotel with your luggage.  (The alternative would be to get an Uber from the ship to your hotel, then use the HOHO bus to tour Hollywood, etc. on that first day).  The assumption is that, as a newbie to LA, you'll want to take in the typical tourist favorites:  Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, etc.

When you get to the hotel, check in, then go for a walk along Palisades Park--if it's still prior to sunset--for the views of the sun setting over the Pacific...then, choose an area restaurant for dinner--there are a number of good ones on the Promenade, a block or so off or on Ocean Avenue and near the Pier (Ask your hotel desk for some recommendations depending on what you want to eat--there is virtually everything available--in terms of type of cuisine and of price range)...Then stroll along the promenade in the evening...You'll find street performers, lively shops, etc.  The next morning, have the hotel hold your luggage after check-out until you are ready to leave for LAX.  Head down to the Pier...or, if the weather is good, maybe a quick ride (Uber or public bus) down to the Venice Boardwalk.  When you get closer to your flight time (or 2-3 hours before your flight time--it is LAX, fifth busiest airport in the world), be back at your hotel to retrieve your luggage and catch an Uber to LAX.

That would probably give you the best use of your limited time to get the California experience...

BTW, an added note:  Santa Monica has long been a favorite of British Expatiates...there are several British pubs, Fish and Chips houses and more...Back in the 70s, there used to even be an English Music Hall ("Mayfair Music Hall")--but, unfortunately, it's long closed now...What I've heard from British friends is that it reminds them a bit of English seaside resorts like Brighton--but with much better weather!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/09/the-brit-list-the-most-british-towns-in-america/6

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/santa-monica-travel-guide

Thanks that's very informative,. I will look further into your suggestions.  Only part I won't take up is the "fish and chip shops and English seaside".  I actually live yards from the sea in the NE of England.  Whenever I go overseas I want "local"  experiences.  Can't understand the Brits that go out of England and only look for the "English pubs"  with English menus. We travel with a 40 year old  who is Autistic so not always easy to just go off and do stuff hence the idea of a tour. I do indeed want to see all the typical tourist things on offer but also to eat "local" where possible in the multi cultural world that we all live in now.

Okay, so avoid Ye Olde King's Head...

But there are lots of everything else...Seafood, Mexican, Italian, various Asian cuisines, burger joints and more...Probably the real most local cuisine is "Mexican"--which is really "Cal Mex"...it's not the same cuisine as found deep in Mexico...but it is what has become known to be "Mexican Food" in most of the US--since we Californians are really good at spreading our fast food franchises and chain restaurants (Taco Bell, El Torito, etc.)  Cal Mex has more in the way of Flour tortillas rather than corn (Wheat is not really grown in most of Mexico--only in the extreme northwest--Baja California and Sonora--so, since the original Mexican immigrants to California came from those very nearby areas, the cuisine is different...Also, a lot of things like fish tacos and shrimp enchiladas.  Don't eat this at a Taco Bell, though (eccchhhh...) Find a more one of a kind place...El Cholo (Wilshire and 11th is a branch of a very old -in LA terms-Mexican Restaurant--but a little bit of a hike from the Promenade area...Blue Plate Taco and Red O Taste of Mexico are trendy, a little pricey but in prime Ocean Avenue locations across from Palisades Park near the Pier...Cabo Canina is pretty inexpensive and casual and right on the Promenade--great for drinks and tacos...more of snacks or lunch than dinner...Mercado on 4th is nice and a bit upscale...

And, of course, lots of other kinds of food in the area as well...

On 11/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, Seaside maid said:

Thank you for all that information. I have looked at the company you suggested and it appears to be exactly what I am looking for.  I need to wait until all my flight times are confirmed then I will get in touch with them.

I just used Sunseekers on Monday of this week. It was WONDERFUL!  John, our guide and driver, was a wealth ok knowledge. We were picked up at the port around 9:15 and dropped off at the airport around 5:00. Others in the bus were returning  to various hotels. It was a GREAT choice. 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:18 AM, Seaside maid said:

Thanks for that.  I'm now going to book with them as soon as I get my flight confirmation.  Did they take you to all the obvious tourist sites and also did the give you time to have lunch.  TIA

Lunch on the Sunseeker tours is in Hollywood. Mel's Diner (American Graffiti fame) is the scheduled stop, but you are free to choose some place different.