Will he need jacket on HAL informal night?

longduo

We are sailing on the HAL Veendam on a 7 night cruise. My husband plans to wear a nice dark suit on formal nights. Will he need a jacket for the dining room on informal night? Would a nice silk shirt work without a jacket?

Also what about for the Pinnacle? Will he want a jacket there even if we go on a casual night? I sense that you'd want to be a bit dressed up there.

Longduo

Yes.

HAL informal evenings are jacket with no tie.

The Pinnacle Grill is informal even on casual nights (read: men wear jackets, many wear suits, ties, tuxes....etc).

We chose to dress formally for the Grill even though we had dinner there on a casual night...but that is just us.

Which itinerary are you on?

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it.

Best wishes,

~e

Some, but definitely not all wear jackets on informal night despite what the suggested dress code is. DH often wears a sports jacket when we just go out to dinner so not really an issue. Defintely a jacket for the Pinnacle Grill.

Thanks for the help mrsred and CateW. That is just what we were thinking tho' friends traveling with us thought a jacket was not needed. We like to dress up so the more often the better.

We are on the 7 night Veendam out of Tampa on Feb. 25 sailing to Key West, Guatemala, Belize and Costa Maya, Mexico. We normally do longer cruises and have never sailed on HAL before. We are going with 20 friends. We all sailed around the world together in the spring of 1991 on Semester at Sea. This will be our 15 year reunion so we thought a cruise was just the thing.

Longduo

Thanks for the help mrsred and CateW. That is just what we were thinking tho' friends traveling with us thought a jacket was not needed. We like to dress up so the more often the better.

We are on the 7 night Veendam out of Tampa on Feb. 25 sailing to Key West, Guatemala, Belize and Costa Maya, Mexico. We normally do longer cruises and have never sailed on HAL before. We are going with 20 friends. We all sailed around the world together in the spring of 1991 on Semester at Sea. This will be our 15 year reunion so we thought a cruise was just the thing.

Longduo

I'm filled with envy...we would love to do a world cruise if time would only permit!

Sounds like fun! I am certainly an "over-dresser" but we did enjoy ourselves on HAL.

We did the Western Caribbean on the Zuiderdam this past July (nearly the same itinerary, but we had the Bahamas and Grand Cayman instead of Belize and Guatamala).

Have you ever been to Costa Maya? I won't bore you with my view of that port...BUT if you are interested in Maya ruins there are some partially excavated ones about an hour away at Chacchoben. We took a tour with a descendant of the Mayans and it was fab!

It isn't even close to the size and impressiveness of say Tulum or Tikal...but so worth it to be able to speak to those who are culturally attached to the area and the ancient Mayans.

Have fun!

~e

Archived