End of cruise summary

Tangoqueen

9 hours ago, pully8 said:

just a few queries about the rough seas, why would people not travel with their own medication to alleviate sea sickness, or did they run out and sort medical assistance on board?

we expect to take our own but imagine emergencies could occur.

what were the passengers given and what was the fee? 

Many people suffered sea sickness who stated that they have done many cruises without being ill but on this occasion suffered.  We were ok but always take our own sickness tablets with us anyway but many didn’t.  There was a note in the daily magazine to say tablets were available at the pursers desk and this was the same medication as the medical centre provided.  When we went to the desk for something different there were loads of boxes of tablets and the guy joked he could put any price on them as they were in such demand.  I don’t know the price for sure but think someone said $20 per box.  They had sold out by the end of the first sea day and I knew of people who couldn’t get any.  They had restocked for the return journey but limited tablet to 3 per person I think.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:41 PM, Cosmic Rays said:

What was the problem - we are due to sail in a fortnight, also to the Canaries.........

If it’s any comfort, we were on this cruise and overall had a great time. Missing Lisbon wasn’t ideal but can understand the reasoning.

Would we do the same cruise at the same time of year again? Definitely.

Regarding roughness of the crossing, the crew we spoke to said the preceding cruise (Western Med) returning across the Bay of Biscay was rougher than our experience.

Thanks for the reply about the medication.

It must have unpleasant for those unprepared.

We are yet to travel in that area but were glad to have prescribed and OTC meds on a cruise in the south china seas, very rough ride. Not a Cunard ship.  

The waves displayed on Ventusky weather page looked impressive and nasty.

Thankfully it sounds everyone returned safely albeit with some not entirely satisfied. 

On 11/26/2019 at 12:09 PM, majortom10 said:

That is one of the "old" rumours that always goes around whenever there is rocky seas on a cruise. Nobody never knows the actual person but as heard from somebody else.

This is indeed a FACT as said lady was my neighbour on board and very frighted indeed. She told me she had done this and we laughed about it once the sea was calmer.  I will add she is a seasoned cruiser  and stated she had never known it that bad. She is also a lovely lady to boot. She's posted a pic of it on FB  

On another note sea sick pills were $6.40 precisely x 2 packets with 5 pills in each pack. A lot of people were sick that had never been before and my husbands tablets were not doing a lot. We had probably 4/5 days in total where we were in very ruff water. Two of the very first days in the Solent and just before and in the Bay of Biscay. Also reception were not giving out proper information re sea sick pills as they told my hubby they had none left on two separate occasions and having had a conversation with the Dr's wife she said they were lots left and to go down to the medical centre to get some of which we did. TWICE!

Having chatted daily with the 4 singers Trubador (sp)  We did the music quiz which they also did. No more entertainers were boarding in Lisbon but Cello to Cello were supposed to be getting off [concert in Warsaw]  The problems with entertainment were one if not two of the cast members were ill, I believe one had a bad back so was unable to perform the show Top Hat which was supposed to very a very big production. Also one singer was unwell.

Our cabin was right at the front and trust me there was pitching. We actually rolled right over in bed and did a few slides up and down it too, very entertaining but also caused many sleepless nights due to the noise of waves crashing down.  

Edited by cook68

That certainly sounds unpleasant. Presumably the meds for purchase were ones that do not require a prescription? Nevertheless alcohol is not recommended to take with any of them. The doctor could offer an injection to treat the condition too.

We drink very little,  so that will not be an issue for us but it might be for others, fortunately rough seas of the type described usually do not last for long.

Difficult if you cannot get to land and abandon the cruise, some may have considered that option.  

13 hours ago, pully8 said:

That certainly sounds unpleasant. Presumably the meds for purchase were ones that do not require a prescription? Nevertheless alcohol is not recommended to take with any of them. The doctor could offer an injection to treat the condition too.

We drink very little,  so that will not be an issue for us but it might be for others, fortunately rough seas of the type described usually do not last for long.

Difficult if you cannot get to land and abandon the cruise, some may have considered that option.  

My husband was not told to avoid alcohol, did drink [not to excess] and was was fine. Saying that there were non prescription so they may be different. 
Re abandoning cruise one lady was all for getting off at Lisbon and flying home. You can imagine how bad she felt once we were told we were not stopping. It's funny as I sail as I am terrified of flying yet was not worried about ruff seas. 

• Like 2