Renting a jeep?

LSKC

How easy is it to navigate Cozumel? I'm assume driving is on the right hand side of the road, otherwise I'd be nervous.

Another concern is what happens if you are in port and rent a vehicle and there is a fender bender? how does that get taken care of/handled with a ship leaving port etc?

Anyone done the jeep rental thing and if so, recommended route or spots not to miss. I definitely want beach/snorkel time somewhere and some sight seeing.

Thanks.

We've rented Jeeps twice in the past, but it was probably 12-15 years ago.  So I will just answer the basics and let someone who has done this more recently answer the rest.  Driving IS on the right side of the road.  We took the collision insurance offered, never had an issues so I cannot speak as to how accident reports and claims are handled.  You'll be warned not to go off-road in the Jeep, so we didn't.  As for route, we headed south down the west side of the island.  There is a lighthouse at the southern point, I think it's in a national park with a fee (?).  Then we crossed over to the east side and headed north.  Mostly untouched and natural along that coast, or at least it was.  Might be built up now.  About 2/3 of the way up, there is a cross-island road that heads back over to the west side.  On that road is the San Gervasio ruins, worth seeing.  Google a map of the island, it's small and fairly simple to navigate.  Just do it in a loop.  Most ships are in Cozumel for a good amount of time, but watch the clock!  We had great weather both times so it was very enjoyable.  My boys loved it (8 & 10 at the time).

• Like 1

Reno's directions are still good.  Left turns all the way. Do get a map through San Miguel.  It's basically  the Transveral Road to the waterfront but street name is Avenida Benito Juarez and when you get to the non numbered cross Avenida, Joaquin Cordela, by the supermarket and can't  go straight due to one way ,you turn right for a block to Calle2 Norte, then left and left again  on  Melgar along the waterfront. The lighthouse and Eco Park are worth the stop. Go out to the Bar Hop site for suggestions of places to stop along the east side.  Along the Transveral road is the Tequila Factory and  the San Gervasio Maya ruins.

Do get all insurance coverage.  It adds to costs but saves you if an accident  occurs. 

Edited by crewsweeper

• 4 weeks later...

Hey now! We usually rent a jeep and drive down the island to the reggae bar. Have a drink, take pics at the blowhole. Then drive to coconuts, and have some lunch. Then we make our way back through town, and try to get gas at one of the stations that isnt right across from the port. We will stop at any random place that looks cool. The last time we did this was 2017, and we will be back in April. The new stop now is the one of the pharmacies to pick up some cheap items witout a script. I think we also get the insurance because it cant hurt, right? My understanding regarding fender benders is, try to avoid them. Be safe and have fun!

Edited by drgonzogoo

• 2 weeks later...