Virgin Gorda Port *not Tortola

dst

Does anyone have any advice or feedback - we are sailing on the Empress in February and our port is Virgin Gorda (not Tortola). We have been to Tortola several times but have never tendered from Virgin Gorda.  Has anyone done that recently? What is the port area like, is it close to The Baths (we have been there) any shopping ..….

Any tips?

Thanks

Not sure if you will be at the Marina near Spanishtown or in North Sound near the Bitter End Yacht Club. The BYEC is currently closed and undergoing renovations from Irma.

If at the marina you can walk to town and take a short taxi to the Top of the Baths.

What are your hours and date?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, blue_water said:

Not sure if you will be at the Marina near Spanishtown or in North Sound near the Bitter End Yacht Club. The BYEC is currently closed and undergoing renovations from Irma.

If at the marina you can walk to town and take a short taxi to the Top of the Baths.

What are your hours and date?

Thanks for responding 

we will be there early February on the Empress. I know we will have to tender but getting info on where is difficult. 
even called Royal and they told me all about Tortola (lol) 

Depending on your hours and date, wherever you tender VG is a small island and taxi drivers can take you anywhere, or you can rent a car. Drivers will drop you and return to take you elsewhere (if you are in port long enough to work around the crowds). Be sure to check the cruise calendar for Road Town, Soper’s Hole, and Jost Van Dyke when planning your day! I’d look at Savannah Bay, Spring Bay, and maybe stop at Hog Heaven near Top of the Baths or Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown for lunch.

Are there perhaps past guest reviews from others who tendered at VG? Or maybe someone on your roll call is on a second visit there?

My guess is that you will tender in to Spanish Town Marina.  Then it is an easy taxi ride to the Baths.  All the ferries dock there too, so you will find lots of taxi drivers.  It was $6 for the taxi to The Baths and Devils Bay.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, marysb said:

My guess is that you will tender in to Spanish Town Marina.  Then it is an easy taxi ride to the Baths.  All the ferries dock there too, so you will find lots of taxi drivers.  It was $6 for the taxi to The Baths and Devils Bay.

RC wants $50/pp to transfer to the baths. Do you think taxis will be available or will RC being utilizing all the taxis in the area?

21 hours ago, Gums_McGill said:

I don't... I don't know where I would find that...

Sorry I can’t help with that. But there will be drivers waiting at either location for those not booking through the ship. When we go to VG for the day we either work with a driver who will drop us and return to take us elsewhere, or we rent a car. You have a nice long day so renting a car would be worthwhile. But if you prefer to have a driver the fares are reasonable, plus the driver can suggest places to go, and when not to go to the Baths.

If you tender in to the marina/ferry dock you can have your last stop in Spanishtown for a bite or to shop, and walk back to the dock.

if tendering in to the North Sound you will be at the Bitter End Yacht Club but that is closed for renovations. It’s a longer taxi or drive to the Valley area from the North Sound. The taxi rates in this link were published in 2010 but are still current or at least close 

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-gorda-taxi-fares-rates.php#.XeqtDS9OlvI

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Sorry I can’t help with that. But there will be drivers waiting at either location for those not booking through the ship. When we go to VG for the day we either work with a driver who will drop us and return to take us elsewhere, or we rent a car. You have a nice long day so renting a car would be worthwhile. But if you prefer to have a driver the fares are reasonable, plus the driver can suggest places to go, and when not to go to the Baths.

If you tender in to the marina/ferry dock you can have your last stop in Spanishtown for a bite or to shop, and walk back to the dock.

if tendering in to the North Sound you will be at the Bitter End Yacht Club but that is closed for renovations. It’s a longer taxi or drive to the Valley area from the North Sound. The taxi rates in this link were published in 2010 but are still current or at least close 

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-gorda-taxi-fares-rates.php#.XeqtDS9OlvI

From the North Sound, how do you get to the Baths? Water taxi?

I don’t know of that being an option but I would pose that question on the VG forum on TripAdvisor. Experts there are much more familiar with the North Sound than I. I know Leverick Bay is a 25 - 30 min drive from the Top of the Baths. With the BYEC closed you may anchor elsewhere. But I bet the DE’s on the VG TA forum can help and may know where you will tender from...

All - sorry I have not been on, I posted the question and then got busy with our daughters wedding on the Harmony and for some reason not getting notifications on the thread.

Still not sure where we will be tendering from - I have been to VG several times and we will go back to the Baths just hoping that we can figure out where to grab a taxi 🙂

Thanks all for your advice!

Gums - when are you sailing?