Anyone been to Dawn Beach recently?

OHTOBECRUISIN

If no one else answers this one- one of the guys I work with is going to St. Maarten on Saturday for the week. I am going to ask him to check out Dawn Beach because we were wanting to go there, also.

He said in the past he and his wife have enjoyed Dawn beach. They go to St. Maarten almost every year for about a week. There is another very secluded beach he recommends but I didn't write it down becuase I want to be able get drinks and rent a chair.

I will post when he gets back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey- I was just going to post tonight.

My boss just gave me some maps, books and things from St. Maarten. :D He said they did not get to Dawn Beach as the road was torn up so they couldn't get to it very easily, but he thinks by the time we leave it should be OK. They have gone to Dawn in the past and really liked it.

I got a booklet and nice map of the island from him and he suggested two other beaches. Their favorite is Copecoy Beach by the Simpson Bay Bridge. He said he overheard a taxi driver say it was 16.00 to Simpson Bay so that gives you an idea of the taxi price. (It is about a 15 minute drive from the dock.) He said Cupecoy does have chairs to let and also umbrellas. He said the nice thing about this is it is well protected, so if it is windy it is still a nice beach to rest on. There are many "hidden" coves to the beach as well, but he warned about the total nudity that me might find on all French beaches. (I am aware of this, but take note.:o )They do go to Guana Bay Beach when they are there, but there is nothing there for refreshments, chairs etc. so you would have to bring your own stuff to Guana Bay.

He said if you didn't want to leave the dock area the entire area is one big beach and they have thickly padded chairs to rent as well as umbrellas and many places to get drinks.

Hope this helps you. I think we may try taking one of the buses or a taxi to Marigot and then stop off at Copecay Beach and take a taxi back to the dock.

Hope you have a terrific cruise!:D

I was just there last week on the Serenade. There is active construction going on right next to the restaurant. It was only mildly distracting. Further away, there was some heavy construction with a couple of machines hammering the rocks. This too was relatively minor noise. We still had a great day there. A couple of rum drinks makes things much better.

FYI: Have read numeorus places that Cupecoy beach is also known as a gay/lesbian beach. Just thought you might want to know.

I wonder if my boss knew that. Probably not, he is pretty traditional so if he saw anything really odd he would have said! After doing more research last night I did read that and also about lack of clothing.

I still don't know what we will do. Thanks for the Dawn beach info and we may still try to get there! I think we will just get of the ship and go from there with no really plans for the day!

just returned from a cruise that included st. martin. tried dawn beach but the roads are under construction going into the area where the westin is being built. i don't know what the experience would be like if you continued further into the area, but the complex is huge and the roads are all torn up with large trucks going in and out. this turned us off, so we turned around and continued up to orient area where we found a pretty secluded beach, but as we weren't actually looking for this beach, i never found out its name.

Love2vacation-

I see that you will be on the Explorer on 3/3.

You will be traveling right before us, so if you do get to Dawn Beach, pls post on this thread to let me know how it is.

It sounds do-able, but I still haven't made up my mind on this.

Thank you!

Love2vacation-

I see that you will be on the Explorer on 3/3.

You will be traveling right before us, so if you do get to Dawn Beach, pls post on this thread to let me know how it is.

It sounds do-able, but I still haven't made up my mind on this.

Thank you!

What ship are you going on, and when will you be in St. Maarten?

Twelve more days and we will be on our Serenade of the Seas cruise. I am getting so anxious.:p

I will post if we decide to go to Dawn Beach. We just are waiting till we arrive to plan the day, as we are trying to be spontaneous!

Hi, Judi-

I read your post incorrectly. I see that you are going to be there on the Serenade (not the Explorer...that was in '03...my goof).

Anyway, we will be on the Mariner, leaving two weeks after you.

We have been to St. Marten before, once on Orient Beach and then the America's Cup Regatta and the other time we did the Golden Eagle and then shopped.

Wherever you end up, have a great time and post when you return!

Toni

After our America's Cup excursion, we didn't want to go too far, and wanted a nice beach. The people at the America's Cup suggest that we go to Dawn Beach. It was perfect! I hope that the road is fixed by then! (I hope it is fixed in 35 days!) If it isn't, I am sure that they will give you good guidance as to where to go.

It is Alison...Atlasali. Have fun on your cruise.

We ended up going on Celebrity Zenith with our daughter last Christmas. We got a fabulous deal. And we loved celebrating Christmas at sea. This next Christmas we will be on the Caribbean Princess. I hope to return to Dawn Beach. I think it was one of our most beautiful beach days.

It is Alison...Atlasali. Have fun on your cruise.

We ended up going on Celebrity Zenith with our daughter last Christmas. We got a fabulous deal. And we loved celebrating Christmas at sea. This next Christmas we will be on the Caribbean Princess. I hope to return to Dawn Beach. I think it was one of our most beautiful beach days.

Alison! Long time, no talk! How did you like Celebrity? We have been on the Century and Horizon and love Celebrity. Our daughter sailed the Caribbean Princess. She is also hooked!

We are so looking forward to this Southern cruise. I love seeing new places!

Take care!

Michelle

What will be your ports?

We loved the Zenith. It was a 4-night cruise, so the small ship was perfect. Our room was up high, just walked up one outdoor set of stairs to the breakfast buffet and the pool. We were surprised with an upgrade to Concierge class...we liked it!

Our pictures can be seen on http://home.comcast.net/~wb8waa/

Christmas on a cruise ship was quite charming. So we are going to do it again. It has been a long time since we went on the "Eastern" route. Dawn Beach was a favorite of ours, I am looking forward to returning.

Alison, I loved the Horizon, so I can see why you loved the Zenith! Those small ships are wonderful. Your daughter is gorgeous!

We are flying to San Juan and then go to St. Thom, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. We haven't been to those last 3 islands before.

Only 5 more weeks of school till break. We all need it NOW, but have to wait!

Michelle

Archived