Princess v. HAL

rkhtex

Help! We're contemplaiting a New England/Canada cruise in the fall. Holland America and Princess have a similar itinerary - 10 night - NEw York to Quebec - similar pricing. Can anyone offer me some reasons why I should do one over the other.

Hey there, my husband and I have cruised on HAL once and thought it was top notch. Not sure your age....but Holland caters to an older crowd. 50+

I was only 31 when we cruzed HAL however I still loved it. Very classy cruzing. We are cruzing Sat. on Princess for the first time. So, I can't say anything about them yet.

We have cruzed 7 times....Carnival, RCCL, HAL and NCL. I would have to say the HAL is a class above all these.....in all ways....food, service, cleanliness....etc.

We went on a 7-night Princess cruise to New England and Canada and loved it. I think these cruises attract an older crowd no matter which cruiseline you choose. The things we loved about Princess especially on this cruise were the heated and covered pool and hot tubs. Plus Princess serves afternoon tea every day in the dining room.

Our most recent cruise was on a HAL ship. It was very nice as well. If having to choose between two cruises, it would come down to price for the type of cabin we want and itinerary (both which ports and how long in each port)--knowing that it could change between the time we book and when we sail. Either one will be great.

We've been on 3 HAL cruises, but they don't do summer Caribbean anymore, so we will try our first Princess this August. Princess looks more similar to HAL than not--beautiful ships, good food, good service. Princess's relative strengths seem to be more activities and entertainment and dining options, and we're looking forward to seeing what life is like on a megaship. HAL's relative strengths seem to be that it doesn't nickel-and-dime you quite as much--ice cream, lemonade, and fresh orange juice at breakfast are all complementary--and extraordinary staff service--the staff make a herculean effort to learn and remember your name and preferences, even if they're serving you just once at a bar. My son loved that, every evening at dinner, a Sprite was waiting at his place. HAL has a quieter atmosphere, so if you're party people it isn't really for you, but if you love to curl up on a deck chair with a good book, it's terrific.

We did the Golden Princess Oct 2003, 7 day round trip Ca/NE New York to New York.

This past August we did the Maasdam Boston to Montreal.

We are experienced cruisers however this was our first experience with HAL. I will not cruise with them again until I am in my 90's. The people in their 70's were complaining about the older people. One group we ran into on a tour had four people in their 90's in their party. I knew HAL catered to an older crowd but I was not expecting that. God Bless them for still getting out but just not my cup of tea.

They do have bathtubs in standard rooms.

I did enjoy the extended distance to Quebec and Montreal.

We are cruising to Alaska and are back with Princess. I do not plan on straying again.

Hi, We also sailed with HAL,but in 2004. It was a very nice cruise, great service,good food and we were also upgraded from 3 inside rooms to 3 oceanviews,all next to each other:D..we now would never go back to inside,we even booked a balcony this year, I suppose we will never want an oceanview now;). We did find a lot of old people(lots of wheel chairs too) on that cruise, I have nothing against senoirs, as a matter of fact, we had my wife's 80 yr old father with us on that cruise,but we ran across many senoirs that acted as if we were on 'their' cruise ship. One night , while looking at the photos in the photo shop, one rude grumpy old lady ran right over my foot with her wheel chair...and me being a real dope,apologized for being 'in her way'. That same old lady was whizzing around in her electric chair all week, not ever watching out for who was in her way.

Last year, my wife and I , cruised with Princess without the kids:D. It was a wonderful cruise, great service and also good food. We thoroughly were dirty stay outs every nigh;)t... the entertainment was great! This year I talked my relatives and some friends into a Princess cruise, we will be a group of 20..I'm sure this will be a cruise that we always will remember.:)

We have our first Princess cruise coming up this fall and have been on one HAL cruise. Can only compare HAl to 3 carnival cruises and Hal winds hands down in food, comfort and quality of staff. We are really looking forward to our Princess cruise and don't think they will let us down.

Jim

HAL has free shuttles in port if needed, free ice cream & better food & seving arrangements in the buffet. Furnishings are also slightly better IMHO. Having said that our last & next cruises are with Princess as the price & itinery were right

Help! We're contemplaiting a New England/Canada cruise in the fall. Holland America and Princess have a similar itinerary - 10 night - NEw York to Quebec - similar pricing. Can anyone offer me some reasons why I should do one over the other.

I would definately go with Princess (depending on the ship)We have sailed on Princess 15 times and with Holland 2 times.

Sorry, but we found the crowd just to old on Holland, and we are 63 & 66!!

The cabin service is 2nd to none, but thats just not enough.

We found the entertainment to be horrible...and the food bland. But you can't please everone.

We did Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 2000.

You will REALLY enjoy the east coast cruise no matter what line you chose!

Quebec it fantistic...thy lunch at Chauteau Fountinac (sp)

Le Château Frontenac as well as all Fairmont hotels in North America, and all 120 hotels in 24 countries, have been sold to an Arab prince for 3.9 B. Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal simply made an offer that nobody can refuse.

Having sailed on both lines, I found them equal in most respects. The one advantage Princess has is that it offers Personal Choice dining in addition to Traditional Dining. Having enjoyed freestyle dining on NCL, I now consider Princess the only viable alternative.

Archived