Just off NCL Sun. Mini review

RobinKY

14 hours ago, lazydaz said:

You mentioned teens, I'm taking my two teens (ages 15, 18) to Alaska on the Sun next summer.  Is there enough activity to keep them involved.I've been on the Sun before and loved it.

I wouldn't say a lot to do for teens but others may feel differently.  Me and girlfriend each have 15 years olds (boy and girl) and they hung out and roamed the ship together.  They met another group of teens and hung out at night.  We let them stay out until the ship's 1 AM curfew.  There is a teen club I believe but our kids didn't use it.  They said you have to pay for it.

Our 17 and 18 year old daughters are a bit more quiet and like their alone time.  They hung out by pool.  They both enjoyed some battle of the sexes type game in the lounge in the evening. They both enjoyed the food, buffet and ice cream A LOT.

If your teens go through a lot of clothes like mine, plan ahead.  I made wrong assumption about laundry and they ran out of clean clothes.  I wasn't going to pay a couple hundred bucks for laundry service.

14 hours ago, smithop said:

Are you talking about the one on the port side, aft?  We just got plates of food in the buffet and took a table in the sports bar then ordered drinks.  The garden buffet was near the forward door and the rear door was next to the great outdoors buffet.

They did have some nice hot wings, but as you say, a limited menu.

Yes that is the "sports bar".  It seemed most people used the "sports bar" for extra seating for the garden buffet.  I went there once to watch college football around 3 PM and there was no food or drink service.  I did walk thru it on Sunday and was packed with people watching NFL but I believe their food was from the buffet.

2 hours ago, RobinKY said:

I wouldn't say a lot to do for teens but others may feel differently.  Me and girlfriend each have 15 years olds (boy and girl) and they hung out and roamed the ship together.  They met another group of teens and hung out at night.  We let them stay out until the ship's 1 AM curfew.  There is a teen club I believe but our kids didn't use it.  They said you have to pay for it.

Our 17 and 18 year old daughters are a bit more quiet and like their alone time.  They hung out by pool.  They both enjoyed some battle of the sexes type game in the lounge in the evening. They both enjoyed the food, buffet and ice cream A LOT.

If your teens go through a lot of clothes like mine, plan ahead.  I made wrong assumption about laundry and they ran out of clean clothes.  I wasn't going to pay a couple hundred bucks for laundry service.

2 hours ago, lazydaz said:

Thanks for your reply, especially the laundry situation.  Because we are going to Alaska I am hoping it will be warm enough for the teens to hang out by the pool.

Use the mid-week laundry special.  $20 for all you can fit in the bag.  I had several long sleeve t shirts and at least 3 pairs of jeans and still had room in the bag.

Just to clarify a few points:

The kids/teen clubs are free.  You can tip the counselors at the end of the cruise if you like, but I've never heard of a charge to use the programs.

One main dining room is always open on embarkation day (check the Freestyle Daily, as the crew will herd you to the buffet - get it at Guest Services if your cabin is not ready when you board), usually noon - 1.30/2.00pm.

NCL does not have a self service laundry on any of their ships currently.

For me, the buffet is much faster than the main dining rooms, especially if I'm solo, I don't want to waste 60-90 minutes having dinner unless the menu looks great.  Now last week on the Getaway I was with folks, so we ate in the main or specialty restaurants nightly.

NCL doesn't have the major broadcast channels - ABC, NBC, etc., even ESPN,  so college football games are rarely shown.  Best not to cruise during a big game if you must watch.

Edited by Mike_DeA
  • Like 1

This is not Sun-specific, but since some folks were asking about any tips/tricks:

If you're a chocolate person, most desserts don't live up to the presentation, but there is one exceptional one on NCL that does for chocolate lovers.  It used to be on the menu nightly, but has been only showing up periodically (just twice last week on the Getaway and once on the Sun in Sept. - I always ask to see the dessert menu before deciding whether to eat at the buffet or a main dining room). 

It's the Chocolate Lava Cake, highly recommended.  But I will say the one time I did order it last week, it was overcooked.......first time for that.........grrrrr.

Edited by Mike_DeA

52 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Use the mid-week laundry special.  $20 for all you can fit in the bag.  I had several long sleeve t shirts and at least 3 pairs of jeans and still had room in the bag.

Edited by lazydaz

That would probably be a good idea.  I always take a small detergent and some clothespins with me just in case.  We're on a 12 day cruise so I'm sure laundry will be an issue - I miss the days when cruise ships had laundry rooms.

5 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

This is not Sun-specific, but since some folks were asking about any tips/tricks:

If you're a chocolate person, most desserts don't live up to the presentation, but there is one exceptional one on NCL that does for chocolate lovers.  It used to be on the menu nightly, but has been only showing up periodically (just twice last week on the Getaway and once on the Sun in Sept. - I always ask to see the dessert menu before deciding whether to eat at the buffet or a main dining room). 

It's the Chocolate Lava Cake, highly recommended.  But I will say the one time I did order it last week, it was overcooked.......first time for that.........grrrrr.

Thanks! That's a good tip!