At what point is it ok to take a "saved" deck chair?

mfan

On my recent cruise on the Liberty we were looking for chairs at 10:00am we found four chairs that were roped together by someones cabin robe belt. We asked the person on either side of the 4 chairs if they were with these saved chairs or if they have seen anyone with them. A women said that she has been out since 8:00 and no one has been there. We unroped the chairs and settled in. Then at about 11:30 a women comes up and says that they were her chairs, and she came out at 7:30 to get them. We said sorry but by 10:00 they looked like they needed someone to sit in them, and there isnt any seat saving. She was annoyed but after a few other choice comments walked away. Normally if its just a book or towel I will leave it alone, but the absolute nerve of roping of chairs was enough for me.

If they were going to rope something together at least use duct tape and people would probably not take them. Of course you are going to have that gray sticky stuff everywhere after the sun heats up after about 3 or 4 hours. People are so stupid. Were they afraid the chairs were going to run off somewhere? I would have strangled them with the robe belt when they showed back up to protest.

Linda

Conquest 5/06

Liberty 9/05

Glory 6/04

Conquest 6/03

I was just thinking that - what if while you were putting someone's items in the lost in found, someone removed your items while you were gone? :eek:

Maybe we should all bring little laminated 4x6 cards that say, "Just ran to the restroom - be right back." etc.

Of course then the chair hogs would just use them too and we would be back to square one.

Diane

Never, just because you are too lazy to get up early and get your own chair doesn't mean you should steal from others that aren't.

It is ok, all you stuff will be fine, you can find them at the Lost and Found.

We should do that were you work, show up in the middle of a nite and put notices in all the best parking spaces ( reserved for bob, he will be here sometime this afternoon, maybe )

I was just thinking that - what if while you were putting someone's items in the lost in found, someone removed your items while you were gone? :eek:

Maybe we should all bring little laminated 4x6 cards that say, "Just ran to the restroom - be right back." etc.

Of course then the chair hogs would just use them too and we would be back to square one.

Diane

I may be completely wrong about this , but don't you think that it is usually pretty easy to tell when a chair is being used and its "owner" is just away getting wet, or grabbing a drink, etc, as opposed to being saved?

I would never think of taking the occupied chair, but would not hesitate to take the one being saved, with a caveat being that if a person is sitting in a chair and has stuff piled on the next one and says that is my spouses. In that circumstance I think it is OK to hold the chair for a while.

i am a single guy and am cruising with the parents. I am sure that i will, at some point, be sunning as far away as possible from both. I can envision going to the bathroom, or getting a burger, and returning too see my stuff gone and a big fat guy lounging in my chair...Is it going to make me mad? yes. can i do anything about it? no. that is one of the minor punishments to being single. haha

We should do that were you work, show up in the middle of a nite and put notices in all the best parking spaces ( reserved for bob, he will be here sometime this afternoon, maybe )

If I got up to go watch the hairy chest contest or grab a plate to bring back to my chairs and somebody removed my stuff, after say about 15-20 minutes...there would be a problem.

I can understand being annoyed at somebody who leaves for an hour or two or saves chairs at 7am only to try and claim them at 10am. But somebody who gets up early, sits for a few hours and decides to take a quick stroll or to run to the cabin to grab something is a different story. Being away for 15-20 minutes is not enough time for the chair posse to take matters into their own hands and remove items. My wife and I use the chairs all day. If we decide to go play bingo, the decision means giving up the chairs. If we decide to both go up and grab some fruit, then I would expect to find my belongings on my chairs when I return in 15 minutes.

This is a tough one. I wouldn't move someone's stuff, I'd ask the person next to them if it was theirs because chances are it's a parent saving a spot for their son/daughter. I also take into consideration that I leave all my stuff on the chair behind me while in the pool or running back to the room quickly, getting lunch, etc. and so I like to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

I WILL say however that it is beyond obnoxious when you see a folded towel sit on a chair until 2 in the afternoon. I'm sorry but if someone can't get up before 2 to come down to the pool then that's crummy to save a seat all day because normally they are RIGHT by the pool. You can sleep at home, you're on vacation!

If I got up to go watch the hairy chest contest or grab a plate to bring back to my chairs and somebody removed my stuff, after say about 15-20 minutes...there would be a problem.

I can understand being annoyed at somebody who leaves for an hour or two or saves chairs at 7am only to try and claim them at 10am. But somebody who gets up early, sits for a few hours and decides to take a quick stroll or to run to the cabin to grab something is a different story. Being away for 15-20 minutes is not enough time for the chair posse to take matters into their own hands and remove items. My wife and I use the chairs all day. If we decide to go play bingo, the decision means giving up the chairs. If we decide to both go up and grab some fruit, then I would expect to find my belongings on my chairs when I return in 15 minutes.

I completly agree, I was responding to someone that implied they get up at 6 or 7 am to reserve a chair for the day, I can only assume they wont actually in in the chair most of the day.

Reserving a chair for 30 min is very different than putting stuff on a chair early in the morning to perhaps use at some point during the day.

i am a single guy and am cruising with the parents. I am sure that i will, at some point, be sunning as far away as possible from both. I can envision going to the bathroom, or getting a burger, and returning too see my stuff gone and a big fat guy lounging in my chair...Is it going to make me mad? yes. can i do anything about it? no. that is one of the minor punishments to being single. haha

Greg,

The solution to that is to kindly let someone sitting nearby of your intentions. Tell them approximately how long you expect to be gone (give yourself an extra 15 minutes). Who knows, you may be talking to your future SO!!:D

Demos: I had a similar situation on a past cruise. There was a row of 5 or 6 chairs being saved with a couple towels laying sideways over the chairs. I asked the people around the chairs if anybody was sitting there and they all said no they hadn't seen anyone and they had been there for an hour or more. So I moved the towel from the end chair and enjoyed some sun for about an hour when this lady came over to me and started yelling at me. She said the chairs were for her family and I was pretty embarrassed. I apologized and moved to another area. It pretty much ruined my afternoon as well because I don't like confrontations. So now I usually sit away from the pool area on the top decks where there are plenty of free chairs. Just isn't worth the hassle if the rude chair hog comes back.

You are not serious are you. Chairs are to be used. Not "held" for hours while someone sleeps in. If I find a book, a mask, egtc. on a chair and no one around. All the stuff goes to lost and found, and the chairs get used.

Who said anything about sleeping I go up on the deck early in the morning and I hang out there all day. Then you see all these fat lazy slobs showing up around 11:00 crying and moaning because there are no chairs left. Then they wait for people to go to lunch and steal their chairs. They are the scumbags.

If someone moved my stuff and I caught them in my chair I'd throw them overboard. How rude can you people be?

Never, just because you are too lazy to get up early and get your own chair doesn't mean you should steal from others that aren't.

I guess some people equate not getting up early to sleeping in.

Then you see all these fat lazy slobs showing up around 11:00 crying and moaning They are the scumbags.

OUCH !!! Talk about rude LOL

If someone moved my stuff and I caught them in my chair I'd throw them overboard. How rude can you people be?

There are people that get up earily and go up and put their towel or books on the chair, then go back and sleep some more get up again and eat breakfast and expect their stuff to be on the chair.

Who said anything about sleeping I go up on the deck early in the morning and I hang out there all day. Then you see all these fat lazy slobs showing up around 11:00 crying and moaning because there are no chairs left. Then they wait for people to go to lunch and steal their chairs. They are the scumbags.

I agree. If you have been there and leave long enough for lunch, etc. Your chair should be left alone. I guess I wasn't clear in my other comments, sorry.

I'm a chair saver in that I wake up early (not intentional), after I throw my stuff in a chair (I really don't care to be right by the pool-just in the sun), I usually do a couple laps around the desk, sleep in the chair for a bit, grab a bite to eat, then I'm in the chair (except for necessity breaks) until I'm done, bored, can't sleep or want to go do something else. When I am ready to leave I will look around for someone looking for a spot, wave them over and offer them the spot. If my DD (11) wants a chair, but really isn't using it, I will make her give it up and we share. I believe the chair wars will continue forever as unfortunately people will be rude forever. Good Luck to all and I promise not to throw your belongings into a heap on the deck:eek: if you do likewise. Thanks:)

I believe the chair wars will continue forever

I put a stop to the war, I created a website called www.Iwillsaveyourchair.com for a small fee of 20.00 I can save your chair while you sleep in or get something eat. Make sure you book now since these freakin chairs dont last long, they go fast, if you book now the first 50 customers will get 5.00 off on all Pool Chairs.

hurry now !!!

Hi Gang...

After having tried 12 other cruise lines, I will be going on the Glory next week. While chair hogs have been a problem on most of those lines, all have pool attendents who can do the dirty work of removing items from saved chairs for you.

In this entire thread, not one reference has been made about deck or pool attendents. Can I assume from this that they are either non existent or don't do anything about the chair hog problem?

I put a stop to the war, I created a website called www.Iwillsaveyourchair.com for a small fee of 20.00 I can save your chair while you sleep in or get something eat. Make sure you book now since these freakin chairs dont last long, they go fast, if you book now the first 50 customers will get 5.00 off on all Pool Chairs.

hurry now !!!

HA! HA! HA! Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.:)

Hi Gang...

After having tried 12 other cruise lines, I will be going on the Glory next week. While chair hogs have been a problem on most of those lines, all have pool attendents who can do the dirty work of removing items from saved chairs for you.

In this entire thread, not one reference has been made about deck or pool attendents. Can I assume from this that they are either non existent or don't do anything about the chair hog problem?

You would be correct in your assumption. Their aren't really any attendants around the pool, unless you count the folks hawking drinks. But don't let this thread fool you, we've been on a few cruises ourselves, all on Carnival, and haven't ever had a chair problem. However, I don't HAVE to HAVE a poolside chair either. As long as I get a little sunshine, I'm good.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived