At what point is it ok to take a "saved" deck chair?

mfan

So I admit I am blonde, but how does one know if a chair is being saved so someone can go to the loo or get a snack or take a dip, versus keeping a chair 'reserved' for hours on end?

Well you watch it for, have a cocktail, then after awhile I normally ask the neighbors and ask if someone has been there.

I am up at 5:30 am usually and it is astounding how many people put savers (bags, book, shoes) out even that early.

So I admit I am blonde, but how does one know if a chair is being saved so someone can go to the loo or get a snack or take a dip, versus keeping a chair 'reserved' for hours on end?

That is what I asked back on post # 67 - and I am not blond.

Well you watch it for, have a cocktail, then after awhile I normally ask the neighbors and ask if someone has been there.

I am up at 5:30 am usually and it is astounding how many people put savers (bags, book, shoes) out even that early.

What if I am not thirsty - just tired?

What if I am not thirsty - just tired?

what I mean is, it isn't hard to wait a little bit and see if someone returns. This avoids taking a chair if someone is up for 5 min going to the restrooms.

I think we all agree that it isn't the people who are gone for the 15 min, 20 min, 30 min.. that make us angry.. it is those who rant and rave after having put their "item" on "their" chair at 4 am and expect it to be there at noon when they get up.

I am up and I refuse to do it myself, no one else should.

However, you shouldn't come back from the restroom and see you stuff dumped on the ground either... Wait the few minutes and see if someone comes back.. or ask a neighbor.

Cuizer2~ I think it got lost in the shuffle. I am sorry I didn't try bring attention to yours as well...

It is not a problem, I am just having a little fun. That includes my remark about not being thirsty, just tired.

As I noted earlier, I have never had this problem. But if I did, I would bring it to the attention of one of Carnival's staff. That way if a problem did occur, I would have Carnival's staff on my side.

I personally like the 30 minute rule. If I see a lounger vacant for longer than 30 minutes I will go up to the area and ask those around they have seen the occupant in a while.. If they have not I will ask one of the carnival employees to remove the abandoned items and order a drink from them. Only one time has a person come back and confronted me I told them that i didn't touch thier stuff but maybe they shouldn't leave thier belongings lieing around. They left in anger but that is thier problem... My day was not ruined

I would love to watch someone confront me as I am a fairly large dude. 6'4" 280 pounds an an amateur mixed martial arts fighter.

I really like your solution......actually ask the employees to enforce the rules. I also got a laugh from your last sentence. I would never have pictured DappleDumpling as 6'4 280 and a martial arts expert....:eek: :)

I really like your solution......actually ask the employees to enforce the rules. I also got a laugh from your last sentence. I would never have pictured DappleDumpling as 6'4 280 and a martial arts expert....:eek: :)

The solution is very good, but it still doesn't solve the ignorant person who trots out at 2 pm having put their shoes on a chair at 6 am, making a scene..

I am there on vacation and can hold my own, but it isn't something most normal people want to deal with on their well deserved vacation.

Carnival really should do something.

The solution is very good, but it still doesn't solve the ignorant person who trots out at 2 pm having put their shoes on a chair at 6 am, making a scene..

I am there on vacation and can hold my own, but it isn't something most normal people want to deal with on their well deserved vacation.

Carnival really should do something.

I totally agree. We always stayed in the same condo at the beach here (before hurricane damage at least) almost every year and had an upper balcony overlooking the pool area. I usually get up early and my entertainment was sitting out on the balcony and watching people in their pajamas, etc going out to place their towels on a chair to save them. I did see someone one day go out and remove each one and soak it in the pool. Not condoning that but it was funny at the time.

"There are people that get up earily and go up and put their towel or books on the chair, then go back and sleep some more get up again and eat breakfast and expect their stuff to be on the chair."

Why not go to sleep in the chairs? I do!!!:p

When we were on the Conquest, I woke up at 6:30, got DH up, and we went to breakfast. We were in chairs by 8:00, and I was back to sleep by 8:15, when I woke up at 9:00, it was time to put on the sunscreen, and start my reading for the day!

Ohh the good ole days, I can't wait until the GLory!

"There are people that get up earily and go up and put their towel or books on the chair, then go back and sleep some more get up again and eat breakfast and expect their stuff to be on the chair."

Why not go to sleep in the chairs? I do!!!:p

When we were on the Conquest, I woke up at 6:30, got DH up, and we went to breakfast. We were in chairs by 8:00, and I was back to sleep by 8:15, when I woke up at 9:00, it was time to put on the sunscreen, and start my reading for the day!

Ohh the good ole days, I can't wait until the GLory!

Another great idea that seems fair! If you want to save a seat for a spouse this works great, I don't see anyone having an issue with you doing this....

Has anyone ever tried to talk to security / deck hands to see if they are supposed to take off the "saving items" that have been there for hours?

The first and only cruise so far was last Sept. and I found majority of people to be gracious. I never once went without a lounge chair when I wanted one. It being that time of year there wasn't hardly any kiddos tho, I'm sure that made somewhat of a difference. Even the people drinking were very polite tho. We're going again this year (same month) and am I glad I have read all this. I'd rather not have to go thru any of that on my vacation, but I will take a chair that has obviously been vacant for a while. If the person returns and has an attitude I think I'll just find somewhere else to relax. Those kinds of people are usually just miserable no matter what, hell, let 'em be miserable without me. I believe in sharing, and I'm glad I was raised with a few social manners.

Martha

I've got to agree. Very good thread. Thank you to all who posted.

Yes, most of us are here for good, friendly discussions, (and having silly, innocent fun on other threads, too).

This has been a good discussion on this particular topic. Congrats to all involved!!

Went on my first cruise last summer on Victory. The ship was sold out, and we never had a problem with ever getting a lounge chair. I always went out to the pool area about 11 or 1130. What I found rude was the kids, jumping into the pools and not looking to see if anyone was there. I got nailed by a girl who was about 10 and her mother yelled at me for being in her kids way having fun. I just laughed it off. I was on my honeymoon no need to get in a arguement.

Went on my first cruise last summer on Victory. The ship was sold out, and we never had a problem with ever getting a lounge chair. I always went out to the pool area about 11 or 1130. What I found rude was the kids, jumping into the pools and not looking to see if anyone was there. I got nailed by a girl who was about 10 and her mother yelled at me for being in her kids way having fun. I just laughed it off. I was on my honeymoon no need to get in a arguement.

Of course it was your fault.... Don't you know "Kids first, Adults second"...

Some parents are oblivious to the fact that others are on the ship trying to have fun as well. Apparently she thought you were there to cater to her kids enjoyment...

OP!! LOL....

Another question I have for people, is during the breakfast buffet why do people insist on getting 2 or 3 plates of food at one time. At first I thought they were taking them for their kids or other people, but most of them took it for themselves. Dont they relize that you can go back???

Also I nevered answer the orginal question, I say if the chair is unoccupied for more than a HR then take it, only if you ask people sitting around or you timed it personally.

Another question I have for people, is during the breakfast buffet why do people insist on getting 2 or 3 plates of food at one time. At first I thought they were taking them for their kids or other people, but most of them took it for themselves. Dont they relize that you can go back???

Also I nevered answer the orginal question, I say if the chair is unoccupied for more than a HR then take it, only if you ask people sitting around or you timed it personally.

That is rather generous.. Even 30 min.... There is never any harm in asking neighbors. If it is me, and I am off in the pool or grabbing a cocktail I don't pack up everything I own and bring it with me. It isn't too hard to see if someone is saving a seat or using it. Just use common sense and ask the people around the empty chair....

Didn't you see the "Don't stand under jumping kids" sign at the side of the pool? :D

well, the way i look at it - if you aren't in the chair, it's available. i paid for my ticket just like you did. if it's empty, it will be mine. thou queen of the chair hogs can come and yell all they want but should taken caution because they will have met their match and still won't get the chair. i will just sit there and laugh and the more they yell, the more i will laugh. i may even begin to get the crowd to yell "chair hog, chair hog, chair hog, chair hog". yee-ha! let the games begin! monday as a matter of fact because that is when i will be cruising again. i will think of all of you who have good chair hog postings on this thread and will grab a chair just for you! lol

i may even make me some chair hog tags......anyone want to sponsor me...i can put "compliments of ?????" lol

well, the way i look at it - if you aren't in the chair, it's available. i paid for my ticket just like you did. if it's empty, it will be mine. thou queen of the chair hogs can come and yell all they want but should taken caution because they will have met their match and still won't get the chair. i will just sit there and laugh and the more they yell, the more i will laugh. i may even begin to get the crowd to yell "chair hog, chair hog, chair hog, chair hog". yee-ha! let the games begin! monday as a matter of fact because that is when i will be cruising again. i will think of all of you who have good chair hog postings on this thread and will grab a chair just for you! lol

i may even make me some chair hog tags......anyone want to sponsor me...i can put "compliments of ?????" lol

LOL... I agree.. but do you also believe that if someone gets up to go in the hot tub, leaves the chair for five to ten minutes and comes back. They should find their stuff all over the ground and no chair?? This is what some consider as acceptable chair taking.

Eventually you would get up for some reason...bathroom, etc. Then I would jump in your chair. Your rules seem fair. Get up, lose the chair.:rolleyes:

Archived