Rome to Athens in 7 days?

astro2001

Help! My family has 7 days and is trying to get to the "major sites" to visit in this short time... I'm thinking ideally a one-way cruise between Rome and Athens that stops in Santorini along the way.

Maybe it is not geographically possible in that short amount of time, or maybe I'm just not finding it, so just wanted to ask if I'm missing something? 

If it doesn't exist, I appreciate it if anyone can point us in the right direction for an itinerary that touches on the "major sites" in the least time given 1) out limited time and 2) younger kids who will recognize the big sites. 

Thanks!

Edited by astro2001
notify

For starters, What are the "major sites" to you?  (For example, I wouldn't include Santorini in mine...)

Even on a seven-day cruise there is no way you'll be able to see more than 5 places and unless you are adding extra days at each end you will not have time to see the starting and ending destinations.

When would you be looking to travel?  Time of year also plays a role in availability of cruises in the Med.

This summer Royal Caribbean offers a 7-day cruise that is round-trip from Rome and visits Naples, Santorini, Athens, and Mykonos before returning to Rome.

Princess has a 7-day Rome to Athens that includes Naples, Kotor, Corfu, Crete, Mykonos and Athens. Not what I'd consider a "greatest hits" itinerary, but an option.

If you are including travelling time from USA then you are really tight for sightseeing.

Scenario 1:  You get a flight friday evening (after you all have finished work/school etc) and score a direct flight to Rome.  So you arrive Rome mid morning Saturday, get to your hotel and you have the afternoon and evening to see one of the great cities of Europe.  You are jet lagged.  Possibly you get to see Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, maybe the Pantheon.  Next morning check out of your hotel, visit the St Peter's Square in Vaticano (you do not have time to tour Vatican) and get a private transfer down to Civitacecchia to board your cruise (travel time 1 - 1.5 hours depending on traffic).

This is presuming your ship sails on Sunday, then your 7 day cruise arrives back in port on Sunday and you need to get a flight back to USA for work on Monday morning. But you have arrived in Athens and that needs a day to explore.

Where will you see in those 7 days - some good sites/sights, but not a lot of the major sites.  Naples will give you a trip to Pomeii/Herculaneum/Sorrento, Crete is good for Knossos Palace.   Santorini is mmmmmh. (huge crowds and poor access).

Of the two cruises mentioned by @cruisemom42 I would be more inclined to go with the Princess cruise, but you really need to add a day or two on at each end of the cruise!

Thanks everyone.  I think VMax1700 has captured what I was thinking.  We are flying from US on 5/22 or 5/23, ideally embarking on 5/24 for 7 days.  We have some time after the cruise to sightsee in port city (whether that is Rome, Athens)

I think we (by we I mean my wife/kids) consider the "major sites" to be Rome, Athens, and Pisa.  Santorini and the coast of France (Cannes?) would be a big plus for my kids.  

So basically, a 7 day cruise with a few days on either end for sightseeing.  We are really hoping for begin cruise on 5/24 for schedule purposes.

Edited by astro2001
typos

10 minutes ago, astro2001 said:

Thanks everyone.  I think VMax1700 has captured what I was thinking.  We are flying from US on 5/22 or 5/23, ideally embarking on 5/24 for 7 days.  We have some time after the cruise to sightsee in port city (whether that is Rome, Athens)

I think we (by we I mean my wife/kids) consider the "major sites" to be Rome, Athens, and Pisa.  Santorini and the coast of France (Cannes?) would be a big plus for my kids.  

So basically, a 7 day cruise with a few days on either end for sightseeing.  We are really hoping for begin cruise on 5/24 for schedule purposes.

There are a number of 7-day cruises that begin on May 24.

However, you will have to make some compromises on itinerary, as your desire to see Athens and Santorini would be primarily met via an Eastern Med cruise many of which depart from and return to Venice. While Livorno (for Pisa) and Cannes are more likely to be on a Western Med itinerary (that likely also includes Rome but may begin or end in Barcelona).

I suggest you look for one of the major travel agencies online that have search engines for locating cruises of interest and plug in your region (Med), cruise start date and length (7 days) to see what is available. Far more than I can list here, offered by NCL, MSC (an Italian line, known to have cheap fares for families), Costa and Royal Caribbean. Those are what I'd consider the more family-friendly lines but there are also others like Crystal, Windstar, etc....