Has San Juan Airport Improved

from several years ago post 9/11? My wife and I like the southern C trips but are afraid to book through SanJuan. They seem so overwhelmed when more than one ship is in Port. I love the city and the people but the aiport concerns me.

Cruising in Cape May

It moves at a much slower pace than US airports to say the least. We arrived around 2 and were out of the airport by 2:40. Heading back, we got to the airport about 9:30, checked bags and were through security in under 15 minutes. Don't know if that helps...?

No, I would guess it has not improved since you were there last. When we left 1/14/06 (Saturday) it was an absolute madhouse. There was a line a mile long right inside the door for the "agricultural inspection" and it was not moving - thank goodness you go through customs coming off the ship and get to skip that at the airport! Security was fine (and quick), but once inside the terminal it was a madhouse. Every gate had all seats filled, people milling around in the common area, just generally a pain to walk any where because there isn't enough room. It was so busy that day that it took us a long time even once in the plane (which was late, and we then missed our connecting flight in Atlanta) to wait for our turn to take off. San Juan now has the honor of being my least favorite airport among those we've visited. :rolleyes: Add to all of that that we had to end a wonderful vacation and it wasn't the best day ever.

I need to take issue with the continual "knocks" against Puerto Rico - the people, the airport, etc. We sailed on A.O.S. in 2003 and on 1/8/06. The airport has been significantly improved since 2003. We experienced a minimal security wait.

When we landed in San Juan, we probably got our bags within 15 minutes. When we checked-in, the process took perhaps 15 minutes. The flights weer all on time. I would say the only "hectic" part of the airport was getting ground transportation. But at worse, that was a 10-15 minute process.

The airport in terms of the lines, etc., is no worse than many airports I've been to in the U.S. in general and when "special" security procedures are in effect.

Happy cruising....

When we landed in San Juan, we probably got our bags within 15 minutes.

Happy cruising....

Well, that certainly wasn't our experience last April. It took over 45 minutes for the luggage from our plane to get to baggage claim after we got there. For a good part of that time no bags were showing up. It was like they went on a afternoon siesta. When the luggage did show up it was on a carousel designated for a flight other that ours. After finally getting our bags there was a huge line to get out of the building as they has one person at the door checking baggage claim checks to see if you were stealing luggage.

Once we finally hit the sidewalk things improved greatly.

My opinion is that the SJU airport is pretty poor.

This is one of the few airports that I have flown to/from that if you are not a member of an airlines private club it is worth the money to join for the day, if you have a long wait.

Airport In San Juan Has Improved Quite A Bit Since My Cruise Out In 2002. I Have Cruised Every Year Since. Just Returned Last Saturday 01/28/06. We Flew Us Air. Us Air Has Check In Right Outside Of Cruise Terminal. This Was Great We Check Our Bags Got Our Boarding Passes Right There. If You Travel American Airlines You Can Check Your Bags And Get Your Boarding Passes On Board Ship For A Small Fee. Hope This Helps

Well, that certainly wasn't our experience last April. It took over 45 minutes for the luggage from our plane to get to baggage claim after we got there. For a good part of that time no bags were showing up. It was like they went on a afternoon siesta. When the luggage did show up it was on a carousel designated for a flight other that ours. After finally getting our bags there was a huge line to get out of the building as they has one person at the door checking baggage claim checks to see if you were stealing luggage.

Funny, we had the same experience at Washington National Airport (DCA). I suppose they were taking a siesta, too.:rolleyes:

We were at SJU for the first time last month, and the only thing that noticed that was different was the agricultural x-ray scan, and the fact there's no sign to direct you to it once you get your bags off the carousel, an employee directed us there. Otherwise, it was just like any other busy airport to me. There was someone at the door checking baggage claim checks, but the line moved along nicely.

I went through SJU in 2003 and last Sunday. I really don't find it any more difficult than any other busy airport. I have never found it difficult to find my way about it unlike, say, George Bush INTL (arrrgh) and its one heck of a swoop in and out of it what with flying half on land and on sea. Best of all, it is super for duty free shopping if you have the time!!!!

After finally getting our bags there was a huge line to get out of the building as they has one person at the door checking baggage claim checks to see if you were stealing luggage.

We got a porter, and got to skip this particular step. Also, the line for taxis was VERY LONG (maybe 35-40 yards long?). By using the porter, it skipped us right up to the front of the line. We were in a taxi within 3 or 4 minutes. At this airport, I'd say it's well worth tipping a porter to lug your suitcase(s)...just for the time saving aspect if nothing else.

It depends on which day you are there and how many ships are turning that day. On Sundays there are only two, so it is a breeze - on Saturday there are four I believe which would make it more hectic and crowded.

Someone once posted a link where you could see which ships turn on which days, to give you an idea of how crowded the airport is likely to be on your day. I can't find the link now though. Does anyone else know where to find the link?

By the way, I went through San Juan in 1996 and it was awful. I went through again in 2004 and it was a HUGE improvement. Not as good as your usual domestic locations, but way better than it was before.

I don't think it is really fair comparing the two anyway - the ships kick people off so early, and so the people who don't do excursions are camped out at the airport all day gumming up the works - completely different from your usual airport experience.

I traveled through SJU in 2004 and it wasn't bad. Just had to wait until they would allow us to go through security. I had a much tougher time in FLL last year as that airport can not handle the amount of cruise traffic it gets on the weekend. Talk about a nightmare.

Please notice that we are going back to SJU this year.

Jen

Thank you! That is exactly the link I was thinking of!

To the OP - if you click on Ports, then San Juan, you will be able to see the schedule and be better prepared for the airport experience on your day. This also makes it clear why you got such a wide range of responses to your question.

We will arrive back in San Juan on a Tuesday, after a 10-day cruise. It seems there are no other ships in port that day, so it should be relatively calm, no?

I am thinking of buying the cruiseline's airport transfer, so my parents and I don't have to stand in a long taxi line. They really can't do that much standing. Even if we have to wait for the bus to fill, we'll be sitting while we do it.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks in advance,

Susan

Not sure if our problem was with the airline or airport but just this past November we checked 5 bags from Providence, arrived in San Juan, got 3 bags. 2 bags went missing. Got one bag the next day, all of our sons clothes, glad we went a day early.

When leaving for home we waited about 90 minutes to check in. Security had a long line but it moved okay. Departing flights were delayed about 1 hr and gate kept changing with no notice. Finally left and got home and had only 1 out of 4 bags that were checked. The other 3 bags were still in PR despite us checking in 3 hours before our flight. Started getting bags back 1 at a time over the next couple of days. Finally got them all back. The first bag that was lost going to San Juan was finally returned to us a full 20 days after we got home from the cruise.

Prior year we didn't lose any bags but were delayed leaving for several hours due to the backlog of departing flights.

Despite the airport issues, we're going back again this November. Eventually they get you out, just have to have some patience.

We will arrive back in San Juan on a Tuesday, after a 10-day cruise. It seems there are no other ships in port that day, so it should be relatively calm, no?

I am thinking of buying the cruiseline's airport transfer, so my parents and I don't have to stand in a long taxi line. They really can't do that much standing. Even if we have to wait for the bus to fill, we'll be sitting while we do it.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks in advance,

Susan

Hi Susan...When we finished our 11 night cruise in December, there were only two ships in port, so the airport wasn't bad. When you use the cruise transfers, you will wait on the bus until it fills up, but when you arrive at the airport, the truck with your luggage doesn't always follow behind you! We waited for ours for about 20 minutes, which wasn't bad, but no place to sit while awaiting the truck(you have to claim your own luggage). I suspect they could wait for you inside while you get their bags....Have a great cruise!... Helen

I was in the San Juan airport yesterday - the day the cruisers were all leaving on flights. We didn't have any issues with the airport....the usual volume of passengers but everything went relatively smoothly. I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise out of San Juan - the airport was a non-issue for us.

Did you have a direct flight or a connecting flight?

This is one reason that we put a few of everyone's outfits into each suitcase. If one gets lost, we all still have clothes to wear.

Not sure if our problem was with the airline or airport but just this past November we checked 5 bags from Providence, arrived in San Juan, got 3 bags. 2 bags went missing. Got one bag the next day, all of our sons clothes, glad we went a day early.

When leaving for home we waited about 90 minutes to check in. Security had a long line but it moved okay. Departing flights were delayed about 1 hr and gate kept changing with no notice. Finally left and got home and had only 1 out of 4 bags that were checked. The other 3 bags were still in PR despite us checking in 3 hours before our flight. Started getting bags back 1 at a time over the next couple of days. Finally got them all back. The first bag that was lost going to San Juan was finally returned to us a full 20 days after we got home from the cruise.

Prior year we didn't lose any bags but were delayed leaving for several hours due to the backlog of departing flights.

Despite the airport issues, we're going back again this November. Eventually they get you out, just have to have some patience.

I think the airport works very well, considering the millions of pax they transfer each year. The airport seems fuller of folks sitting around waiting, most likely because people get off their ships and go to the airport and wait for hours and hours, rather than lug bags around. We thought the airport was fine and I also think it would be a rare day in SJU that only one ship was in port.

Try flying into Philly.

Over 1 hour to get my bag last week. And yes, the entire plane had to wait that long too!!

Archived