Thank you Cruisecritic!

roger3858

We've just returned from our Eastbound TA - our first outing with Cunard. Had a ball and now thoroughly depressed to be home to trying to convince She who must be obeyed that we really should try the Fjords in the summer.

Just wanted to say thanks to those on this board - I've been a fairly long term lurker but the information from posts on here meant we were much better informed about what to see, what to do and very importantly what to eat!!

A few random thoughts and comments

Q5 midships on deck 9 was very nice, I'd worried about whether the lifeboards on the deck below would interfere with view but not at all

The nice pens are alive and well - I think I managed to collect 3 in my pocket to do me for a while

Service in QG was attentive, restrained and 'British' - we liked it but I think some of the US guests found it a little more cold than what they're used to

I really shouldn't eat as much as I do - 8lb on in the week, shirt collar definitely a bit tighter by the last formal night!

Caviar, foie gras and lobster all available

Osman's carbonara is excellent as are the crepe suzettes

I found lots of off menu options from reading peoples posts here but I always felt as if there was a 'secret' menu of things they could/had done or that were their specialties - I felt that knowing more might have broadened my choices.

Library was superb, cocktails a little underwhelming. Drinks package seems daft and put us off getting it. On NCL if I ordered a drink above the threshold I paid the difference only - Cunard's way of doing it seems counterproductive (I accept bottles of wine are a different matter).

Only time I really noticed any sway was using the covered pool on deck 12 - really very noticeable water movement. Others complained about the sway and said it felt rough.

Thoroughly enjoyed dressing for dinner as did my wife- have threatened to start wearing dinner suit for dinner at home, she has sadly vetoed this as with my suggestion that I try flambéing desserts...

If anyone has any questions from last weeks crossing happy to try to answer them, I've the full set of QG menus for the week if anyone wants them.

Once again many thanks to all who post on here and who answered at a lot of my questions. Really enhanced our trip!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi roger3858 - great to hear that you had such a nice time.  I also suffer from the sea air shrinking all of my clothes.  The problem seems to be worst on decks 9 or 10 for the poor grills passengers.  Avoiding desserts seems to help a little (there must be some strange adverse chemical interaction between the salt air and sugar), but I have to indulge for anything that catches fire at tableside.

Good luck settling back onto land!

2 hours ago, roger3858 said:

We've just returned from our Eastbound TA - our first outing with Cunard. Had a ball and now thoroughly depressed to be home to trying to convince She who must be obeyed that we really should try the Fjords in the summer.

Just wanted to say thanks to those on this board - I've been a fairly long term lurker but the information from posts on here meant we were much better informed about what to see, what to do and very importantly what to eat!!

A few random thoughts and comments

Q5 midships on deck 9 was very nice, I'd worried about whether the lifeboards on the deck below would interfere with view but not at all

The nice pens are alive and well - I think I managed to collect 3 in my pocket to do me for a while

Service in QG was attentive, restrained and 'British' - we liked it but I think some of the US guests found it a little more cold than what they're used to

I really shouldn't eat as much as I do - 8lb on in the week, shirt collar definitely a bit tighter by the last formal night!

Caviar, foie gras and lobster all available

Osman's carbonara is excellent as are the crepe suzettes

I found lots of off menu options from reading peoples posts here but I always felt as if there was a 'secret' menu of things they could/had done or that were their specialties - I felt that knowing more might have broadened my choices.

Library was superb, cocktails a little underwhelming. Drinks package seems daft and put us off getting it. On NCL if I ordered a drink above the threshold I paid the difference only - Cunard's way of doing it seems counterproductive (I accept bottles of wine are a different matter).

Only time I really noticed any sway was using the covered pool on deck 12 - really very noticeable water movement. Others complained about the sway and said it felt rough.

Thoroughly enjoyed dressing for dinner as did my wife- have threatened to start wearing dinner suit for dinner at home, she has sadly vetoed this as with my suggestion that I try flambéing desserts...

If anyone has any questions from last weeks crossing happy to try to answer them, I've the full set of QG menus for the week if anyone wants them.

Once again many thanks to all who post on here and who answered at a lot of my questions. Really enhanced our trip!

roger3858,

Welcome home and thank you for the review.

Would appreciate if you can post the QG menus if you have the time.

We too enjoy the Flambe desserts....