Princess vs Royal Caribbean

MaaDo

Don't you love it when a person that was not there tries to tell you that what you perceive as someone being rude wasn't???:rolleyes: Nice that some people know everything.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...just like I've never partaken in MUTS and yet I know how I'd dislike it.

I’m just puzzled as to why I’ve never been treated rudely on a Princess ship? I’ve had people be a little short with me because of language barrier issues, I’ve had interaction with people who have been preoccupied with other passengers and who understandably could not give me their full attention, but I’ve never had anyone be rude. Hard to imagine. On the other hand, I did see a passenger tell a staff member they were inconsiderate because they didn't understand their question, and I've also seen many passenger be rude to staff members because they think that since they are on vacation, it's something the can do.

I have no crystal ball that tells me what happened in this particular instance - only what I've perceived over almost 10 years cruising on Princess ships. I guess experience counts for nothing...whatever.

Sorry, I haven't sailed on either line yet, but...

He told you that you would be a disappointment???? Unbelievable and totally unacceptable.

Oh, I could just see my DH now. Having spent many years in the restaurant business, he would have had the maitre d's general manager (or whatever the title is) in that diningroom in a NY second, standing next to the maitre d', demanding an apology from him to you!

It's one thing for a maitre d' to quietly let you know you are not properly dressed, but quite a different ballgame when he tells you that your fellow passengers will be disappointed because of your attire and then making an issue out of it.

I can only hope that maitre d' is now bussing tables!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence...just like I've never partaken in MUTS and yet I know how I'd dislike it.

I’m just puzzled as to why I’ve never been treated rudely on a Princess ship? I’ve had people be a little short with me because of language barrier issues, I’ve had interaction with people who have been preoccupied with other passengers and who understandably could not give me their full attention, but I’ve never had anyone be rude. Hard to imagine. On the other hand, I did see a passenger tell a staff member they were inconsiderate because they didn't understand their question, and I've also seen many passenger be rude to staff members because they think that since they are on vacation, it's something the can do.

I have no crystal ball that tells me what happened in this particular instance - only what I've perceived over almost 10 years cruising on Princess ships. I guess experience counts for nothing...whatever.

I will never understand why you are saying Merrynite must be lying about the Maitre 'd being rude because no Princess employee has ever been rude to you. It doesn't make any sense, especially since people post here all the time that this employee or that employee was rude. It happens.

It's OK for people to post their issues here, Princess will survive. :)

Bottom line, you were not there. Just because something has not happened to you does not mean that it cannot happen to someone else. You basically called this person a liar for her statement and that is rude.

Just because a person hasn't personally experienced rudeness from a member of the cruise staff doesn't mean it can't happen and stating that rudeness couldn't happen on Princess but that it could on another line is not only disingenuous but was totally uncalled for. IMHO such a statement calls for a retraction or an apology. Trust me there are rude passengers and, on occasion, there are rude cruise staff. It is part of the human condition and while most corporations attempt to insure that their employees treat their customers with the utmost courtesy, there are inevitably those employees who fail to meet that standard.

There’s no way to substantiate the level of rudeness of the Matre’d. I would suggest that he may not have been rude at all – given the position this person holds on the ship, I wouldn’t think rudeness would be allowed. Maybe on RCI.
I never said the poster was a liar nor did I say I was there and knew what the situation was. I only made a suggestion. Therefore I don’t feel I owe the poster an apology, but if it will make everyone feel better...

Exactly as posted, because my experience doesn’t match others does not mean they don’t perceived theirs happened. You are totally correct, I can only recount my experience which is what I did. And since my experience is often discounted, I’m not sure how it can be used to make someone a liar.

Please read my post and please don’t put words into it that aren’t there.

negc-Thanks so much for the comparison of RCI to Princess. We are sailing on the Sapphire in a little less than a month:D Our last two cruises have been on RCI which I have ejoyed, but I don't think that I will do the Voyager class ship again. Way to internally focused for my liking. How would you compare the Sapphire to the Navigator? I don't think it will be any comparison to the Jewel which I loved! BTW can you get some of your prospective shipmates to drop the halloween cruise? The ship is already sold out:eek:

I never said the poster was a liar nor did I say I was there and knew what the situation was. I only made a suggestion. Therefore I don’t feel I owe the poster an apology, but if it will make everyone feel better... Exactly as posted, because my experience doesn’t match others does not mean they don’t perceived theirs happened. You are totally correct, I can only recount my experience which is what I did. And since my experience is often discounted, I’m not sure how it can be used to make someone a liar.

Please read my post and please don’t put words into it that aren’t there.

No one was putting words in your mouth. It's funny that all of us that commented read your comments the same way. You just cannot admit to being wrong.:rolleyes:

negc-Thanks so much for the comparison of RCI to Princess. We are sailing on the Sapphire in a little less than a month:D Our last two cruises have been on RCI which I have ejoyed, but I don't think that I will do the Voyager class ship again. Way to internally focused for my liking. How would you compare the Sapphire to the Navigator? I don't think it will be any comparison to the Jewel which I loved! BTW can you get some of your prospective shipmates to drop the halloween cruise? The ship is already sold out:eek:

I have not been on Navigator but have sailed on Voyager, Explorer and Mariner. That class of ship is not my favorite because, as you say, the emphasis is on drawing you into the interior of the ship. I have a particula problem with the concierge lounge in that regard.

I thought that the Sapphire Princess was a beautiful ship that has some design flaws that make getting from some parts of the ship to other parts difficult. That is especially true of the placement of the traditional dining room, which is aft on Deck 6. To get there from anywhere else on Deck 6, you have to go up a deck walk to the rear of the ship and then go back down to Deck 6. The lounges, overall were very roomy and pleasantly decorated and the theater had terrific sightlines. The so-called Wake View lounge, however offers little or no view of the wake unless you stand and look out through a few portholes. I had expected something more like the aft lounge on Jewel of the Seas where you could sit and relax and look out the aft section through those huge floor to ceiling windows. It does seem very big at times, especially if you decide to walk from the Lotus pool all the way back to the aft pool. In fact, Rita commented when we were on Freedom this weekend, that the design made Sapphire to be bigger (longer) than the Freedom. Rooms on the Freedom were much larger than what we experienced on Sapphire Princess and the new beds are fantastic. An especially nice feature of the Freedom is that Diamond and Diamond Plus members will have the use of the Diamond Club as their concierge lounge. It is located at the rear of the Viking Crown lounge and has terrific floor to ceiling windows.

Sorry, for your sake, that the Halloween cruise has turned out to be so popular as we'd love to have the opportunity to sail with you guys again.

Enjoy your time on Sapphire Princess. I was very impressed with the food in the dining room at night and never once found myself tempted to order from the "always available" section of the menu.:) The pizza is terrific as well and far superior IMHO to what RCI provides - but nothing matches the crepes that they serve on Jewel.

Keep an eye on the availability on Jewel as the time for final payment approaches and maybe something will become available.

Originally Posted by bdjam

There’s no way to substantiate the level of rudeness of the Matre’d. I would suggest that he may not have been rude at all – given the position this person holds on the ship, I wouldn’t think rudeness would be allowed. Maybe on RCI.

Brian, I still think you need to take back your gratuitous slap at RCI. IT was rude and completely uncalled for and doesn't add any credibility to your position.

No one was putting words in your mouth. It's funny that all of us that commented read your comments the same way. You just cannot admit to being wrong.:rolleyes:
I would venture to say there is some conspiracy in your opinions…I cannot help what you read into my posts – the words written don’t support your perception…that’s a problem with the written word. The reader is allowed to let his or her imagination take them where ever they’d like to go.
Brian, I still think you need to take back your gratuitous slap at RCI. IT was rude and completely uncalled for and doesn't add any credibility to your position.
Well the gratuitous slap at RCI was purposeful and if it will make you happy – but only you – I’ll take it back. Still doesn’t change the rest of my post. In 10 years of sailing Princess ships I've never witnessed a crew member being rude to a passenger - that's a lot of ships and a lot of passengers - and I'm sticking to my story.

Back to the topic at hand - since I've never set foot on an RCI ship and never will - I can't comment.

And this is because......? :confused:

Perhaps because it is easier to dislike something if you've never actually experienced it, and don't have to let the truth get in the way of your preconceptions:rolleyes:.

I’m just puzzled as to why I’ve never been treated rudely on a Princess ship?

After 45 cruises with RCI, I can honestly say I have NEVER been treated rudely.

On my one and only Princess cruise in the early 90s, I was pursued down the hall after leaving my cabin on debarkation day by my room steward, who was in a tizzy and rudely and loudly accused me of stiffing him.

I marched back to my cabin and walked over to the bed where I had left my Thank You note for his service along with a generous tip. He had already stripped the bed so I went thru the bedding and found the envelope - which had fallen to the floor - and handed it to him.

I then walked out while he was attempting to apologize for his amazingly rude behavior.

I went thru the bedding and found the envelope - which had fallen to the floor - and handed it to him.

I then walked out while he was attempting to apologize for his amazingly rude behavior.

WOW! Kudos to you!

I would have removed the contents and handed him the empty envelope!

After 45 cruises with RCI, I can honestly say I have NEVER been treated rudely.

On my one and only Princess cruise in the early 90s, I was pursued down the hall after leaving my cabin on debarkation day by my room steward, who was in a tizzy and rudely and loudly accused me of stiffing him.

I marched back to my cabin and walked over to the bed where I had left my Thank You note for his service along with a generous tip. He had already stripped the bed so I went thru the bedding and found the envelope - which had fallen to the floor - and handed it to him.

Rudeness is unacceptable in any venue, however IMO, a personal hand shake and goodbye would have been better than leaving the tip on the dresser. Sometimes during changeover, your cabin steward has helpers cleaning the rooms. Often goodies left for the steward get misplaced...

Rudeness is unacceptable in any venue, however IMO, a personal hand shake and goodbye would have been better than leaving the tip on the dresser. Sometimes during changeover, your cabin steward has helpers cleaning the rooms. Often goodies left for the steward get misplaced...

IMO, that is irrelevant and does not excuse his totally unprofessional behavior. Even if I had chosen not to tip him at all, he should have remained silent. That experience has caused Princess to never get another booking from me, either as a TA recommending a line nor as a client.

In those days, room stewards did not have helpers, BTW. That is fairly recent in the industry.

I normally make an effort for a personal thank you but it is not always possible.

This particular cruise was problematic due to us being forced to remain docked in St. Thomas due a hurricane. We were a day late getting in and I was more concerned about rebooking my flight (since Princess made no efforts to help in that regard) and getting home than making sure I shook hands with my room steward.

Bill

Thanks for the input :) I would love to try the Freedom one of these days with those new beds. I am going to keep my eye open on the Jewel. :) I figure as the final payment time gets nearer some are bound to cancel (at least I hope they do) If I don't make it have a great time, and a rum swizzle for me.

Tonya

Archived