New to Costa - FAQ could be more helpful!

willow028

We just booked our first cruise on Costa and I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with as I can't seem to find the answers in their FAQs.

First - can someone please explain to my American self the difference between "spirits" and "cocktails"?!  I'm looking at the beverage packages and this has a me a bit confused - for example if I wanted a vodka and soda would that be a "spirit" or because of the mixer would that be a "cocktail"?

Second - we're on the Favaloosa - do they have a shop that rents men's apparel for the gala night?  We'll by flying, taking trains and what not - I am not hauling around dress clothes for my husband or stepson that they'll only wear once - but would be nice to have the option to rent on board for photos and such.

Thanks to anyone who has input or any other advice for our first Costa adventure!

Hi,

Spirits are Gin, Scotch, Vodka and the like, whatever you put with them, you order a Vodka & Soda you get the soda separate this is charged at two items both being under the $10 maximum, a cocktail is a mixture & you can choose any one that is under $10.

Any drink that exceeds the package limit is charged these are shown on the bar menu, and most waiter will inform you when ordering anything out of the package limit,

No need for any real formal attire for Men gala now means smart, anything from shirt & tie, jacket to nice sports shirt, some even do not do that. Not sure if Costa still hire out tuxes as stated above the real formal nights are dying out. 

Favolosa is a nice ship best bar for English speakers is wine bar aft deck five, do go to first English host's meeting they will tell you lots & you will see other guests. You will be seated on an English speaking table in MDR. 

If you really want to find out about tux hire email info@costa.it before you cruise.

Thank you Tenpin - that is most helpful!  Our room rate includes the Brindiamo package and I was trying to determine if I should upgrade or not to be able to order what we drink most without worrying about cost. I had originally planned to book a cabin type that included the Intenditori package but had to take what was available for the cruise we wanted.  

I really appreciate the information about the normal gala dress code as well!  I did not want to pack clothes for the two males that won't be worn more than one night with all the other travel we will be doing.

The English bar is nice to know as is the introduction.  My grandmother's first language was Italian and although the family does not speak it much since she passed away, I've been able to do okay on past trips to Italy.  My stepson is a bilingual English/Spanish speaker and we both speak and understand passable (although grade school level) German.  We're definitely excited about the fact that Costa will give us a more European experience than other cruise lines.

If you have any other tips or advice about the Favolosa you'd like to share, I'd love your input and suggestions.  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've cruised Costa 2x but not those ships.  There isn't a shop to rent formal wear, and you *might* be able to buy a dress on board at a steep price.  But I wouldn't count on rental of formal wear.  I would pack long pants and a jacket to be safe.  

Regarding the beverages.  As I recall, the basic beverage package includes basic beer, wine, and some basic cocktails (think rum and coke) with budget liquor.  For premium drinks including frozen daiquiri  and brand name liquor, you'll need the upgraded package.  

• Thanks 1

It is not worth up-grading any drinks package that comes with your cabin, just buy the extra drink you like, normally comes out cheaper. Sometimes you will get 50% discount on drinks not included & off bottles of wine.

There use to be formal wear hire onboard (not a shop) from room service, this was removed after the strictly formal nights were given over to Gala.

I am a Tux man myself, but have eaten in the Club restaurant with just a jacket and open necked shirt on Gala nights 31 cruises with Costa never once seen anyone turned away from MDR on formal/Gala nights but clearly stated no shorts, other than that seems anything goes, we sat at a table for eight once two in tux, one wearing a leather jacket  & one in jeans, great time was had by all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Depends on how much the ship is rolling.

lol! I don't drink, but if I did, I would definitely order one of the James Bond drinks...a Vesper martini, a vodka martini shaken not stirred, etc. 🙂 James Bond rules 🙂

• Haha 1