Uniworld - Paris/Normandy

57fishman74

My wife and I will be taking our second Uniworld cruise on August 30, 2020; this time their Paris/Normandy/Seine River offering on the Joie de Vivre.  We plan to arrive in Paris several days prior to the start of our  cruise and would like to visit some of the sites.  I see that Uniworld offers Masterpiece Collection shore excursions at extra cost, but does not list these excursions on their website, nor do they have a 2020 listing of them yet when I phoned them.  Does anyone have information on these Masterpiece excursions from 2018 or 2019?  We want to arrange our pre-cruise sightseeing and stay and potentially not overlap these special excursions offered by Uniworld.  Any info on what they offered in the recent past?  Thank you.  

we took this trip in Dec 2017.  It was the first time they offered a motorcycle sidecar trip through Paris. If I remember correctly it cost almost $200.  Also offered was a dinner at the Eiffel tower (cancelled because of high winds) and an evening at the Moulin Rouge.  There is so much to see in Paris, would go back again.  The JDV is a beautiful boat.  We loved her.

We are also from Ohio and big Uniworld fans.  Pat

• Like 2

My husband and I took this trip in 2019, basically the same week that you will.  On the last day, we took the motorcycle side car to Montmartre.  You only have a few minutes to walk around once you are there, but it was a highlight, and great way to see the city.  The same night, we went to Moulin Rouge, and it was also very entertaining. I originally didn't want to go but was glad that I did.  The trip to Mont Saint Michel was another Masterpiece trip and also amazing.  Uniworld did not offer the dinner at the Eiffel Tower but we made a reservation online at Le Jules Verne on the second platform months ahead.  They also have more casual dining on the first platform.  We were very busy on this trip.  We stayed in Paris a few days after the cruise.  My review is the newest one listed under the Joie de Vivre (see above: Research, Ships, Joie de Vivre,...)  

• Like 1

Found my itinerary.  The day before disembarkment was a full day in Paris.  Included was a Paris city tour (bus), Do as the Locals Do -  Ile de la Cite and Latin Quarter, or Seine bike ride.  The masterpiece Collection options included:  Parisian Gourmet tour 75 euros pp, Orsay Museum, 57 euros pp, Retro Sidecar Montmartre 91 pp euros during the day, 124 euros pp at night, and an evening at the Moulin Rouge, 203 euros pp.  The Mont Saint Michel trip earlier in the week cost 244 euros pp.

• Like 1

I highly recommend purchasing a Paris Museum Pass. Well worth the cost, and allows  you to "go to the front of the line." We also purchased advance tix to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and went to the Catacombs (on our first visit)  The Joie de Vivre is a stunning ship. Here's a link to my "review" from 2018.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 57fishman74 said:

Thanks for the tips Robin.  I had read your review previously in my preparations for our coming trip.  Lots of good info and photos in it! - Jim

We love Paris. Looking at the review again brought back such good memories. Having the nonstop from Cincy makes it so tempting. After watching the NYE celebration on the Champs Elysses, we're tempted to attend this coming year😁

• 4 weeks later...

I am also interested in any information regarding Masterpiece Collection options but for the Burgundy & Provence cruise on Uniworld. The Uniworld site only shows information for 2018 Masterpiece options for this cruise. Does anyone have personal experience with these options for 2019?

Our cruise is for early June 2020 Lyon to Avignon.

Do we need to wait until boarding to discover what the added tour options will be?  For example it looks like the included tour for Avignon is the Palace of the Popes in the morning, and in 2018 they also offered an afternoon trip to Pont du Gard. We would love to do both. Just trying to figure out if this will be available in 2020 or will I have to arrange to do it on our own.

Thanks!