Venice - MSC - check bag in without boarding

apple_cutie01

Hi all

Wondering if anyone could please help.  We will be cruising with the MSC cruise next year.  We have very limited time in Venice so would like spend a few hours before boarding the ship and make the most of it.  We will be arriving to Venice via train on the day of the cruise around 10:30.  Our ship is not due to depart before 16:30.  I know we will usually get an allocated time to check in closer to the date.  We were hoping it will be possible  to drop our luggage off first without boarding the ship and checking in to walk around Venice.  Is this possible? Has anyone had experience.  Your valued input is most appreciated.

cheers

4 hours ago, apple_cutie01 said:

Hi all

Wondering if anyone could please help.  We will be cruising with the MSC cruise next year.  We have very limited time in Venice so would like spend a few hours before boarding the ship and make the most of it.  We will be arriving to Venice via train on the day of the cruise around 10:30.  Our ship is not due to depart before 16:30.  I know we will usually get an allocated time to check in closer to the date.  We were hoping it will be possible  to drop our luggage off first without boarding the ship and checking in to walk around Venice.  Is this possible? Has anyone had experience.  Your valued input is most appreciated.

cheers

Yes but how much time you will have its different story. 

Also note since you are embarking, they will want you on a couple of hours before the ship departs if I understand things correctly.  You should see a latest time to check in on your papers three weeks out, or ask someone here with a comparable itinerary.

I would think that overall it would be far easier to find someplace near where you plan to be to check your bags instead of doing this.  That said, I dont see why you couldnt give all bags you dont want to keep with you for the day to the porter, check in and after waiting to get on the ship then exit the ship and do whatever things you wanted to do in Venice.  I dont have a sense of how far port is from the areas of Venice you wish to visit so I dont know how practical this would be.  I would NOT leave my bags with the porter without checking in unless someone advises theyve done that before and Id prpbably still be nervous to do so.

21 hours ago, apple_cutie01 said:

We were hoping it will be possible  to drop our luggage off first without boarding the ship and checking in to walk around Venice.  Is this possible? Has anyone had experience.  Your valued input is most appreciated.

Lugguage drop off and check in are two separate things. So this is no problem, you can do everything by walking from the train station. Actually we done this two times already when cruising from Venice. How far you can go in this rather small time window depends on your walking speed :D

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Lugguage drop off and check in are two separate things. So this is no problem, you can do everything by walking from the train station. Actually we done this two times already when cruising from Venice. How far you can go in this rather small time window depends on your walking speed 😄

So what if the luggage delivery for the room is ready but the person has not yet checked in? This wouldnt be a problem?  Airlines will remove your baggage if you choose to get off/ not take a flight where you have checked luggage due to security concerns.