SCENIC ECLIPSE Buenos Aires To Lisbon April 5th

TRIPACIAN

We haven’t seen a new thread on the Scenic Eclipse lately so I will start this one.  This is a 21 day repositioning cruise for the Eclipse from Buenos Aires to Lisbon with several interesting ports and 13 sea days.  We chose this cruise for several reasons but the main reason was to see and enjoy the ship, sea days certainly allow for this! 

Based on the Scenic website I don’t believe we will have a full ship as most room categories are still available and Scenic is discounting the fare.  The “less than fully booked” cruise should allow us to enjoy all of the dining venues during the 21 days but sometimes leads to a “quiet ship.”  I would encourage anyone interested in cruising on the Eclipse to take advantage of the discounted fare and join us on this cruise.

i don’t plan on doing a “live from” thread but will comment on anything I deem interesting as the cruise progresses.  I also want to thank everyone that has posted information and pictures on cruises to date, they have been much appreciated and informative!!

I'm sorry that's a really boring itinerary.  It misses out on so many opportunities, such as St Helena and Ascension Island, even Tristan da Cunha or, sailing along the coast of Brazil, the stunning Fernando da Noronha.  

25 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'm sorry that's a really boring itinerary.  It misses out on so many opportunities, such as St Helena and Ascension Island, even Tristan da Cunha or, sailing along the coast of Brazil, the stunning Fernando da Noronha.  

As I said the ship is really the destination!!  We are already spending time in South America before the cruise so the itinerary wasn’t a driving part of our decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking forward to following your cruise. The trip only needs to tick your boxes for what you feel is an enjoyable way to holiday, I wouldn’t worry if it’s “boring” for others, it’s not their journey.

I leave on the eclipse on the 3rd of February to the Antarctic and then again in August for Iceland & Greenland.  I’ll try to do a trip report also. 

• 2 months later...

Is your trip still happening or has it been canceled?  We see information about the cancellation of River cruises, but not ocean ones.  We are going on one of their French River cruises in June. We are hoping it happens.  We don’t go on our Eclipse cruise til next year, since our original one was canceled when the ship wasn’t finished.

31 minutes ago, Old Arne said:

Is your trip still happening or has it been canceled?  We see information about the cancellation of River cruises, but not ocean ones.  We are going on one of their French River cruises in June. We are hoping it happens.  We don’t go on our Eclipse cruise til next year, since our original one was canceled when the ship wasn’t finished.

As of today, yes!  We just learned that Portugal has banned cruise ships from disembarking passengers (other than Portuguese citizens) starting immediately.  Also, There have been unsubstantiated reports that Brazil has announced that after a date in April (?) cruise ships could not call on Brazilian ports.  Both of these factors will impact our cruise.

We are leaving on March 25th for Santiago, Chile and plan on spending 10 days prior to our cruise between Chile and Argentina.  We may not know about our cruise before we leave but we have alternate plans in the event that our cruise is canceled or severely compromised to the point that we elect to accept the expected refund offered by a Scenic.

We are very flexible in our travel and usually don’t get overly excited or worked up about unexpected events.  In this case we would be very disappointed if the cruise is canceled because we are really excited about this new ship!!  We are going ahead with our plans assuming the cruise will happen, wish us luck!

Well......just after writing the above post......

I just found out that Argentina is now requiring all visitors from the US and other countries to go through a 14 day quarantine upon entering the country.  This effectively makes it impossible for anyone from the US from boarding the Eclipse unless you arrive at least 14 days before boarding (and going through a 14 day quarantine).  Most hotels are not allowing guest to “self quarantine” in there hotel so it appears our trip will be canceled.

Scenic now has a problem and they have told me I should have an answer early next week. Oh well I guess we will have to reschedule this trip!!!

My TA has been advised that the cruise will be canceled by the end of the week.  I assume they are going to offer a full refund or 125% FCC which is what they did for all of the river cruises.

They really had no choice, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal all have denied entry into their country for individuals and cruise ships.  

I don’t think anyone knows when cruising will begin again.  Let’s all hope it isn’t too long!!  

Thanks Tripacian

Sorry about your trip cancellation.  This will make two aborted trips with Scenic-the first one was cancelled due to the shipyard strike and now this one.  Certainly not Scenic's fault but maybe its time to chill on near term cruising.

Please keep us posted with any communications with Scenic.

Scenic finally notified my TA that the cruise was canceled.  The bad news is they are not offering a cash refund at all only a future cruise credit equal to the amount paid.  This is disturbing because last week they offered river cruise cancellations “full refund”  or 125% fcc.

i suspect they had so many that requested the cash refund that they are now in financial trouble.  My TA is requesting a clarification from Scenic but I am not hopeful at all.  I suspect Scenic and many other cruise lines may be going out of business soon.  I hope not we love cruising and we are really concerned for the employees.

A further update!  

Today my TA spoke with a Scenic agent and she was told we could get a cash refund (by check in the mail) if we wanted!  While good news they would not put it in writing.  I am hopeful of getting a refund but not holding my breath!  By the way, I have researched future Scenic river and ocean cruises and if they survive (I hope for everyone’s sake they do) we will probably book with them.

Tripacian

Fingers crossed on a successful outcome re: your refund.  

I was just researching Force Majuer in the T&Cs when your updated posting

arrived.

Hoping that Scenic and all other cruise lines survive this crisis so we can some

day, look forward to another cruise.

Tripacian

Just wondering if there had been any further communications with Scenic.

I noticed that they just updated their "Trip Advisory" with the following comments:

-The 5 April 2020 sailing has been suspended(not cancelled)

-Cancellations for sailings thru 25 April 2020 will receive a "100% FCC" .  No refund or

125% FCC mentioned.

Hoping everything works out for you as we are next in line.

Well my TA just called Scenic to followup on their promise to send me a check.  As expected they denied that was said.  After further inquiry they admitted that they do show in their records that the agent did say that (and that it was subsequently denied by a manager) and we would not be receiving a refund.  They refuse to put anything in writing to me or my TA even though they admit they changed their mind.

I suspect that the owners (it is privately owned) are in cash flow problems which I can relate to with many business in similar situations.  What is disturbing is their lack of candor.  

I am willing to accept their offer of FCC but I am doubtful about the companies survival!

Tripacian

Certainly disconcerting news from Scenic and unfortunately, I agree with your thoughts

about their solvency.  

I too have a significant stake at risk and a bankruptcy filling would easily wipe the books clean

for Scenic. I'm not sure what the alternatives are at this point other than a class action suit for

breach of contract but Scenic has done this before on one of its River Cruises and the suit is still

ongoing(8 yrs +).

I hope for your sake and mine that they remain solvent and we are able to experience their "6 star

luxury" sometime in the future.  As for their business ethics, they have work to do.

Stay in Touch

Fandango 10

As a follow up to my situation... I have decided to accept their offer of fcc and I have booked a Duoro river cruise in 2021.  This. cruise is one we wanted to do and the timing works for us.  I am still concerned about the companies financial stability but really I have few other options.  

We hope to sail on the Eclipse someday and I wish everyone that has future bookings gets to enjoy the ship.  

• Like 1