71% price increase for in room liquor

CafeBruno

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For the high prices of hard liquor?  Have you ever gone to a nightclub/concert where they have "bottle service?"  To me, it's a little akin to what HAL is doing to let you have a "private place" to drink vs mingling with the masses at a bar.  It's not as outrageous as bottle service ($200 for a bottle of low-end vodka like Grey Goose, Kettle One), 2 bottle minimum at the table), but is does track a little,  

Great comparison. Thank you!

4 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Hence the quotes around "free".
We booked this about a year ago. When they had the promo for the SBP, I called our TA and asked if I could get it, as it was about a week after we booked.
The TA was able to get not only the SBP for both of us, but a "free" dinner for two in the Pinnacle Grill, a few hundred bucks of OBC, some courtesy OBC from the TA, and a welcome plate of chocolate covered strawberries. (ok, I like strawberries)
Yes, I could probably get it cheaper now, if it's not sold out, but overall I'm happy with the deal we got. And we got a good deal on Premium Economy seats with Delta and Air France.

We also like strawberries.  Like you, we sometimes book far in advance and then jump on the best air offerings as soon as they open up.  A few years ago we posted about one interesting experience soon after HAL started selling drink packages.  We booked, far in advance, a 42 day Oosterdam voyage.  At the time we booked it was expensive but had a great itinerary and included what was then the new all inclusive drink package and some OBCs.  A few months later HAL ended the special drink promotion and we noticed that our cabin category was now available for nearly $11,000 less.  We immediately called our cruise agent and told her to "reprice" the booking.  About an hour later she called us back and said she could save us about $11,000 on the cabin but we would lose the drink package!  We both had a good laugh about the "free" $11,000 drink package.  HAL has since offered the drink package at better prices :).  But the lesson with any cruise line is that folks should monitor pricing after they have booked because one never knows.  

Hank

• Like 1

On our last Atlantic cruise my wife hid a 0.25ml bottle of whiskey. Noone even bothered. Well, I drank it right before we passed the customs. Anyway, I am not sure that there is a very strict control regarding alcohol on board. I mean if you dont act stupid, dont drink in public and dont carry with you a dozen of bottles you should be alright IMHO

Edited by Roger88