Detailed New York Review

smyemar

Hi there.  Just wondering if anyone has read or seen an in depth cruise review out of NYC?  We are considering doing a September Radiance cruise and although I have been to NYC 9 years ago I am sure alot has changed.  We would be flying in a few days early to sightsee and we will not have a car.  There will be 3 of us husband , wife 18 year old daughter and I am hoping to get some ideas and inspirations.  If anyone has hotel recommendations or pictures we are willing to spend up to $350 per night just want a good location where Uber / taxis will be affordable.  I am thinking the hop on hop off and statue of liberty as well as a show but am open minded.  Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

To go up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, tickets need to be purchased months in advance.

Without a car, and your budget, you can get a very nice hotel midtown.  

Other options: 

Metropolitan Museum of Art

American Museum of Natural History and planetarium

Both of these may have very interesting special exhibits while you are there, so you can check their websites.

Book a cancellable reservation NOW!  Look at Marriott properties.  
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nyces-courtyard-new-york-manhattan-fifth-avenue/

Good Central location on 40th St near Bryant Park & 5th.

Prices are definitely a lot higher that week, so get a placeholder reservation now.  You can keep looking for a better deal, but that time of year is actually the highest season in NYC.

Well, since you will be there on 9/11, I’d visit the 9/11 memorial, museum, Observatory, oculus (actually 9/12 might be less crowded). My son and his girlfriend are actually on there way there right now, ironically they chose to visit before learning this morning that their Broadway Roulette tickets tonight are for Come From Away, a musical based on some events from that time. My daughters like to start at the vessel/Hudson yards, walk the high line, and have lunch in Chelsea market. Central Park is amazing and huge, museum of natural history is by there. Look at a map and group activities by areas.

Hop on/off buses can sit in traffic.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Well, since you will be there on 9/11, I’d visit the 9/11 memorial, museum, Observatory, oculus (actually 9/12 might be less crowded). My son and his girlfriend are actually on there way there right now, ironically they chose to visit before learning this morning that their Broadway Roulette tickets tonight are for Come From Away, a musical based on some events from that time. My daughters like to start at the vessel/Hudson yards, walk the high line, and have lunch in Chelsea market. Central Park is amazing and huge, museum of natural history is by there. Look at a map and group activities by areas.

Hop on/off buses can sit in traffic.

Do not visit the 9/11 Museum on 9/11.  There are ceremonies during most of the morning and early afternoon.  It will be crowded with mourning families and friends. Most of lower Manhattan will be a mess that day.  Besides that there are a ton of things to do in the rest of the island.  The High Line/Chelsea Market is a great idea, as well as the park, and other museums. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

Do not visit the 9/11 Museum on 9/11.  There are ceremonies during most of the morning and early afternoon.  It will be crowded with mourning families and friends. Most of lower Manhattan will be a mess that day.  Besides that there are a ton of things to do in the rest of the island.  The High Line/Chelsea Market is a great idea, as well as the park, and other museums. 

Yes, my mistake, I should’ve just erased, I end up watching it every year. I live close enough to have seen the smoke from that day.

I agree book hotel ASAP , we like michealanglo which most likely is a little too high , but Hilton on 6th and 53 also great location walking distance to Rockefeller center , Times Square, many museums. We like doing Uber or lyft also get both apps. There are several threads on best restaurants and broadway plays also. Prebuy 9/11 museum tickets, also might want to consider taking elevator to top , approx 25 a person , only do that if it is a clear day , but great views , also amazing elevator ride showing nyc being built. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I agree book hotel ASAP , we like michealanglo which most likely is a little too high , but Hilton on 6th and 53 also great location walking distance to Rockefeller center , Times Square, many museums. We like doing Uber or lyft also get both apps. There are several threads on best restaurants and broadway plays also. Prebuy 9/11 museum tickets, also might want to consider taking elevator to top , approx 25 a person , only do that if it is a clear day , but great views , also amazing elevator ride showing nyc being built. 

It’s actually a different building, a very short walk, closer to $38, but my son and his girlfriend had a great time there yesterday, splurged for dinner and were next to a window at sunset (they are 21 and still live the photo ops).

• Like 1