Colon Disembarkation & Civil Unrest

SGilly

Our Ponant Cruise ends in Colon in 3 weeks & we just received the following notice. Should I be concerned? Would Ponant change the itinerary?

Security Alert: Colon (Panama), Civil Unrest is Occurring in The Northern City of Colon

Event: Civil unrest is occurring in the northern city of Colon following protests related to high unemployment rates, affordable housing, community revitalization, and insecurity.  Protesters blocked city streets in approximately six locations throughout the city of Colon, preventing vehicular traffic from entering the city from the highway and halting traffic within the city completely.  Protesters lit tires on fire and began to clash with police.  Unaffiliated criminal elements in the city began to loot stores, target drivers in traffic for armed robberies, and Panamanian police report two incidents in which police exchanged gunfire with criminals on city streets.  As of 1300 hours local time, the protests continued.  Multiple streets in Colon remain blocked as a result of the ongoing civil unrest, and protesters are calling for more demonstrations in the next 24 hours, which may lead to increased security issues as the evening falls on the city.  

U.S. Embassy Panama has prohibited the travel of all Embassy personnel to Colon until further notice. 

Actions to Take: Avoid the area of Colon until further notice.

21 hours ago, SGilly said:

Would Ponant change the itinerary?

Yes.

Should you be in port during civil unrest, don't get off the ship. Cancel excursions as early as possible.

Edited by HappyInVan

13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes.

Should you be in port during civil unrest, don't get off the ship. Cancel excursions as early as possible.

The problem is, that this is the port where we are to disembark! We've hired a private driver, but question his ability to ride through town to get us...and then get us away from there! 😓

1 hour ago, SGilly said:

The problem is, that this is the port where we are to disembark! We've hired a private driver, but question his ability to ride through town to get us...and then get us away from there! 😓

Ohhh!

This is a tricky one. Did you book your air ticket through Ponant? They would be responsible for getting you home. 

They could divert if Colon is unsafe, and rebook the flight.

Alternately, you could get off at the last port and fly to Panama City airport? Do you have a TA?

Edited by HappyInVan

No, our flights we booked using points from Delta. 

Just watching the Seven Seas Mariner-it looks like they will be spending the day today in Colon...I'm going to see what they do...

I have contacted my TA who is from my Platinum Credit Card, she's of no value, needless to say I'd never use her again!!! 

On 1/10/2020 at 7:13 AM, SGilly said:

No, our flights we booked using points from Delta. 

Just watching the Seven Seas Mariner-it looks like they will be spending the day today in Colon...I'm going to see what they do...

Let us know how it goes. We're 100% behind you.