Packing for 14 night cruise to PNG ex Sydney

lissie

Freaking out here!  I usually pack  uber-light - carry-on only style.  I've bitten the bullet though and booked a flight that does include luggage LOL!   It still goes against my instincts and I'd like to try and get us down to one bag checked plus carry-ons. 

He's pretty sorted now - one dark suit, one jacket, 2 pairs of chinos, normal shorts and t-shirts for daytime. One pair of black formal shoes - one pair of sandals, one pair of swim shoes. 

I'm struggling a bit. I have the formal sorted - I have a long black dress - which can be dressed up various ways. But I'm still looking at a crazy number of shoes: travel sandals (for PNG), a couple of pairs of flats for day and non-gala nights and days, pair of heels fro gala, pair of dance shoes (because we are avid dancers) and a pair of swim shoes- because I'm also a keen swimmer/snorkeler and its all coral beaches. 

Questions: My  dance shoes are satin with  suede soles - they can't be warn outdoors. They are satin pumps - would they be OK to wear to dinner rather than dressy heels? I can't dance in my heels - so I need the dance shoes anyways - thinking of dumping  the heels. 

Do I need an evening bag? It hadn't even occurred to me and them someone suggested it. What do ladies use  them for  - given I don't  ID, money, keys - just a card - I was going to park  that in the man's pocket (isn't that what's men's jackets are for!) . What do you ladies use them for? (I don't wear makeup) 

During the daytime is wearing this type of shoe OK  https://thewalkingcompany.com.au/shop/arroyo-ii-black-olive-brown I will  have them anyways for walking in PNG - and for a few days we  have pre-tour. They are unbelievably comfortable and robust - but I'm prepared to admit they are a bit ugly. I will be wearing shorts or  summer skirts during the day. 

If I can minimize shoes: dance shoes, swim shoes, travel sandals - then I'd be much more confident we had the luggage under control. Given the climate the  clothing is a actually really light weight and I'd expect to do laundry.   

I know we could take more luggage - but I have a practical consideration. My partner has had heart issues but is now much better. I don't want him to over-exert himself  - and I would really rather deal with the luggage my self - he can  do the carry on stuff. Because of Sydney road works the train is the only really practical solution - which does mean  we will have a short walk to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. 

Edited by lissie

We had a trial packing yesterday and have a major problem. It all went in! (just) What have we forgotten?

14 hours ago, lissie said:

Questions: My  dance shoes are satin with  suede soles - they can't be warn outdoors. They are satin pumps - would they be OK to wear to dinner rather than dressy heels? I can't dance in my heels - so I need the dance shoes anyways - thinking of dumping  the heels. 

All the corridors and the dinning room are carpeted. The only exception I can think of would be the serving area at the Lido buffet.

If the shoes look OK with the dress I don't think anyone would even notice that they were dance shoes

14 hours ago, lissie said:

Do I need an evening bag? ... I was going to park  that in the man's pocket (isn't that what's men's jackets are for!) . 

That's what my wife does.

• Like 1