Putting to much thought into a cruise?

labs4ever

This is labs4evers' husband. I first want to say this forum is pretty awesome.

We need some HELP! We are stuck on where to go, on a cruise, in April. We keep going back and fourth and it is making us regret thinking about a cruise. I know we are putting way to much thought into things and just need some people to straighten us out!

There are 2 different cruises we were looking at but would like to pick the best one.

The first is a RC cruise on the Radiance OF The Seas - Labadee, Ocho Rios, George Town and Cozumel

The second is a Princess cruise on the Coral Princess - Ocho Rios, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Cristobal and Limon

Can anyone shed some light on the 2 different cruise ships and islands? We have been told that the Princess is an upscale cruise and they are very strict about wearing shorts, short sleeves, etc.

We do like to keep active with the excursions (ATV, snorkeling, wave runners, etc)

Thanks for any help! We do appreciate any opinions, anyone would have.

Never been on either cruise line but have heard and read good things about them so whichever you pick IS GOING TO BE GREAT FUN! Unless of course you end up not going at all.

We've done Western Carribean and are going again in a few weeks. Choosing our cruises has been easy as they have all been Green Bay Packer player cruises except Alaska. All other things being equal, it looks like you get more for your money with Princess but there are too many other factors.

If it's a matter of you leaning one way and your wife leaning the other, I have a tried and true method that works 100% of the time. The cruise your wife would like is going to be the best cruise you will ever be on. :D

Really, the sea is the same, the ports are basically the same, the food is going to be great, service is probably going to be very good either way. The sooner you decide the sooner you can start looking forward to it and with it being in April, times a wasting! :)

I agree with packercruising; don't "over-think" the question. All major cruise lines deliver a very good experience...if they didn't then they wouldn't be a major cruise line for long. While you will find things that you don't like on any cruise, you will find many more things that you enjoy. Just pick an itinerary that interests you on a ship that you think you will like and you will have a great time.

I haven't sailed with RC, but I have enjoyed both Princess and Holland America. Personally, I think the itinerary makes the big difference, not the specific cruise line.

I haven't been on either of these ships or itinerary, the only thing I would like to mention is your time frame for cruising. Unless you have children or one of you is a teacher and has a week off for spring break, I'd wait and go the last week in April or in May.

Spring break (usually runs from the middle of March through the middle of April) the ships are overrun with families, it is crowded, the prices are higher and not nearly as pleasant as cruising at a different time of the year. Not to mention 600 plus kids, many of them running around unsupervised. If you hang around here long enough, you will read the same spring break reviews every year.

That said, unless you already have a cruise booked for that time, you might find slim pickings for the spring break period, it does sell out early.

Can anyone shed some light on the 2 different cruise ships and islands? We have been told that the Princess is an upscale cruise and they are very strict about wearing shorts, short sleeves, etc.

Thanks for any help! We do appreciate any opinions, anyone would have.

I think you've gotten some good advice from the others so don't want to reiterate what was already said. It's good that HappyK's jumped in about the timing and kids. I know I'd hate to be on a cruise full of kids during spring break!

However, one point you made that I want to clarify is the one about wearing shorts and and short sleeves on Princess. I've been on Princess that you can certainly wear shorts and short sleeved shirts. However, are you referring to wearing them in the dining room at night? If so, then Princess would not want you to do that. I've never been on RC, so I can't comment on them.

Have a great cruise. You can't go wrong on either one.

Jane

Shorts and short sleeves are fine at any time during the day on either line but no shorts after 6pm on either line. If you don't have kids then I suggest going with Princess because RCCI tends to have more kids, especially during spring break time. Don't stress so much. Just toss a coin and go.

no shorts after 6pm on either line.

I have been on both RCCL and Princess, and there is no restrictions on wearing shorts except in the main dining rooms. The time of day does not matter. To quote from the Princess website (http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html#attire), In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Thus, one can't wear shorts in the dining rooms at noontime or 6pm. Other than the dining room, one can wear shorts anytime of the day that they want. (Since most folks go to shows directly after eating in the main dining rooms, you will find that most do not wear shorts to these events, but it's mainly a matter of timing rather than an outright restriction.)

As others have stated, both cruise lines are very similar and thus your choice should probably be based more on Itinerary.

Archived