"City Sightseeing" Shuttle from Naples to Pompeii

pianobar

Does anyone have any experience with the City Sightseeing shuttle from the Port of Naples to Pompeii? 

The cost seems reasonable at 15 euro each. We haven't been to Naples before but the pickup spot is "Via Acton - Molo Beverello" which seems to be directly in front of the cruise port entrance. Is that correct?

I understand the train to Pompeii can be a bit of a nightmare so this looks like a reasonable alternative.

Would be interested to hear of anyone's experience.

Thanks.

Yes, the pickup spot is right in front of the cruise port so it couldn't be easier.  The biggest downside to this option is that you have limited options for return times, but if what they offer fits with your needs it's the easiest among the DIY options.

The regular commuter train (the Circumvesuviana) is desperately overcrowded and, because of that as well as the numerous stops, it's a great hunting ground for pickpockets.   The Campania Express train is better but it also only has a few runs per day and you still have to get from the cruise port to the train station (about a mile and a quarter).

We did this trip in early Dec 2019 on the City Sightseeing bus. Don't confuse this with their HOHO. This one goes straight to Pompeii, but does have just a few pick up areas. No one was at the other areas, so we didn't stop at the pickups.

There are two schedules: summer with three trips or races and winter with two. The pick up area for the summer race really is right by the port and the one for the summer is maybe just a three minute easy walk from that one. You need to walk past the Castle. 

We found the time sufficient and had about thirty minutes to spare. The bus was very efficient and the drop off point was right by the ticket office. 

We had considered taking the train, but the CSSBus seemed easier, and I think it was although I have never been on that train.

Also, we used a combination of Rick Steves' free audio app of Pompeii and his tour described in his books. I had an 2012 Rome book and just tore out the sections and stapled them together. The map given out at the ticket office was a bit overwhelming. We did just fine. I would have purchased the really nice book with overlays before I entered if I had known how nice they were. It's called "Pompeii Herculaneum: In the Shadow of Vesuvius" and was 8 Euro. 

You really don't need an official tour if you use Rick Steves.   His simpler maps made it easy. 

Thanks for your help. Today we booked the City Sightseeing Shuttle to Pompeii. The available times worked for our schedule. In fact, the price ended up being cheaper than advertised...€13.50 each instead of €15. We've read several postings recommending the Rick Steves audio app of Pompeii. We'll give it a try.