CC meeting, pirate night, star wars days questions

mjonis

Does Disney participate in any sort of Cruise Critic "meet'n'greet"?  I know RCL, Carnival, and MSC do, just couldn't seem to find the right wording to search on this forum for such a beast.

Also:

Looks like our cruise will have Star Wars day on it.  Do we need to dress up or something for that?  Is that a "thingy" you have to sign up/register for?

And the Pirate Night:

I'm assuming this is standard and I guess it shows up on your plans, so it's an "open" event?  (no need to register for it)?

Lastly, I saw a vlog thingy on YouTube and it sounded like there was some sort of event/FB thing you could get for $18 and "open bar", which sounded like a reasonable offer, although after 2 drinks I'm probably toast, LOL!  Does anyone know what that is (or is that part of like the CC meet'n'greet or is that organized by the group?)

Disney Cruise Line does not automatically organize programs for Cruise Critic members. However, some cruise planning groups may plan their own informal meet-and-greets or book private events. The event you saw on the vlog sounds like a privately-organized program, which the organizer paid to book through Disney Cruise and charged people to attend. It used to be possible to book an event and funnel payments directly to Disney Cruise, but I think that stopped and organizers now need to pay in advance.

You do not need to dress up for Star Wars Day at Sea, although some guests will. There will be special meet-and-greets and other programs throughout the day, some of which require advanced reservations and some which don't.

Pirate Night consists of a special dinner menu, shows on the pool deck, and a few pirate-themed programs. None of these require advanced reservations, unless you want a pirate makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are many cruise oriented groups on various boards and social media sites.  They are welcome to organize their own meet and greet activities, but DCL does not sponsor or organize these events.  The most common meet locations are public locations like one of the lounges or a specific pool deck location on the first afternoon.  3pm was a popular time for years.  At one point DCL offered to charge us to reserve a room for the event...so we just used a public area.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, mjonis said:

Does Disney participate in any sort of Cruise Critic "meet'n'greet"?  I know RCL, Carnival, and MSC do, just couldn't seem to find the right wording to search on this forum for such a beast.

Also:

Looks like our cruise will have Star Wars day on it.  Do we need to dress up or something for that?  Is that a "thingy" you have to sign up/register for?

And the Pirate Night:

I'm assuming this is standard and I guess it shows up on your plans, so it's an "open" event?  (no need to register for it)?

Lastly, I saw a vlog thingy on YouTube and it sounded like there was some sort of event/FB thing you could get for $18 and "open bar", which sounded like a reasonable offer, although after 2 drinks I'm probably toast, LOL!  Does anyone know what that is (or is that part of like the CC meet'n'greet or is that organized by the group?)

1) Meet & Greet - cruise groups typically organize these.  Various different types of social media often have cruise groups for your particular cruise you can find.  Search for the ship & date and you may have luck finding those.  

2) SWDAS is nothing you have to sign up for.  You will see many people dressed up and many people NOT dressed up.  We've done a SWDAS cruise twice and one of those families that dress up.  There will be things to sign up for, however, if you want to do them.  Those include some of the character meet & greets (such as Darth Vader, the droids, etc.).  You'll have signup for those available when your booking window opens.  Also do not let it discourage you if you go to signup and there are no times available.  Disney often holds back some spots for people that book last minute.  If you are not able to get what you want, do keep checking the site every week and if that does not work, DO go to guest services as soon as you get onboard to see if you can book.

3) Pirate night - Very standard across most sailings.  It is an open event.  Some people get really into it and others not so much.  There is a stage show that takes place on the pool deck usually.  A pirate menu also is in the MDR depending on the sailing.  I do believe on SWDAS sailings there is no pirate menu, but don't hold me to that.  Disney changes things up sometimes.

4) Those are private party experiences and some cruise groups do that or set up cruise group specific mixologies.  Disney changed their policy about private Mixology sessions last year and require payment entirely up front rather than individually billing staterooms once onboard.  This has discouraged many cruise groups from organizing those.  I imagine the same would be the case for the catered cruise group meet & greets.  Really, you'd need to find a group for your sailing and see what things they have discussed/have planned to really know what was happening on your sailing.

• Like 1